Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Essendon Rd 11 - Season Over Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed. Shep is well down at the maoment but he was outstanding in 2018. However Schofield's GF game was outstanding and he may have been a better fit than Shep.

Shep looks really sore and tired and he looks clearly like he is carrying something. One on One defense is foreign to our guys however and maybe it is taking its toll as the players have never really done it? Watch us closely especially live and you will see our forwards allow their opponents front spot at centre bounces and our backs allow the opposition also front spot. Bizarre to watch our backman allow our opponents front spot.

Watch us closely especially live and you will see our forwards allow their opponents front spot at centre bounces and our backs allow the opposition also front spot. Bizarre to watch our backman allow our opponents front spot.
No wonder when we hack kick it from CB our guys are always behind but when Essendon hack kick it forward the guys in front marks it while our defenders are a metre behind.

Its not like we are giving up at the end of games. Our forward line effiiciency makes us look better than what we are. Even when we were up by a bit, they still had more scoring shots than us. We cant keep that up all game. Its been happening all year.

Yup, I actually called it that we'd lose when we were 5 goals up because it was just looking exactly like the game against GWS, and the Saints and several other games where we were playing like s**t but being kept in it by our insane efficiency going forward. Our forward line is papering over some seriously big cracks.

The worst thing of all is the lack of confidence;the ability to take risks;
Defenders mark in the middle of the ground at CHB and immediately stop,prop,look around [sometimes with nobody within cooee] and then....wait for it..turn sideways and chip to the boundary.Now i realise we need to retain possession but sometimes you need to charge forward and open up the play.
Players [ yes you J.Reddan] continually take the ball and turn defensively,often handballing to a stationary teammate. So rarely do we sell a dummy and explode forward.Our whole defence has become jitterty and nervous.Steering little kicks instead of kicking through the ball.Even Hurn did it on the weekend.Nelson and Rotham both do it.A 30m pass becomes a s.l..owwww 24m pass and lands in front of the intended target immediately putting them under pressure.
Gaff,Reddan and Sheed? Somethings gotta give there.Too slow.They even start behind their opponent at some centre bounces.If ya cant outrun your opponent the maybe we need to out strategise them.Work closer,work together.
It looks like everyones playing for themselves.When we are winning its wooha but when we start losing nobody rolls up the sleeves and gets dirty.Wheres the pride?? Wheres the love??

Our main problem is our defence and defensive aspects of our game. Tackling, ground ball, contested possessions etc. We generally look great when we have the ball in space and use our skills and marking to advantage. As soon as it hits the deck or gets into a contested situation, we are stuffed.

There's a reason why we are by far number one for points against in the top 8. You can't go far in a season without a solid defensive system. Our balance between offence and defence is completely out of whack.

Its not like we are giving up at the end of games. Our forward line effiiciency makes us look better than what we are. Even when we were up by a bit, they still had more scoring shots than us. We cant keep that up all game. Its been happening all year.

yep. Yes we are giving up leads, but we are lucky to even have leads.

We get smashed most games but score very reliably when Nic gets out of the centre quickly.

Overall from an engine room perspective we are close to the worst side in the comp.

Still hoping we can get everyone back on the park this season and win a final or something. Bit funner to watch that way, but we are no chance for a flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nic was the main loss out of those 3. Gaff isnt very influential and could be argued is the reason our contested ball numbers got better at the back end of the season. As good as Sheppard is, we had a solid replacement in Schofield.

We have no replacements for the guys that are out now

I still cannot believe Schofield was not selected in the elimination final against Collingwood last year, especially after he did the job on their talls in the GF. To pick Ainsworth or Petrucceli before him was a mind boggling mistake - Schofield was champing at the bit. They both rolled over and Mihocek, Cox, and De Goey dominated and won them the game.
Surely that was pay off time for keeping Schofield on the list??? Drives me mad.

And don’t get me started re their resting of Nic Nat in round 16 of that year and playing Hickey instead. That decision ruined the whole season.

Too many players on the list who never bare fruit no matter how many resources are poured into them - at least Ah Chee has a crack and attacks the ball. And why pay top dollar for Kelly? He was there going cheap with Pickett and Shloith who is still available btw. They should pick him up so he can show these passengers how’s it done (and it’s not rocket science).

With the new theme song my loyalty is being tested.

I still cannot believe Schofield was not selected in the elimination final against Collingwood last year, especially after he did the job on their talls in the GF. To pick Ainsworth or Petrucceli before him was a mind boggling mistake - Schofield was champing at the bit. They both rolled over and Mihocek, Cox, and De Goey dominated and won them the game.
Surely that was pay off time for keeping Schofield on the list??? Drives me mad.

And don’t get me started re their resting of Nic Nat in round 16 of that year and playing Hickey instead. That decision ruined the whole season.

Too many players on the list who never bare fruit no matter how many resources are poured into them - at least Ah Chee has a crack and attacks the ball. And why pay top dollar for Kelly? He was there going cheap with Pickett and Shloith who is still available btw. They should pick him up so he can show these passengers how’s it done (and it’s not rocket science).

With the new theme song my loyalty is being tested.

They made the same mistake earlier that year dropping him last minute for a first gamer wafl player (rotham) against Richmond away, who turned out just fine but could’ve been done another game.

Depending on how much you value the AFL Ratings system this may or may not be interesting.
Naitanui is now the 2nd ranked player out of all AFL players this year, only behind Bontempelli and is rated at over 30% better than the next player for West Coast, Oscar Allen.
E2oUozAUUAI0sAR

With all our midfield woes how is it that Trew has not been tried for 2-3 games? We have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Sometimes players just fit in and work it out quick, sometimes they don't.
Our midfielders must surely feel like they are taking the piss continuing to get games when they get beaten almost every week.

Depending on how much you value the AFL Ratings system this may or may not be interesting.
Naitanui is now the 2nd ranked player out of all AFL players this year, only behind Bontempelli and is rated at over 30% better than the next player for West Coast, Oscar Allen.
E2oUozAUUAI0sAR

Who does these ratings? How are they calculated? and how much alcohol is involved in doing it?

How much would be required to make it a valid ranking system?

Either a lot less or a lot more. Petch is ranking in our top 4 and ahead of Darling. Petch would be running between 18-25th in our Best and Fairest at this point.
I reckon Kelly would be winning it up to this point and JD would be second. NN would be top 5.

I am genuinly interested in how they do it though, do you really think NN is performing as the 2nd best player in the comp? Nothing against Nic by the way but if someone asked me on the street today to name the best 10 players in the AFL in 2021 I don't think Nic would get a mention by me.
Do you get points for winning the hitout or only for effective hitouts? Vastly different things. If the opposition keep getting the ball then the hitout is not that good yes?

Positive - The Geelong loss and St kilda loss don't look so bad now.

Neg - Yes they do, this was just worse.

As soon as AMT goal'd I was starting to shake my head. The when Ryan got pinged for holding his ground so instead of having a shot at goal Bombers got a free, 50 - GOALLLLLLLL!!!!
Game was over.

Kelly and OAllen going down was significant. Not only did we lose Oallen, in a way we lost Gov again as Allen is about the only player we have that can be good cover for him. Kelly going down just put that extra pressure on an underdone Yeo to go even harder than he was probably meant to.

Last edited:
In 2006 in the premiership year, we were considered as one of the best running sides but also one of the fittest sides.

in 2021 we are not a fit side at all and that is why we are considered a team that is easy for a late kill.

Thats a pretty grim change when i thought our side has the same fitness level of all other teams in the comp

Remove this Banner Ad

Back