Review Positives and Negatives vs Fremantle - Rd 4, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

And so he should, too. He deserves one.
No rucks. No Fyfe. Lose Hamling early in the game. Yet they are only some inaccurate kicking away from knocking off the raging premiership favourites on their own home ground in front of 58k rabid, violence-condoning hoodlums.
I reckon that performance alone is worth an extra couple of years added to his current contract.

:praying:

#standbyross

The thing is we beat Freo at home and that's all we had to do. Could have been by more but once we go a break Lyon went uber defensive. This along with the slippery conditions and their defence being allowed to scrag our key forwards all bloody day (and the AFL is worried about low scoring games ha!) made it a game to forget. I don't think we were ever in danger of losing though and we just sort of went through the motions. Its like the old saying don't argue with idiots because they will take you down to their level and beat you with experience.

I generally never pay attention to fixturing but for the love of god its hard not to think there's been a conspiracy over these early rounds. Away to Brisbane for the second worst road trip in football. Home to a top four team. Away to a top four team then a "home" game against Fremantle coming off a 6 day break? To be 1-3 at this stage of the season is excellent.

Last edited:
The thing is we beat Freo at home and that's all we had to do. Could have been by more but once we go a break Lyon went uber defensive which was compounded by the slippery conditions and their defence being allowed to scrag our key forwards all bloody day (and the AFL is worried about low scoring games ha!). I don't think we were ever in danger of losing and we just sort of went through the motions. Its like the old saying don't argue with idiots because they will take you down to their level and beat you with experience.

I generally never pay attention to fixturing but for the love of god its hard not to think there's been a conspiracy over these early rounds. Away to Brisbane for the second worst road trip in football. Home to a top four team. Away to a top four team then a "home" game against Fremantle coming off a 6 day break? To be 1-3 at this stage of the season is excellent.
The ‘conspiracy’ is that we won the flag so naturally get a harder draw. Hasn’t been that hard though.

Folk at our club said that Pridda was doing his job, even offered him a juicy new contract, then sacked him.
You might've missed this bit of the post you quoted?
No, this doesn't mean the club always gets it right, but they are clearly getting rewarded by the current game plan, which has runs on the board: recent flag wins tend to do that re gameplans...
In addition, Priddis' form fell off a cliff in his last season with us, and I think the club's public comments - though respectful - reflected this. He really did just stop winning the ball like he used to, and his body wasn't keeping up. This is what made the contract extension so baffling. But our current premiership-winning gameplan was born in response to this correction. It didn't just appear out of a vacuum. It was a careful assessment of the strengths of our list, and what to do with gameplan going forward.

Or maybe you're trying to say that the Priddis example is more runs on the board for the current coaching crew, in which case play on :p

Derbies are always going to be a tough game, regardless of form.

Fremantle cane with a decided game plan to push numbers back (surprise surprise) but we always seemed to have the gear to score when needed. Fremantle can rue those missed chances, but how many games can you win if you kick 1.9 in a half? Not many.

Good game from Rotham, shame he will likely be dropped again as he’s going to be a good player. But Jetta is best 22 if fit.

Boy I can’t wait until we get Rioli back. Even if it isn’t preseason form, I think we have really missed his spark.

Bank the win, review what freo did to limit us, and move on. Can’t underestimate how much these early wins matter, even if it’s just forming a habit of winning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The biggest +

We won playing our worst ever footy at Optus. Yes the Essendon game was similar but their players have some skills and it wasn't a shutout maul like we saw.

What heartened me is that the players realised their game plan wasn't working in the 2nd half, and we adapted to contest the footy and lock down Freo's run over the top.

Any side in footy, amateurs or AFL, will have weeks where it becomes a slog and 'style' goes completely out the window. Despite such frustration, none of our players lost the plot; we're extremely mature. Just put our heads down and got the win (never mind shutting up shop with 2 minutes left and Freo waltzing it inside 50).

Darling looks more off to me so wooden in his movements and almost weak efforts
Agree, said this b4 -he always has that wooden clunky robocop way of moving, just this body type I guess, unlike JK who even though older and banged up, still has more flexibility...JD like the condom full of walnuts! Does do some odd (dumb?) things sometimes, wonder about his smarts?
But hey, he gets the job done most days, defensively, run, and snags a couple!

+ve

Tom "Handball? * off" Barrass long high left foot kick around the corner x 16.

Petruccelle's wheels making Nathan Wilson look like Nathan Jawai

The efficiency of our forward line. 5.1 to 0.5 at QT, Freo butchered the ball going inside 50, butchered shots for goal and play Hogan closer to the defensive goal square than the attacking one. We get a few entries and turn them into goals. We are currently 3 inside 50s off being the lowest in the comp after 4 rounds yet equal 6th for goals scored.

Agree, said this b4 -he always has that wooden clunky robocop way of moving, just this body type I guess, unlike JK who even though older and banged up, still has more flexibility...JD like the condom full of walnuts! Does do some odd (dumb?) things sometimes, wonder about his smarts?
But hey, he gets the job done most days, defensively, run, and snags a couple!
Needs to return to his vice like marking grip from last year. Sitting under the flight isn’t darlings stregnth

I’ve seen this referred too a few times but tbh I can’t even remember that game ..

Round 5, 2018
  • No Jetta in the side, Carlton had no rucks, added a host of agile smalls and played tactically with an extra four players behind the ball (+2 off the stoppage and +2 in defence).
  • P.Cripps dominated the inside ball and Carlton ended up winning the overall contested possession count.
  • In foggy, greasy conditions the team controlled the game but was poor in disposal and exposed for being too tall - our bottom three forwards and ruck only had 31 disposals between the four of them.
  • With the forward line dysfunctional, they were unable to put Carlton away.
  • The team tired with Carlton winning the last quarter 4 goals to 1, with the eventual margin being just 10 points.

Round 4, 2019
  • No Jetta in the side, Fremantle had no rucks, added a host of agile smalls and played tactically with extras pushing behind the ball.
  • Mundy dominated the inside ball and Fremantle ended up winning the overall contested possession count.
  • In dewy, greasy conditions the team controlled the game but was poor in disposal and exposed for being too tall - our bottom three forwards and ruck only had 32 disposals between the four of them.
  • With the forward line dysfunctional, they were unable to put Fremantle away.
  • The team tired with Fremantle scoring 3 of the last 4 goals, with the eventual margin being just 13 points.

Hence the comparisons.

Cerra started making sure he stayed defensive side of him at every attacking contest, plus Petruccelle was cooked about halfway through the second quarter.
Thats what he needs to work on. Unfortunatly a lot of these players blessed with speed don't have a tank to match their speed.

The only player i can think off that is blessed with speed and endurance is Tom Scully.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back