Review Positives and Negatives vs Fremantle - Rd 4, 2019

Aug 14, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardiff City
Darling looks more off to me so wooden in his movements and almost weak efforts

I'm starting to think that Darling and Allen in the same forward line are not compatible with each other.

Darling became so effective last year for two reasons:
  1. We started moving the ball more efficiently, which gave him confidence to lead strongly without needing to double-back etc.
  2. Lecras [and secondarily Waterman] conducted many sacrificial leads up the wing, which not only removed a defender from the marking contest, but provided a runway of space for him to lead into.
Allen is staying a lot more at home than those two did last year; and as a consequence we are getting 2017 Darling, which is far from ideal.

avishka5

150 game legend.
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Zombie Lover
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm starting to think that Darling and Allen in the same forward line are not compatible with each other.

Darling became so effective last year for two reasons:
  1. We started moving the ball more efficiently, which gave him confidence to lead strongly without needing to double-back etc.
  2. Lecras [and secondarily Waterman] conducted many sacrificial leads up the wing, which not only removed a defender from the marking contest, but provided a runway of space for him to lead into.
Allen is staying a lot more at home than those two did last year; and as a consequence we are getting 2017 Darling, which is far from ideal.
yeah why can't we use O.Allen in the same role as Waterman. He's tank is decent and is also very mobile for his size.

O.Allen has been immense but he needs to build on his output more or he's gonna be on the outer with Waterman dominating the two's. I actually would also love to see Matty Allen come into the side to play that HFF role. Great tank, hands but more importantly has a deadly left footy.

Aug 14, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardiff City
Thats what he needs to work on. Unfortunatly a lot of these players blessed with speed don't have a tank to match their speed.

The only player i can think off that is blessed with speed and endurance is Tom Scully.

I was one of those guys - just had terrible disposal though :disappointed:

Completely agree with Petruccelle, at the moment he's pretty one-directional with his running patterns. No doubt he part of his training will be to hook around the back of the stoppage and provide a running option there if the straight outlet is guarded.

Aug 14, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardiff City
yeah why can't we use O.Allen in the same role as Waterman. He's tank is decent and is also very mobile for his size.

O.Allen has been immense but he needs to build on his output more or he's gonna be on the outer with Waterman dominating the two's. I actually would also love to see Matty Allen come into the side to play that HFF role. Great tank, hands but more importantly has a deadly left footy.

Agree, I think it would be very interesting to see M.Allen given a go in that role, given his size and aerobic capacity.

Don't see the club taking such a risk against Port or Geelong however. Gold Coast though, I reckon he may get a chance with players being rested.

avishka5

150 game legend.
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
I've was a few beers deep but was Rotham on Hogan a couple times? I know that he took McCarthy a few times but that would be a huge vote in confidence from Simmo to chuck him on a gun tall.

avishka5

150 game legend.
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
Agree, I think it would be very interesting to see M.Allen given a go in that role, given his size and aerobic capacity.

Don't see the club taking such a risk against Port or Geelong however. Gold Coast though, I reckon he may get a chance with players being rested.
We seem to trust our kids a bit. Rotham made his debut against the Pies at the G.

The conditions might not suit him this week but if he's up to it against the cats, he should be backed in.

TOA.

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I've was a few beers deep but was Rotham on Hogan a couple times? I know that he took McCarthy a few times but that would be a huge vote in confidence from Simmo to chuck him on a gun tall.

Yep, was right in front of me. Hogan really isnt very big. I always thought he was bigger when he was at Melb but he's really only flanker size, wouldnt be much bigger than Yeo.

Yep, was right in front of me. Hogan really isnt very big. I always thought he was bigger when he was at Melb but he's really only flanker size, wouldnt be much bigger than Yeo.
195cm for Hogan, 190 for Yeo, 192 for Rotham.

avishka5

150 game legend.
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
Listed as 99kg's on the Dorks site. Still a big boy and 10kegs heavier than Yeo.

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I always imagined Hogan as being similar to Darling in that he's slightly undersized but quite strong.

As for Allen, his output has never been high but his strength is that he has 4 or 5 moments in a game that are huge and he makes them pay. Contested marks, good set shots, tackles. So the downside is that if he drops a few marks or misses a set shot or two he has less buffer stats to offset him against having a bad game. Similar to JK when out of form but at a lower ceiling, he can really impact with limited looks.

I'm sure he could change his role up as the coaches see fit, if he's parking himself mostly forward it would be at the coaches request, especially with JK/Darling being senior players they'd let him know where to be. I wonder if the coaches will change him out with Brander/Waterman purely because of their age as the season goes on? Or whether they prefer to have Rioli as the 7th forward and that way the resting ruckman isn't just a lumbering surplus on the field (see Hickey barely playing TOG) but aren't capable of doing it right now given Venables poor form and Rioli's injury?

Oct 8, 2007
WESTERN AUSTRALIA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
FLO-RIDA , PITBULL ,SEAN PAUL
Round 5, 2018
  • No Jetta in the side, Carlton had no rucks, added a host of agile smalls and played tactically with an extra four players behind the ball (+2 off the stoppage and +2 in defence).
  • P.Cripps dominated the inside ball and Carlton ended up winning the overall contested possession count.
  • In foggy, greasy conditions the team controlled the game but was poor in disposal and exposed for being too tall - our bottom three forwards and ruck only had 31 disposals between the four of them.
  • With the forward line dysfunctional, they were unable to put Carlton away.
  • The team tired with Carlton winning the last quarter 4 goals to 1, with the eventual margin being just 10 points.

Round 4, 2019
  • No Jetta in the side, Fremantle had no rucks, added a host of agile smalls and played tactically with extras pushing behind the ball.
  • Mundy dominated the inside ball and Fremantle ended up winning the overall contested possession count.
  • In dewy, greasy conditions the team controlled the game but was poor in disposal and exposed for being too tall - our bottom three forwards and ruck only had 32 disposals between the four of them.
  • With the forward line dysfunctional, they were unable to put Fremantle away.
  • The team tired with Fremantle scoring 3 of the last 4 goals, with the eventual margin being just 13 points.

Hence the comparisons.

I made a observation in the 2nd or 3rd quarter of game day thread v Freo coincidentally that WCE we’re missing Jetta ..

In hindsight that was a great call ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oct 8, 2007
WESTERN AUSTRALIA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
FLO-RIDA , PITBULL ,SEAN PAUL
We seem to trust our kids a bit. Rotham made his debut against the Pies at the G.

The conditions might not suit him this week but if he's up to it against the cats, he should be backed in.

Just on trusting kids Port are playing their 3 draftees from last year Rozee ,Butters and Dursma ..Richmond played pick 43 Jack Ross from last years draft and the later rookie pick Stack ..

My point is Wce don’t really trust the kids as much as you think as Rotham has been waiting 3 years now to reach this stage ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Negative

Pavs wife actually given an article / air time about cheering Gaff.

She must be a bitter ...bitter Freo supporter.

Gaff was booed the week before so his supporters cheer him at home. The guy has been contrite, humble and honest in his apologies and just wants to play football.

But nuff nuffs like her want to interpret things in the most negative way possible.

To err is human to forgive is divine.

Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Just on trusting kids Port are playing their 3 draftees from last year Rozee ,Butters and Dursma ..Richmond played pick 43 Jack Ross from last years draft and the later rookie pick Stack ..

My point is Wce don’t really trust the kids as much as you think as Rotham has been waiting 3 years now to reach this stage ..

Last year we debuted picks 13, 21, 26, 32, 38 from the previous years draft. We also gave pick 52 from the 2016 draft a run.

Port replaced some average players with 3 players picked in the first round (picks 5, 12 & 18). All 3 of those kids can play!

Stack has the talent, only went in the later rookie because of perceived behavioral issues. On some phantoms and experts draft boards he was the 1st or 2nd ranked West Aussie.

You play youth when there's a role for them to fill and they've shown they can do it.
Youth for the sake of youth and you end up with Carlton or Melbourne circa 2008-2017.

Dec 19, 2007
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
soccer rugby union and le
At the time of the incident Pav was on telly and he said "i think Gaff meant to hit him' that basically it was no accident.Him and his missus are on the same page.Just head on down to freo luvvy and have a losers group hug!!

flyinghi64

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2006
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
Darling is about to go Nuts.
About to get dropped from my DT like I did to Heeney 2 weeks ago and look at his form now.

Back