Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Negative

Now have to beat Geelong in Geelong or we're worse than the drug-suspended Essendon team.
But they wrapped up 1st spot. Do they rest? i suppose the bye has ****ed us here, if they rested here and got the bye thats like 1 game in 5 weeks :(

Imagine if he could play his 60% actually in shape?
I’m checking out of the Nic Nat chat here I reckon. If we’re knocking how the opposition rucks get 40% without having to deal with Nic, I’ll entertain that argument. If we’re knocking Nic’s impact in the minutes he does play we’ve jumped the shark.

Yes, he didn’t look mobile tonight on the shittest deck we’ve played all season, and yet he still had plenty of impact (including multiple open field HTB tackles which shouldn’t be possible for a fat sack of crap who can’t move, including link up marks, including leading us in clearances yet again, including plenty of silver service out of the middle).

I am mystified that people can watch everything we’ve served up over this year, and even into previous years, and come away with Nic Nat is letting us down as a conclusion.

Tapping out.

I’m checking out of the Nic Nat chat here I reckon. If we’re knocking how the opposition rucks get 40% without having to deal with Nic, I’ll entertain that argument. If we’re knocking Nic’s impact in the minutes he does play we’ve jumped the shark.

Yes, he didn’t look mobile tonight on the shittest deck we’ve played all season, and yet he still had plenty of impact (including multiple open field HTB tackles which shouldn’t be possible for a fat sack of crap who can’t move, including link up marks, including leading us in clearances yet again, including plenty of silver service out of the middle).

I am mystified that people can watch everything we’ve served up over this year, and even into previous years, and come away with Nic Nat is letting us down as a conclusion.

Tapping out.

Agree to disagree then, you've clearly got a horn for the man even when he's down, fair enough.

He's clearly not going as well as what he could be, hopefully next season that's addressed. (As with the entire squad).

Regarding Nic, remember this:

Our club spruiked, hell, they all nigh gloated, that Nic Nat had a full an uninterrupted pre season this year

Yet he looks heavier then ever, and he can hardly jump

Coming off 2 knee reconstructions, at the back end of career, whilst simultaneously being fatter then ever will do that to a man

But rather then ask him the hard questions and take him to task, everyone dances around the obvious and pretends Nic is in shape

Natanui is a legend, no doubt. But at this point in career the club needs to stop p*ssing in his pocket and hammer him on the bleeding obvious: at present, he is too heavy

Get him lighter, get him fitter, and he may just extend his career

But keep going as we are going and pretending that he is fit and everything is all good when it clearly isn't, and nobody wins

I don’t reckon his knees will allow him to put in the work.

Nice of you to allow Barrass to play up front for us this week…our players had no trouble kicking to his leads….

Watching him tonight was sad. In previous years he would've run down <insert Flogmantle player> and driven him into the turf, or the prospect of Naitanui behind him would've spooked said Flogmantle player into a rushed disposal. Instead he just ran away like Nic wasn't there.
So a couple of rebuttals on this perspective.
Firstly, the Fremantle player was Switkowski. I certainly wouldn't consider his pace pedestrian. Lach72 might be able to elaborate on this point.
Secondly, Naitanui had just been competing in a marking contest.
Naitanui - picture 1.jpg
Then he had to turn around and start chasing Switkowski who elected to take advantage (always leaving the opposition at least slightly flat footed).
Naitanui - picture 2.jpg
I think it's fair to say there's 7-9 metres between the players at this point.
Switkowski collected the ball and ran all the way from this position to the 50m arc when he kicked.
Naitanui - picture 3.jpg
At which point Naitanui was lunging from him from about 1 metre away.

So Naitanui had made up a fair amount of ground in this time and not given up on the chase.
Now I've no doubt that Naitanui would've run him down when he was 25 and prior to his knee issues but I don't think it was as bad as you're suggesting.
I certainly wouldn't expect Sean Darcy to be able to make such ground on Liam Ryan or Jamie Cripps were the reverse situation to have occurred.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Firstly, the Fremantle player was Switkowski. I certainly wouldn't consider his pace pedestrian. Lach72 might be able to elaborate on this point.
View attachment 1476218
Then he had to turn around and start chasing Switkowski who elected to take advantage (always leaving the opposition at least slightly flat footed).
View attachment 1476220
Switkowski collected the ball and ran all the way from this position to the 50m arc when he kicked.
View attachment 1476224

So Naitanui had made up a fair amount of ground in this time and not given up on the chase.
Now I've no doubt that Naitanui would've run him down when he was 25 and prior to his knee issues but I don't think it was as bad as you're suggesting.
I certainly wouldn't expect Sean Darcy to be able to make such ground on Liam Ryan or Jamie Cripps were the reverse situation to have occurred.

hes quickish but more agile with an elite side step…

thought Nic chased hard there…it was more the other stuff.

NN has had a very interrupted season and looked a shadow of himself today. He looked injured, slow and overweight. But with a guy his size, interrupted seasons arent going to make it easy to stay in peak condition and whilst he could be fitter, like the rest of the team, he looked injury affected today.

It was only last year he was in AA form so I hope he can have a good pre-season and get back into top form. But I worry at his age, with his injury history and the constant flying/ our players dropping off a cliff post 30 that it may not happen. Losing weight would no doubt help but its not like he was considerably smaller in 2020 or 2021. Our ruck stocks are a mess though and we need to address it this off season even if its a stop gap but they have to be able to compete.

The bigger issue for me though is despite our effort (which was great) we dont have the class (too many B and C grade players getting a game) and absolutely no line breaking speed.

Barrass, Hurn, Duggan and O’Niell were great. Nelson did a good job. Not sure what Dixon or Langdon are offering. Clark should be playing a full game next week on ball. Give the guy a go FFS.

img_9015-jpg.1471586

At some point between now and the 32 year old multi knee recon ruckman retiring, you’re going to give up the dream of him becoming an 80% TOG ruck for the first time since 2015. Coincidentally pre the first of two knee recons.

I understand you think Nic (and Ryan and Rioli ) are too big, but Nic’s role is not changing. Not because the club have no spine, or because he’s lazy, but because he’s been an absolute unit since he was 18 and is two knee recons deep whilst over the age of 30.

He plays high 60s to low 70s% TOG. He makes All Australian and wins Best and Fairests this way. That’s who he is. You can get upset about it every week but you’re only wasting your own time.

Plenty of other players into their 30s have tried to slim down and benefited from the results. If Nic was being effective ‘his way’ then I can understand, but he’s just not.

Rather than just accept it, why not try lose some kg’s and see how that goes instead? He’s being paid literally a million dollars.

If it’s not working out then he’ll have no problem putting the weight back on.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Nic Nat bad because didn't tackle player

Pls trade for Mark Seaby

Players get fatter through the season, its a known fact. The training loads get lighter during the week-to-week grind of an AFL season (compared to preseason), the calories go up in preparation for a game. Most players finish a seasons a few kegs heavier than where they started.

It's quite hard to change your body/fitness while still trying to recover from a game and prepare for the next. Add to that an injury, especially one that impacts your ability to run, and it all compounds.

People keep complaining about players being unfit and out of form who, coincidentally, suffered injuries this year. The COVID issues at the start of the year also meant that the club was put in a position where it was having to bring back players into the side as soon as it was viable.

Yet we wonder why there's fitness issues, and we wonder why some of the players returning from injury seem fat and slow?

View attachment 1476218
View attachment 1476220
View attachment 1476224

To counter this, The freo player literally slowed up to make the kick allowing Nic Nat to gain ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back