Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Dogs - Rd 18, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Partly body language. A good part is, someone like Hutchings if trying to chase someone down, looks like he is making an effort, arms pumping, pounding the ground, even though he may not actually be going that fast, Jetta on the other hand, has a more effortless stride, it does not look like it requires effort. This is false, laws of physics etc, but it leaves fans thinking, `put some effort into it, why doesn't he care enough to try hard?` He is, trying hard, he is going faster than Hutchings.

If he doesn't get a lot of the ball, it looks like he just cruises around at half pace, not trying to do anything.

People say we need to keep Venables in the team for his skills, but if Jetta has a game with the sort of stats Venables get, they would call for him to be dropped, despite better skills than Venables imop.
Yeah but stats aren't everything. You expect way more from a senior player playing a vital role, compared to a first year player.
If we had that mentality, Josh Hill would still be on the list and getting games ahead of Rioli and DV.

non of our mids got over 10 contested possessions. Yeo got 10 but its less than his season average. Boots had 6 which is basically unheard of him these days.

That said we won the contested possession count and we had way too much class on the outside to cut the dogs on the outside. This game would have been real ugly(for the dogs) if it wasn't as windy and we weren't too cute.

Was a bit of a nothing game really, the kind of game where you know you're a good side because you put away an undermanned and struggling side without looking super sharp yourself. The Dogs gave us so much space in that game we almost didn't know what to do with it sometimes and we stuffed up a lot of simple forward fifty entries. Bartel said we were outworking them massively, which is partly experience and endurance but I think we just ran to smarter spots a lot of the time too. We never really looked rushed going forward, took our time to set up well and competed decently in the contests.

My biggest positive was seeing a few of the lesser lights have really good games in Jetta, Masten and Cripps. They've all been up and down this year but had very influential games today.

Biggest negative was that we had a chance for a huge percentage booster but ended up with merely a good one. That's all really, I think we looked flat and didn't have to work as hard as a lot of other games this year, so we didn't. You can't be great all the time though and I have no doubt we'll lift the intensity levels in a hotter game. We looked at the Bulldogs 2 goal start and just mowed them down in the next 20 minutes and basically had the game won halfway through the second.

Was a bit of a nothing game really, the kind of game where you know you're a good side because you put away an undermanned and struggling side without looking super sharp yourself. The Dogs gave us so much space in that game we almost didn't know what to do with it sometimes and we stuffed up a lot of simple forward fifty entries. Bartel said we were outworking them massively, which is partly experience and endurance but I think we just ran to smarter spots a lot of the time too. We never really looked rushed going forward, took our time to set up well and competed decently in the contests.

My biggest positive was seeing a few of the lesser lights have really good games in Jetta, Masten and Cripps. They've all been up and down this year but had very influential games today.

Biggest negative was that we had a chance for a huge percentage booster but ended up with merely a good one. That's all really, I think we looked flat and didn't have to work as hard as a lot of other games this year, so we didn't. You can't be great all the time though and I have no doubt we'll lift the intensity levels in a hotter game. We looked at the Bulldogs 2 goal start and just mowed them down in the next 20 minutes and basically had the game won halfway through the second.
yes, that's how it appeared to me, we opened them up and there seemed to be more time+space for players such as mentioned, to shine...and in parts it touched on 'champagne footy' or lairizing, cute chip around stuff that actually got tedious. but good in that everyone gets a confidence boost if not a large percentage boost. Simmo looked frustrated at times in the box.

whatever it is with Jets body language, am just glad that he's hit some form, this is the Jets we expected..
If he keeps playing like that, his body language can appear to be anything it wants..

Last edited:
Thought he was excellent; in the first term, everything he touched turn to gold. One of those one touch players; created inside 50s and score assists out of plays where other players would have just been happy to lock it up and force a stoppage.
Cheers, really excited to see him develop.

Venables hunts;and hunts at pace ,with intensity! Rioli does the same.If we could get Petrol in there doing the same;with his pace; we would be frightening.Masten actually took the game on a few times;did the old sidestep which ive not seen him do before.Still did the usual cockups tho!!.Cripps must learn to compete in the air.If the ball comes in long and he is the only WCE in the vicinity,he cant just stay on the ground and allow the opposition an uncontested mark.Doesnt matter how big the bloke is you have to go! Hurn got off!! Phew! We must keep the rotations going in the guts as we started to slow near the end.Good teams will not let that go unchallenged.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back