Review Positives and Negatives vs Fremantle - Rd 4, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Amen to this!

All the idiot Freo supporters currently drinking the kool aid Ross is serving up.

That dude is a master manipulator. Will get a contract extension shortly.

They've actually got a pretty good name for the Lyon Kool Aid drinkers on their board; they call it the Church of Lyontology (for those enlightened enough to not buy into his bullshit.

But you're spot on, he's more worried Bout covering his own arse with honourable losses than he is developing his list - when it comes to Derbies anyway as he knows the media blowtorch is applied threefold.

Negative - the two sh*tstain eagle supporters next to me - who thought getting annhilated, swearing every third word and spilling beer on half the crowd around them

Positive: the calm shown by the docker supporter in front who wore three spills of beer down his back

I had a w***er of an Eagles “supporter” in the row behind me last week at MCG. Weird feeling when Pies fans are better behaved than our own...

They've actually got a pretty good name for the Lyon Kool Aid drinkers on their board; they call it the Church of Lyontology (for those enlightened enough to not buy into his bullshit.

But you're spot on, he's more worried Bout covering his own arse with honourable losses than he is developing his list - when it comes to Derbies anyway as he knows the media blowtorch is applied threefold.

Freo board has been outstanding this year.

Round 1 - we thrashed North! High scoring! Sucked in Ross haters! And we have Hogan to come back!
Round 2 - Jeez that was frustrating, but we should have had a 50 in the last minute. Bad loss but still 1-1, and after last week’s high scoring we can clearly still do it.
Round 3 - Poor game but the boys did a lot to gut it out with no Fyfe. Gold Coast loss looks better because they’ve beaten the Dogs. We’re third, it’s fine.
Round 4 - We nearly beat the reigning premiers and would have done so with more accurate kicking. Anyway, we still have the highest score and best winning margin from any game this season.

Kool Aid is next level, and they’ll spin anything to make their club look better. Anyone who suggested scragging for 80 minutes isn’t going to deliver success gets shouted down. Bless.

Bit annoyed at those passive aggressive comments to supporters by the eagles media regarding Masten.

Concerning that is the standard they consider outstanding. It is a cop out.
Nothing passive about it - pretty explicit & direct about calling it out, I reckon. Couldn't get much more direct about it.

The real cop out is that people think they know better than a coaching panel that just won a premiership. Maybe, just maybe, some people don't actually understand what the standards of a cohesive game plan actually are.

(See what I did there? That's what passive aggressive looks like!)

Had Masto on my negatives - but you have made some very good points I have gotta say
My point is and always has been to rate him within the boundaries of what he's trying to accomplish for us, not as some game saving midfielder. Then it gets annoying when you have people who see red at every little mistake he makes to the point it burns in their memory so they attribute the aftermath to his turnover, despite there being play in between or leading up to it that's also part of the cause and effect. The way I saw the game Gaff was a bigger disappointment but that's because I hold him in such high regard as a footballer, he's an All Australian level midfielder. Watching the replay though I could see how much Gaff put in defensively which softened the blow of his poor disposals slightly.

Masten could receive a poor handball and then get done holding the ball and it would be his fault. Or he could give off a poor handball to someone who gets done holding the ball and it would be his fault. That is the frustrating thing about it.

At the start of the season I was keen to se what Brander could offer as a taller wingman but the team is way too tall for that (as we saw against Brisbane).
Petruccelle and Venables are nowhere near the requirement fitness wise, but both have more talent as athletes in other departments.
Ainsworth is a worse kick of the ball but would be much stronger overhead, is apparently very professional so could play a sacrificial role, no idea about his fitness levels.
Ah Chee again not presenting a case.
Smith not showing much in the WAFL but could easily match his running power.
Nelson a chance if he improves in the WAFL maybe. Would be more physical, likes to run but isn't quick or particularly good by foot.
Watson is very exciting when he's on. I wouldn't be against him playing defence and seeing what Cole could do on a wing, but that's basically fixing something that aint broke in regards to our backline which is the perfect balance of players right now (with Jetta in the team), and I would hate to play around for no reason.
Jetta and Schoey are too old to be able to cover that sort of ground now, but both would have been capable in different circumstances.

When Rioli comes back, perhaps it would fall to Cripps to push to a wing? Or for him and Rioli to rotate up the ground? Cripps has the tank for repeat sprint efforts as we all know. Hutchings is another fit guy but he is sort of needed for other roles.

Let us never speak of the shortcut again.

+ We’ve won eight straight derbies, ******* lol.
+ Josh Rotham is a star
+ Shannon Hurn, pretty good
+ Shep, TB. God bless our backline.
+ Petch is a game winning athlete. Faded after a hot start, but will win us more than one game
+ Held Freo’s budding forwardline to seven goals
+ Freo can never complain about West Coast umpiring bias again

- Most of the rest of that game. Got dragged down to their scrappy, scragging, more fighting than football approach.
- Kennedy, Darling, Allen all shockingly rusty
- Sheed’s worst game for the year
- Ross Lyon is a blight on AFL and should be banned from coaching for life. Good luck winning a flag just trying to muddy the waters and not lose by a lot.
- We let the human ketamine trip kick his first goal in purple. Ho, ho,ho mate, enjoy it.

Burn the tapes, chalk up the eighth straight win and let’s move on to an actual football game next week.
Controversial call but, I actually prefer Sheed playing Gaff's role.

He is better inside, a better mark and a much better kick.

Nothing passive about it - pretty explicit & direct about calling it out, I reckon. Couldn't get much more direct about it.

The real cop out is that people think they know better than a coaching panel that just won a premiership. Maybe, just maybe, some people don't actually understand what the standards of a cohesive game plan actually are.

(See what I did there? That's what passive aggressive looks like!)
So you believe Masten's performance was outstanding?

An outstanding performance because he runs far and creates space for others?

So you believe Masten's performance was outstanding?

An outstanding performance because he runs far and creates space for others?
I believe that those internal to the club have a better idea of individual player KPIs than most on here. We hear it regularly from coaches and team mates alike that Masten is doing his job.

Don't understand his role personally (don't get to see live often, nor am I clever enough to grasp team tactics abstractly in the way that peeps like Dylan82 do either), but feel pretty justified appealing to those at the club in the know on this one. No, this doesn't mean the club always gets it right, but they are clearly getting rewarded by the current game plan, which has runs on the board: recent flag wins tend to do that re gameplans...

What reason would folk at our club have for publicly saying that Masten is doing his job well, if he in fact wasn't?

You must have some alternative theory for why they're all saying this, if you're concerned. Interested to hear your alternate explanation of why they keep talking up the job he's doing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe that those internal to the club have a better idea of individual player KPIs than most on here. We hear it regularly from coaches and team mates alike that Masten is doing his job.

Don't understand his role personally (don't get to see live often, nor am I clever enough to grasp team tactics abstractly in the way that peeps like Dylan82 do either), but feel pretty justified appealing to those at the club in the know on this one. No, this doesn't mean the club always gets it right, but they are clearly getting rewarded by the current game plan, which has runs on the board: recent flag wins tend to do that re gameplans...

What reason would folk at our club have for publicly saying that Masten is doing his job well, if he in fact wasn't?

You must have some alternative theory for why they're all saying this, if you're concerned. Interested to hear your alternate explanation of why they keep talking up the job he's doing.
I don't disagree that he plays his role but I draw the line at celebrating his performance as outstanding.

The club preaches flexibility but Masten is the least flexible player on our list.

The only way the internal opinion will be validated will be through B&F voting.

I don't disagree that he plays his role but I draw the line at celebrating his performance as outstanding.

The club preaches flexibility but Masten is the least flexible player on our list.

The only way the internal opinion will be validated will be through B&F voting.
Running patterns

Endurance

Those are his strengths and according to the Mastenbators out there it should be more then enough for him to remain in the team.

It shouldn't be.

What a horrible game. Sometimes you have a bad day, get dragged down to the opposition's level or whatever.

I think that it's best that we take the 4 points and just move on. At the end of the season when the games won are added up to determine our spot on the ladder these 4 points will be just as valuable as every other 4 points that we get.

What a horrible game. Sometimes you have a bad day, get dragged down to the opposition's level or whatever.

I think that it's best that we take the 4 points and just move on. At the end of the season when the games won are added up to determine our spot on the ladder these 4 points will be just as valuable as every other 4 points that we get.

Same as the Carlton game last year.

Theres positives??..True!we won.We won ugly.
on the negative theres a worrying trend im seeing.Five goal first qtr against Brissy and got killed.Killed GWS on the scoreboard but i thought we were lucky to get away with it.They smashed us down the middle but couldnt buy a straight path to goal.Five goals early against the Dorkers and then hang on.Not good.Port coming with Lycett leading the charge.
Our forward line was awful.Nobody working the short lead.Dorkers have good aerialists in Hambling,Pierce and Ryan so what do we do? All the forwards clump together and the mids bomb it long and high.It probably looks great when a mid bursts out of the middle [ Yes you Vardy ] balances up and bombs long .Why not lower the eyes and look short.Ryan is so fast;why not kick to space and let him run at it.
We use Gaff so much it becomes an obsession.Everyone that marks the ball just turns and handballs to Gaff.Its lazy football!!It works at times but other times it makes us go backwards.
The one reassuring thing so far this season is that we won the biggest game so far.Thats what the great teams do.Win ugly ;but win.
If we are to be the new Hawthorn then our next mission is to win at Geelong.I think we will lose games to s**t sides this year but will win most of the BIG games.Its very hard to get up week in week out especially against scrubbers [ i.e. Dockers ] but we must get up for the biggies.Thats what the great teams do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back