Review Positives and Negatives vs Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure many expected to win that. Fought like hell for a half, rolled over for a quarter, fought like hell after the restart. A tough one to make heads or tails of, as the bad was so so bad but the good was all that we’ve been asking for.

Liked the fight back. Simmo had them all in the rooms, no communication excuses or inability to put in place whatever he wanted, and the players had a chance to come out and show something. They did. Pleasing.

Why can’t they do it for sustained periods? Why couldn’t they do it for Hurn? These are things that need to be solved. There’s a shred of contested footy in this list somewhere, we’ve shown it in flashes, so lean into it next season and figure it out.

Scoreboard wise probably better than many, including me, expected. Langdon’s miss and Pickett’s flop on half time swing the game, but so to do any number of Melbourne misses and our tough kicks make it look worse.

Result was fair. Signs that there’s some bastard in this team. How do we find it consistently is the question?

Fire away.

I feel kind of conflicted, which probably isn't fair.

I should be proud of the fightback, but it just serves as a reminder of the unfulfilled potential that we have. So it's more of a frustration.

I'm frustrated that Allen isn't played as a permanent forward most of all, to be honest.

The thought that we're likely going to miss finals with this list is absolutely galling to me. I really hope it brings some deep changes within the club.

Positives: 4th quarter proved we have a capable playing group of going deep into the finals when playing attacking footy.
Negative: we have a coach that will waste our talented group and he wont be moved on until key players retire and our premiership window has closed

That last 15 minutes showed what could happen if the players were allowed to play free flowing football and enjoy their game.
We were good enough to win if we played like that the whole game.

Massive positive when Simpson was unable to influence them.

Negative: the rest of the game where Simpson had the hand brake on.

That last 15 minutes showed what could happen if the players were allowed to play free flowing football and enjoy their game.
We were good enough to win if we played like that the whole game.

Massive positive when Simpson was unable to influence them.

Negative: the rest of the game where Simpson had the hand brake on.
Do you think they just chatted amongst themselves and made brunch plans during the pause?

Sorry to intrude but I think Mathew Nicholls has something personal against West Coast. Diabolically bad decisions/non decisions against you guys tonight from him. Some of his calls/non calls were quite frankly bizarre and lacked consistency. Would love to say I'm surprised but I am not.
Yes, he is a massive prolapsed va jay jay

+if that last 10 minutes was driven by a Simpson directive, there's hope

-if that last 10 minutes was driven by the players effectively flipping the bird to Simpsons gameplan, he needs to wise up or we need to move him on. Quickly.

+
Kelly, Yeo and Nic Nat contributed really well. Yeo gave up some silly frees, but he showed a lot of grunt in and around the contest
Hutchings did a decent job on Oliver - who was always going to get touches, but perhaps he wasn't as damaging as normal
Just when we needed a spark in the fourth, lighting came on and was BOG for me

Meh
Redden did some nice things but can't be excused for that ball watching error which led to a Melb player taking an uncontested mark in D50 and goal
Thought Witherden was better today - but still prone to some silly turnovers. Should be encouraged to continue taking risky kicks to improve
There seemed to be more tackling and pressure - not sure if due to rain (more contested game) or something they've actually tried to implement during the week. Still too many tackles that don't stick though

-
Hurn's hammy - likely to miss rest of H&A season (read: rest of season)
O. Allen needs to stay in attack - pre lighting he was almost unseen for the whole game. Barass coming back from injury should help this
Vardy - Nothing needs to be said here that we all don't already know

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People praising the comeback need to realise that almost all the scoring was at that end .

It was a howling 3 to 4 goal breeze.

Melbourne were better at using run and carry into the breeze and were more efficient with it .

They had the exact same dominance as we did in the third but they kick their goals and we missed ( allen Kelly langdon ) .

Positives - fought back (but was that due to lightning?), pretty unlucky with umpiring decisions throughout the 2nd half, but if you really on umpires you aren't going to be very good

Negatives - 3rd quarter was horrendous. Not sure what happened there. Season could well be over now though Brisbane will probably rest a heap of players in rd 23 playing for nothing

People praising the comeback need to realise that almost all the scoring was at that end .

It was a howling 3 to 4 goal breeze.

Melbourne were better at using run and carry into the breeze and were more efficient with it .

They had the exact same dominance as we did in the third but they kick their goals and we missed ( allen Kelly langdon ) .
So it was the scoring end. And we were down after having one quarter that way while our opponents had two. So our final quarter that way doesn’t count?

Gov, Kelly, Nic Nat and Yeo played their hearts out. We genuinely tried hard in this one and like so many that’s all I want to see. Some damn pride. As mentioned above shame we can’t sustain it for four quarters but goes to show when we move the ball with some god damn urgency and hunt the ball and pressure we have enough talent to do real damage.

2021 will always be the year we underperformed, the question is will it also be the year of hard truths and change?

Time will tell but I’m quite certain we won’t be making finals with GWS, Richmond and Tigers certain to overtake us if they win their last two.

Time will tell but I’m quite certain we won’t be making finals with GWS, Richmond and Tigers certain to overtake us if they win their last two.
GWS play Richmond and Tigers next week so they can't all win out

Jack Darling is a joke of a footballer at the moment and should've been dropped a long time ago. THAT right there is on Simpson.

Anyone being a faux upbeat about Simpson and his coaching probably didn't treck it through the rain sit through that rubbish and now at a cold trainstation waiting for a bus to take them home on a weeknight.

Probably calling it from the comfort of their warm house and lounge room

Went to the game as per Nesbitt and the clubs plea, and once again they dish up a load of total s**t for their loyal supporters at the game.

The lightning resumption once the game had finished and everyone left meant nothing.

Time for change. We all know it. Simpson knows it, he just won't admit it.

First quarter we were probably on top but killed ourselves with poor skill execution.

Second quarter we tidied up the ball movement but squandered our chances at goal. We were on top but struggling to find any rhythm.

Third quarter and the ugly side we all feared came out on prominent display. Dees probably got the right return as they stuffed up their easy shots and nailed the tricky ones. Defenders got hung out to dry by the midfield and then doubled down with some of the most abominable kicking. Smfh. We had turned back into a rabble.

Fourth quarter it looked like the rout would continue but some divine intervention and the lightning break. We then played our best 15 minutes of footy since 2019.

We still have so many more questions than answers but gee it was good to see the boys finally play some footy free of fear.

Trust. In the game plan, in their team mates. It's been lost but far out we still have the talent to do something next year if the boys can find it again.

The better team won. Simmo's press conference is as good as watching that Iraqi foreign minister days before the USA invaded Baghdad. Totally delusional. The only positive these days is post game conference. Good luck changing a game plan in a pre-season. Just resign before it gets embarrassing. New start fresh ideas. 7 years is a great effort, thank you for all you have done. Time to go Simmo.

GWS play Richmond and Tigers next week so they can't all win out

I’m aware of this but only two of them need to get up for us to go out.

Essendon have Gold Coast and Collingwood as last two games. Very good chance to win both and finish with a superior percentage to us and 44 points

GWS have Richmond and Carlton. If they win both they will finish on 46 points

Richmond have GWS and Hawks. They would also finish on 44 points if they win both and currently have 5 points on us in percentage

We need to win next two to guarantee a finals berth because if we only win next week and two of the three teams above win twice we are out and this is what I was alluding to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back