flyinghi64

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2006
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
Geelong injuries - Dangerfield and Higgins.
Eagles injuries - Yeo, Hurn, Shuey, Ryan, Kennedy, Petruccelle, Gov in 1st qtr. That doesn't include Rioli or Venables.

I know which team was already starting on the back foot.
I honestly don't know how much we actually invested in trying to win this game but when Gov went down i think it was all about getting through with NO MORE INJURIES.
In hindsight we haven't won there since 2006 with the premiership team. It is a fn tuff road trip so missing 7-10 of our best starting 22 makes it a little tougher.

Positive - only the one injury.
Neg - It was to another top 10 player.
FMD

Westend

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Geelong injuries - Dangerfield and Higgins.
Eagles injuries - Yeo, Hurn, Shuey, Ryan, Kennedy, Petruccelle, Gov in 1st qtr. That doesn't include Rioli or Venables.

I know which team was already starting on the back foot.
I honestly don't know how much we actually invested in trying to win this game but when Gov went down i think it was all about getting through with NO MORE INJURIES.
In hindsight we haven't won there since 2006 with the premiership team. It is a fn tuff road trip so missing 7-10 of our best starting 22 makes it a little tougher.

Positive - only the one injury.
Neg - It was to another top 10 player.
FMD

Venables who the F*k is that ......never plays if he is fit play him if he is consistently injured get rid of him....this isn't a bloody rehabilitation clinic...either play him or delist....its a football club driven by results...or are we !!!

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
That's one positive that McGovern goes out, we can bring in H Edwards in for some games.

McGovern has been poor this season regularly exposed so bringing in a defender that will defend first,
incept second maybe a good thing for the club.

Good luck Harry
Barrass also Plays better without Gov in the team.

shooshka

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Venables who the F*k is that ......never plays if he is fit play him if he is consistently injured get rid of him....this isn't a bloody rehabilitation clinic...either play him or delist....its a football club driven by results...or are we !!!
Option 3 is/was to put him on the inactive list. Could have brought in a mature mid in the ssp (note we can still do so in the mid season draft).

We desperately need 2 inside mids. But even 1 seasoned one would be beneficial. We knew Venables was not playing in the first half of the year, and Rioli. We have options but just seem to back in the boys (when we had Yeo injuries well known, shuey hurt on the eve of the season etc).

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
It has been two years since he was concussed. If he can't play some level of football by the mid season draft, he needs to go on the LTI list and we should pick up the best mid willing to nominate from the WAFL. Maybe they won't work, or maybe we'll get the next Hutchings, who can come in a provide some midfield depth.

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
No but that's the problem the quality of our kids are garbage ..also our mid range age group are just that mid range average players

Sold the farm for Kelly......who was a jet at geelong...atm he is just a good player nothing special. Tag him and he is crap

Seriously looking at one of the worst trades in our history team is going backwards due to that trade

TK always went to water when he was tagged playing for us too, but it rarely happened since Dangerfield and Selwood were the first ones tagged.

I’m sure once you have Shuey and Yeo in the team, he can again go back to the second or third mid which is when he has played his best football.

Priddis Is Done

Norm Smith Medallist
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
TK always went to water when he was tagged playing for us too, but it rarely happened since Dangerfield and Selwood were the first ones tagged.

I’m sure once you have Shuey and Yeo in the team, he can again go back to the second or third mid which is when he has played his best football.
You don't pay what we paid for a 3rd best or worse midfielder.

We shat the bed

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
You don't pay what we paid for a 3rd best or worse midfielder.

We shat the bed

Yeah you paid a lot. We paid even more for Cameron. Both players were out of contract but you gotta do what you gotta do.

TK was AA and had a top 5 Brownlow finish playing as our second mid. I sincerely hope he does similar for you guys because he’s a jet to watch when he’s on and he’s a genuinely good guy.

Jun 18, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
I watched the first quarter and a half live and came back and watched the rest of the game when I could on Kayo. That was a disgusting display of football. When St Kilda beat us a couple of weeks ago it was pretty simple - they were more hungry than us in the second half and we didn't match their intensity. Today, we started with great intensity and excellent team defense but when Geelong adjusted we failed to adjust too. That's on the coaches box.

Nic's not going to win every week, I thought Barrass fought hard without McGovern as we're usually pitting two All-Australian KPD's against one All-Australian KPF, not the other way around, but we can't rest on 'we're missing six of our first 22' or 'our style isn't suited to Kardinya'. We have to be able to adjust to what the opposition is throwing at us if plan A isn't working. Oscar was pretty solid again with limited opportunities. I thought Sheed did some good things. I thought Gaff had a shocker - lots of possessions but he seemed to put teammates under the pump at times.

Dale Doback

Team Captain
Aug 6, 2018
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Miami Heat
I woke up from night shift half way through the last quarter. Took my boys down the park. On review of the stats Ainsworth put in the definition of the witches hat game. For 48% time on ground he racked up 4 handballs, 1 mark, 0 tackles and 0 meters gained for the day.

How can this guy ever be considered for selection again? Turns 23 in November and out of contract. Surely its jog on, Trew gets the next opportunity.

darksquare

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2016
Edgewater
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Negatives: We are missing 5 All-Australians and a Norm Smith medallist, as well as Rioli and Petruccelle. Serious outs on every line. We also don't have the depth to replace them, and good midfields are absolutely pulling our pants down.
Positives: It can't get worse from here. Can it?

ThePuma #9

Club Legend
Sep 21, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, FC Barcelona
Langdon and Jones have not impressed me one bit. Jarmaine kicked 3 in his first but both have been mostly unseen.

Actually that's not true.

I see them every time they get pinged with the ball, fumble the ball or turn the ball over with poor disposal. Please for the love of god can we get Jarrod Cameron and dare i say it Petrucelle back in this side asap.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
The midfield is the serious, serious issue. Its so pedestrian and second rate with Shuey and Yeo out. Appreciate they are big outs, but the fact we just have nothing to replace them with is a direct result of our drafting of mids over the past few years, and I hope the club doesnt look past that. Just continually turn a blind eye to a problem that has been there for close to 10 years.
Club seems to think midfield depth creates too much of a flight risk, according to the poster who supposedly has ties to the recruitment team

Aug 12, 2014
P-town
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts, Prescot Cables
Positives

- Game was 4am UK time so I missed it.
- Had a highlights package lined up, but accidentally spied the score beforehand, so didn't end up having to sit through this crap.

Negatives

- I'll probably give in and torture myself with aforementioned highlights package.
- Pretty strong evidence now that we are just making making up the numbers. Forget the brilliant game against the Dogs (which is the best game I've seen this year) and domination against Port. Flag teams don't get beat like this. We'll probably make finals, but VERY unlikely to do any sort of damage in there.

The future

- If it ain't happening this year, and that is looking increasingly likely, there is no point limping on for another crack next year. We got a flag out of this group and that is amazing. I know everyone believes this group should have got 2, but consider the Pies 10-12, Swans 12-16, Us 05-07, Bombers 99-02 and you can put into perspective that just getting one is an amazing achievement which shouldn't be downgraded. A second flag is looking a forlorn hope so we are better off making some tough list calls this year, bottom out and cop our 2-3 years penance for a sustained finals run, and then look to bounce back in the middle part of this decade with the likes of Allen, Brander, Waterman, Barrass, Witherden, Duggan and Rotham flying in their prime, with 2-3 of Sheed, Yeo, Kelly, Darling and Gaff still running around in their twilight (The equivalent of Hurn and JK 2021), and hopefully a host of good draft picks. Maybe a couple of Langdon, Jones, O'Neill, Ainsworth etc will turn into really solid Rowan Jones style role players.

The bright side

- It can't get any worse this season and given the huge run of star players we now have out, it's not completely unfeasible that we turn this around. When it was just Yeo and Shuey, there were no excuses. But now we've got Hurn, Ryan, JK and McGovern that is a huge chunk of quality of the sidelines. Bringing them back in, should have a big impact on our performance.

The immediate future

- Whilst our 2021 prospects are looking pretty dim, we've stocked up the list to have a crack, so we have to just keep pushing. You never know what can happen, especially when we got those six guys back in the group. I'm pretty sceptical about Yeo playing this year, but the other five should all be good to go in the back half of the year. But then who knows what other injury problems will befall us before then. But just keep pushing. As I said, we should make finals. Unlikely to do much damage, but you never know you're luck. The Dogs 16 and Crows 97/98 show that it's not out of the question.

The real positives

- Forecast is for nearly 20 degrees in the UK today (yeah, yeah, I can hear the mockery from here it's OK. Just don't be surprised when I mock you for complaining about the cold in winter when it's 15 degrees) and the pubs are re-opened so I'm going to start get ******* blazed in about 4 hours time.
That's taps aff weather in Scotland!

Was wondering yesterday about one of your points. At what stage do we look to rebuild. Probably not at 3-3, but we've been an almost contender for the last 2 years. Must be weighed up with guys that still have currency that haven't got a flag, and a good core to build a side around that will be there in 3 years...

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Club seems to think midfield depth creates too much of a flight risk, according to the poster who supposedly has ties to the recruitment team
Of course that doesn't seem to bother the recruitment team when they're picking talls and end up having them play as midfielders because we haven't recruited any decent young mids because they're too much of a flight risk.

Back