Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Essendon Rd 11 - Season Over Edition

Grahame

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Was responding to another who suggested we should have cut him. Nah he is 25 and one of the most talented people on our list. All the things we suck at, one touch pick ups, evasion , aggressive ball movement, tackling and magnificent vision/ execution by foot. Smoking dope is nothing. Hide/ignore it like every other club and we will get 5-8 years of elite.

I hope you are right, I really really do. Agree, smoking dope is nothing (but still illegal) ... however, substituting urine samples and 'smuggling' dope shows some worryingly poor decision making skills.

My point is as far as this season goes (should we miraculously contend at the pointy end) is there are an awful lot of ifs before we might get some of his old skills again. And as for next season ... his latest Twitter rant (when already hanging by the thinnest of thread) makes me really nervous. And then off-season going back to Tiwi ...

I don't think we can just say with any surety that come R23 the old Willie will be back.

But there is nothing more than I'd like to see him put in several seasons of pre-suspension form.

wc_eagles_since86

Team Captain
Apr 25, 2019
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Bruins, Liverpool
I hope you are right, I really really do. Agree, smoking dope is nothing (but still illegal) ... however, substituting urine samples and 'smuggling' dope shows some worryingly poor decision making skills.

My point is as far as this season goes (should we miraculously contend at the pointy end) is there are an awful lot of ifs before we might get some of his old skills again. And as for next season ... his latest Twitter rant (when already hanging by the thinnest of thread) makes me really nervous. And then off-season going back to Tiwi ...

I don't think we can just say with any surety that come R23 the old Willie will be back.

But there is nothing more than I'd like to see him put in several seasons of pre-suspension form.

100%.

Cue the "tainted premiership" headlines all over again because weed is a performance enhancer don't you know? That's all we'll hear when he gets the boots on again.

"How do you feel now that Willie is playing again given that he's the devil, a drug dealer, the worst player to have ever lived Simmo?"
F4kn press are the absolute bottom feeders of media: lower than a 60 year old camerman's nuttsack.

Grahame

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
100%.

Cue the "tainted premiership" headlines all over again because weed is a performance enhancer don't you know? That's all we'll hear when he gets the boots on again.

"How do you feel now that Willie is playing again given that he's the devil, a drug dealer, the worst player to have ever lived Simmo?"
F4kn press are the absolute bottom feeders of media: lower than a 60 year old camerman's nuttsack.

Funny(?) isn't it? The powers that be take a possibly ridiculous stance on illicit 'drugs' and yet freely allow the advertising of alcohol ... mmmm ... on second thoughts maybe alcohol is different 'cos it causes absolutely no harm in society. (Neither does gambling.)

Also I know noone on this board knows anything about cannabis ;) so I'm just guessing that trying to play stoned would hardly be 'performance enhancing'. Really funny but not an advantage.

And yet the footy clubs are allowed to jab players so they can continue to perform ... because without the jab their performance would deterioriate. So while the jab is maybe(?) not technically 'performance enhancing' is stops a performance being 'dis-enhanced'.

Ahhh, good ol' fashioned hypocrisy.

6285sutto

Debutant
May 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
The worst thing of all is the lack of confidence;the ability to take risks;
Defenders mark in the middle of the ground at CHB and immediately stop,prop,look around [sometimes with nobody within cooee] and then....wait for it..turn sideways and chip to the boundary.Now i realise we need to retain possession but sometimes you need to charge forward and open up the play.
Players [ yes you J.Reddan] continually take the ball and turn defensively,often handballing to a stationary teammate. So rarely do we sell a dummy and explode forward.Our whole defence has become jitterty and nervous.Steering little kicks instead of kicking through the ball.Even Hurn did it on the weekend.Nelson and Rotham both do it.A 30m pass becomes a s.l..owwww 24m pass and lands in front of the intended target immediately putting them under pressure.
Gaff,Reddan and Sheed? Somethings gotta give there.Too slow.They even start behind their opponent at some centre bounces.If ya cant outrun your opponent the maybe we need to out strategise them.Work closer,work together.
It looks like everyones playing for themselves.When we are winning its wooha but when we start losing nobody rolls up the sleeves and gets dirty.Wheres the pride?? Wheres the love??

I totally agree to this. Very slow and low risk football. No tackles, no pack running, no quick one twos.

Back