Review Positives and Negatives vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep that’s pretty much spot on.

This year probably more so than in previous years, given we are so young up forward. It is a great motivator to our young forwards (who are in the side to pressure & harass) when they see the leaders do the extra work off the ball.

JK was the main target last night, but he doesn’t get 8 shots at goal without all the work JD does to block, guard space, unrewarded running.

He’s played much worse than last night and ended up with 3-4 goals. Tonight they just went other ways. But he’s such a vital part of our forward line, even with the stats say he was quiet.
I know what your saying but when JD starts clunking big contested marks in his own right our forwardline takes on another dimension. Agree though he's still playing an important role just not quite at his best.

I'd suggest if an opposition team was to nullify Hurn we'd also struggle to win games.

For starters - he's almost impossible to nullify as he'll get 6-10 kicks from kick ins.

Secondly - he used to be tagged and it definitely hurt - now with Jetta's kicking and mcgovern's intercepting - hurn isn't on the radar.

And a tagger isn't going to stop him intercept marking.

Here's the thing. Last I looked, ambulances were part of the public health service so unless we want the general population to miss out on an emergency service because an AFL footballer feels a bit iffy, then he can catch a bloody taxi.

Plus he is not Victorian anyway, he is out of Claremont.

For starters - he's almost impossible to nullify as he'll get 6-10 kicks from kick ins.

Secondly - he used to be tagged and it definitely hurt - now with Jetta's kicking and mcgovern's intercepting - hurn isn't on the radar.

And a tagger isn't going to stop him intercept marking.

I did say opposition in general. This could involve a heavy tag, putting a man into the hole, particular zoning techniques from kick-ins etc. I do agree that with Jetta and McGovern they don't really tag Hurn any more - great for us, as it won us a flag.

I know what your saying but when JD starts clunking big contested marks in his own right our forwardline takes on another dimension. Agree though he's still playing an important role just not quite at his best.
It looks to me like OAllen is the new improved JD.He took a mark on the flank and immediately took two steps to the side of the man on the mark and fired a short pass to the leading JK.Such fast and decisive decision making.JD marking away from goals its like hes stopping for a photo opportunity.

Just on a lot of the Darling commentary.

His second half was a mare - no doubting that - but his first half was actually reasonable.

It's too easy to look at a stat sheet and say they were s**t. However Essendon had a +1 as we had committed one extra to the stoppage.

Many times Darling went up against 2 of ambrose/hurley/hooker and halved a contest. Doesn't get any stats for it - but it caused a stoppage which more often that not went our way.

If all darling does in a game is halve 2-1 then he is having a good game and delivering for our side.

It's not something Allen is able to do yet - and something Darling wasn't doing as much in the second half as his feet kept going out from under him

Darling kinda still has an impact on games without kicking goals IMO. It's the age-old "he takes a defender away from Kennedy" discussion. It's usually one of the two having a good night depending on who the opposition deem more of a threat on the week.
yep, for all the clunky things he does when he's having an off-night, he's still doing all the defensive and transition work, score assists, tackles etc...
And it is a bit like Yeo or Shuey, JK or JD, one gets attention, the other gets off the chain.
It's a real treat when they both fire together in the forward arc! (and spells misery for the opp.)
He'll come good...

Last edited:
Hutchings may indeed have his position questioned in the future but having him completely nullify a dangerous half back flanker cannot be underestimated. The modern game isn't just 'limit their star midfielder or gtfo' for taggers. Plenty of games (Eagles and otherwise) have been won by playing a defensive forward on an influential defender. If Hutchings can limit their impact while having a few score involvements himself that's a big win.

I'd suggest if an opposition team was to nullify Hurn we'd also struggle to win games.
Is Saad really that good though? I feel like he’s only really damaging when the rest of the team is performing well, which they certainly weren’t last night.

Jetta's in peak form like now IMO. Hopefully he goes on like this for a few more season's until Francis, Rotham and co develop their game

He's decided to use his run again and it's a delight to see

So many short 30m kicks to targets, only to follow up and get another handball and hit a target another 50m further on.

So damaging last night - especially in the first half

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So many short 30m kicks to targets, only to follow up and get another handball and hit a target another 50m further on.

Agreed. I don’t know if it’s a tactical move where Jetta can be aggressive because he knows he has more cover behind him, or it’s as simple as he has a new found willingness to do so, but the follow up work to turn his precision kicks into a handball receive and second kick is so damaging.

Or were the Bombers not performing well because Saad wasn't damaging?
I just don’t think he has that much bearing on the game but maybe I haven’t been watching enough of their games. He cut us up last year Ill accept that

I just don’t think he has that much bearing on the game but maybe I haven’t been watching enough of their games. He cut us up last year Ill accept that

I haven't seen much of them to have any insight for you, but I know we singled him out for a tag and the Bombers never got their fast rebounding game plan off the half back line going consistently. Then we won. I'm over simplifying it perhaps, but thems the facts.

We appear to have scouted the Bombers source of scoring and stopped it's supply.

He's been close to their most dangerous player all year. Averaged 18 disposals on the season, 19 in their last eight games. Hutch restricted him well.

I'll add one more positive:

Coming from a rugby background since I was a tadpole (blame Rhodesian parents for that), I reckon if anyone in the side needs tackling lessons, send them to Cameron. What a beast at tackling he is. No brokens, just a solid, all in hitting for a smaller fella. I too often see shocking tackling in this game from supreme athletes. Not so with Cameron.

Though be careful, the MRO are always waiting to swoop on anyone who tackles anyone and injures them, remember we want to have AFL turn into Sarcastaball.

Positives:
+ We didn’t come out flat off the bye like last year
+ Yeo is just a beast. Surely on track for AA this year. Agree fully with Nicky Dal, best two way mid in the game.
+ Sheeda, big game from this lad. No ones pockets are safe around him. Still needs to work on his tackling though. Saw Redman run straight at him and put him on his ass.
+ JK, beat Hurley all night. Could have been a big night for him if not for those missed shots.
+ 36 Shots on goal, need to keep that up.
+ Cameron debut. Him along with Cripps, Ryan, Rioli, Petrucelle and Venners is a scary proposition for oppo defenders. They all have a mix of pace, hardness, pressure, skill and flair.
+ Hutch shutting down Saad
+ Sheppard, I feel like say this in every +/- thread I post in. The lads need to get him a medal
+ we get to add Naitanui, Barrass and Rioli to this 22

Negatives:
- Gov being offered a one match suspension. Absolute BS.
- 14.22 is no good. Luckily it’s something can be fixed.
- We might not get to see a forward line of Kennedy, Darling, Cripps, Ryan, Rioli, Petch and Cameron next week.
- commentators being absolute s**t campaigners all game. Just talking amongst themselves and cracking poor jokes rather than doing their job. And just picking one thing and running with it all game.

Agreed. I don’t know if it’s a tactical move where Jetta can be aggressive because he knows he has more cover behind him, or it’s as simple as he has a new found willingness to do so, but the follow up work to turn his precision kicks into a handball receive and second kick is so damaging.
Yeah the give and get and give makes Jetta a much more dangerous player. Takes the ball from the back fifty to half forward in three possessions. Loved to see it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back