Review Positives and Negatives vs Demons - Round 18

Remove this Banner Ad

We missed Hurn, unsurprisingly, and I also think we miss Cripps more than we maybe expected. He's a great link-up player and works so hard on transition. He's important for our ball movement and also forward-half hustle.
4th in our 2018 B&F, so it shouldn't come as a surprise at this point! We may be able to cover Cripps for raw scoring power, but his intelligent, hard running is sorely missed. His absence definitely contributed to our stagnation and lack of release options against the Pies in the 2nd half.

Last edited:
According to the Melbourne board, the cumulative fourth quarter score in our two games this year:

Melb - 2.5.17, WC - 10.4.64.

We continue to find ways to humiliate Melbourne. Pic related.

359df180701dee43d2ec115cd039aa69.jpg

Simple drop Allen and get him up the ground and feed the ball through him.

He’s better than in 2018 and he produced more then than Allen has this year. At the moment Allen is a jack of all trades and we’ve carried him all year.

Allen over Waterman is Simpsons biggest mistake this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree his score involves and ball pressure are better but OA there cause MCworry about JK longevity and he can play 3 positions, just at the right time when we have strings of injuries. Having said that this kid will be golden in 2 years.

Sure a win is good and always better than losing no matter where you sit on the ladder, but i din't see the killer instinct this year that we had last year. We have seen far too many games where we have put the cue in the rack for quarters or even longer, where as last year we were ruthless and put teams to the sword with pressure all over the ground, at times the way teams move the ball away from a stoppage or up the ground we look like a bottom team.

Unless there is a dramatic change i don't see us pushing for the flag this year, we just don't seem quite right with our intent for long periods. I'm happy to be proven wrong though and you cannot right this club off, it seems we are cruising through most games.

Sadly it looks like we have seen the best of JK, he is definitely slowing down, it's been a month now of reasonably poor performances, i'm not worried about lack of goals, it's the other parts of his game, the pressure when it's on the deck has gone missing, he does not crash the packs that often, he is either injured or father time is catching up, which for our club is pretty common when players hit their thirties, you only have to look at history to see that, one of our best Dean Cox dropped off really quick in his thirties, as well as a host of others, however for now he still deserves a spot every week as he takes the best defender and frees up others, once that stops happening then he may become someone we cannot keep in the team.

The impressive part of this club is the willingness to keep picking the young guys, we do have a lot of youngsters getting games, that can only be positive for the future. Watson did not look out of place at all yesterday and you would hope he stays and Cole goes out next week if Hurn is right, Cole is just off the pace this year.
One word, injuries

I
i though so too. after that putrid game against Hawthorn, he has lifted nicely.
I have a love - hate feeling with this guys, if he do his role well as link man, we are golden (remember Fletcher) which would release Gaff to attacking wing (++ inside 50). But his inconsistency and gutless at time are killing me.

Whilst Kennedy is definitely fumbling some pack marks that he usually does take, there were broader problems with our kicking inside 50 again.

Forwards not fully gelling with each other yet, but not enough lowering the eyes either. Reckon we should've finished with more than 9 marks inside 50, got it in there enough.

But I'm glad we just keep ticking over the wins with all this scope for improvement within reach.

Whilst Kennedy is definitely fumbling some pack marks that he usually does take, there were broader problems with our kicking inside 50 again.

Forwards not fully gelling with each other yet, but not enough lowering the eyes either. Reckon we should've finished with more than 9 marks inside 50, got it in there enough.

But I'm glad we just keep ticking over the wins with all this scope for improvement within reach.
I agree that JK is not holding his pack marks but pack marks are not really his thing.Its only in the last couple of years that hes been going the big fly.His forte has always been leading.Its a two edged sword because when he was leading we were too JK centric.Now with JD in stellar form and OAllen the golden child in the vicinity and a plethora of speedy smalls there is less room or need for him to lead.He is doing the grinding work and making space.I think he is very important to our setup and he will still have big days when oppositions give him a mismatch.I think its a rare thing to get this much talent in one forward line.

I'm away at the moment so only saw the first quarter live and re-played the last quarter this morning. Some of the melts on here are ridiculous, we absolutely dominated them in both quarters. Sure we dropped the bundle in the third, but the fact we came back so strongly indicates we're a level above.

The talk of JK being shot is crazy - he kicked two goals FFS and crashed several packs. The last thing we want is him remaining our number 1 forward right until retirement (eg Buddy for Sydney), as the team will be screwed once he retires.

It is really pleasing to see how well JD has taken the number 1 mantle in the last few weeks. If all goes well, JK hangs around as the 2nd or 3rd tall through to the end of next year while Allen takes on more responsibility, allowing a seamless transition.

I'm away at the moment so only saw the first quarter live and re-played the last quarter this morning. Some of the melts on here are ridiculous, we absolutely dominated them in both quarters. Sure we dropped the bundle in the third, but the fact we came back so strongly indicates we're a level above.

The talk of JK being shot is crazy - he kicked two goals FFS and crashed several packs. The last thing we want is him remaining our number 1 forward right until retirement (eg Buddy for Sydney), as the team will be screwed once he retires.

It is really pleasing to see how well JD has taken the number 1 mantle in the last few weeks. If all goes well, JK hangs around as the 2nd or 3rd tall through to the end of next year while Allen takes on more responsibility, allowing a seamless transition.
JK is a workhorse. He has been his whole career. The longer he goes without interruption, the better he gets. Whenever he's had interruption during the season, he takes a while to get back to full flight. He's had an interrupted year, and as he gets older, it'll just take longer to get back to top form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BT just said "Melksham at the bottom of the pack"

The guy didnt even play

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Slight sideways rant: when people defend the idea of having numbers on the Australian test team shirts (which look like s**t), they say it's so the commentators can pick up who's who. I point them to AFL commentators who have never been able to do this.

Slight sideways rant: when people defend the idea of having numbers on the Australian test team shirts (which look like s**t), they say it's so the commentators can pick up who's who. I point them to AFL commentators who have never been able to do this.
In a slight defence of AFL commentators,, when saying lots of names relatively quickly, it would be easy to miss speak, and call a wrong name, immediately knowing it's wrong. Which is generally not a situation you get in cricket.

I could never be a commentator for this reason, I would constantly struggle to bring up the right name of players I knew, quickly enough to keep up with play.

Some are better than others though, and BT is particularly bad.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

In a slight defence of AFL commentators,, when saying lots of names relatively quickly, it would be easy to miss speak, and call a wrong name, immediately knowing it's wrong. Which is generally not a situation you get in cricket.

I could never be a commentator for this reason, I would constantly struggle to bring up the right name of players I knew, quickly enough to keep up with play.

Some are better than others though, and BT is particularly bad.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

I have done WAFL commentating and it can be extremely difficult calling players names when the play moves so quickly, but that just means you don’t call their name unless you know it’s them. It’s also a bit harder to know everyone in the WAFL or lower tier comps coz they’re not seen every week on tv, however, Ryan and Rioli & co have been playing AFL long enough for any decent commentators to know which one is which.

Dropping the bundle

Not really. In the heat of the game when your team has conceeded 7 of the last 8 goals...You reckon it's all petals and roses?

Gov is tough -need an elephandt gut to sideline him

The concerning part is Gov is halfway there!

Everyone bagging out Cole...

Keep in mind the kid lost his Dad and won a flag in 2018. He has been/is on a pretty wild rollercoaster ride for a young man. He's shown he has the talent, just needs to find some form.

I have done WAFL commentating and it can be extremely difficult calling players names when the play moves so quickly, but that just means you don’t call their name unless you know it’s them. It’s also a bit harder to know everyone in the WAFL or lower tier comps coz they’re not seen every week on tv, however, Ryan and Rioli & co have been playing AFL long enough for any decent commentators to know which one is which.
Exactly, they are both Jetta

Dropping the bundle

Not really. In the heat of the game when your team has conceeded 7 of the last 8 goals...You reckon it's all petals and roses?
I have no issues with melts in the game day thread or even an hour or so after. It just seemed to me that some people were going very early on needing to retire JK.

Everyone bagging out Cole...

Keep in mind the kid lost his Dad and won a flag in 2018. He has been/is on a pretty wild rollercoaster ride for a young man. He's shown he has the talent, just needs to find some form.

Completely agree. But I think it gets to a stage when a player *s up enough that it starts to be detrimental to their game. He is playing without confidence and nearly every contest he goes into I cringe as he is usually first to the ball but is often trying to subtly dive on it and immediately make it like it was dragged under him by someone else/accident lets have a ball up.
I understand that is a key part of a defenders game but he is doing more often than not and then if he does end up with the football IIRC his OOTF's are the roof since the clanger riddled Sydney game that saw him omitted.
This is without mentioning how many times he caught out of position when the ball comes in the F50 in the air. But al ot of our defenders have been getting that one wrong for a few games now so he isn't on his lonesome there.

Some of the teams we have been playing dont even make a pretence about blocking our key marking defenders.They just come in from the side and dish out a good 'ol hip and shoulder; half the time its before the ball is even in the vicinity.This year we are paying the price for winning a premiership with one of the AFLs great marking sides.Umpire protection you say?? Its all part of the AFLs equalisation programme.Id say they would almost cream themselves if GWS won the premiership.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back