Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Geelong, Rd 6 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it was a clarifying game.
The club can confirm the quality of many players and their leadership value.
Our inside mids were Gaff and Redden who both worked very hard but have limitations. With the exception of a couple of other players it was a 2016 GF mental capitulation. But the few who stood up included Brander, Witherden and JD. Perhaps Allen and Cripps as well. Valuable going forward as we inject returning injured players.
Our defence was headless without Hurn.

Yep. Our season was on the line, and now it is clearly off the line.
Turns out that the line is actually 2 lines, and they are more commonly known as rails.

In defense of our defence, it never stood a chance with the complete lack of any resistance up the ground. It doesn't seem fair to judge it based on that scenario, as no team's defence would cope with that type of tidal wave.
Having said that, Shep lowering his colours did stand out to me. That virtually never happens. But if anyone gets a pass based on having runs on the board it's him.

The club can confirm the quality of many players and their leadership value.
Our inside mids were Gaff and Redden who both worked very hard but have limitations. With the exception of a couple of other players it was a 2016 GF mental capitulation. But the few who stood up included Brander, Witherden and JD. Perhaps Allen and Cripps as well. Valuable going forward as we inject returning injured players.
I was surprisingly calm during the game.

Like Paul Keatings recession, I think this was the loss we needed to have.

I hope we respond to this.

Yep. Our season was on the line, and now it is clearly off the line.
Turns out that the line is actually 2 lines, and they are more commonly known as rails.

In defense of our defence, it never stood a chance with the complete lack of any resistance up the ground. It doesn't seem fair to judge it based on that scenario, as no team's defence would cope with that type of tidal wave.
Having said that, Shep lowering his colours did stand out to me. That virtually never happens. But if anyone gets a pass based on having runs on the board it's him.
Agree about the mids and impact on the defence (and Shep) but it was headless. A defence can ne beaten but still be ordered

Legitimately serious question:

Does our club employ a tackling coach?

If we don't, why not?

If we do, what the f&%k are they doing!?

Legitimately serious question:

Does our club employ a tackling coach?

If we don't, why not?

If we do, what the f&%k are they doing!?
That money is being spent on a coralling coach.

How many *ing times i saw 3 of us on the screen coralling the cats player with the ball..
That meant there was 3 easy options to hit up.

Then when we finally tackled, its incredibly weak and the player dishes off anyway. That insipid gaff tackle that resulted in a goal is just laughable.

I think the gameplan/coaching is wearing thin on the players.

How many f*n times i saw 3 of us on the screen coralling the cats player with the ball..

Then when we finally tackled, its incredibly weak and the player dishes off anyway. That insipid gaff tackle that resulted in a goal is just laughable.

Found footage of him at training

spirit-fingers.gif

How can this same team playing the same sport in the same month play both the Port game and this game?

This is literally how they've been since the Grand Final. You don't know which Eagles team is going to show up game to game, quarter to quarter, half to half these days. It's beyond frustrating at this point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All great teams have a few enforcers that set the physical standard for the team.

eg Worsfold, Riccuitto, Hodge, Matthews etc. How would Rohan have gone on Woosha or Hodge.

Don’t need to be captains either but there do need to be a few hard types.

All good winning sides have some mongrel. Who do we have setting our physical standard? Lycett used to do a bit and so did Nic before he was deemed too big to tackle. Willie and Ryan are probably the only players on our list who even try and dish out a bump.

We have a very soft underbelly and we show it whenever the going gets tough.

The most striking thing about the result of this game is the fact some people on here had the audacity to vent about a 37 win against Port...fu** me
You're missing the point.

The venting about the lack of intent in the second half against Port was entirely warranted.

This side, since 2018, picks and chooses when to go in hard. They pick and choose when to commit to the contest. They pick and choose when to take the risky option and play attacking footy. The scariest part of this is that some have suggested it is coach driven, and putting the cue in the rack is the coaches' idea of preserving ourselves for the next week.

This is madness. Good footy sides should have a consistent winners mindset and always look to apply themselves. I watch a guy like Liam Baker running around for Richmond last night, even when they'd lost the match. Puts in 100%, Beau Waters style. Always flies against bigger players, always throws himself at the footy to knock it out to a teammate.

How many current Eagles have that winning mindset? I can't think of any.

The real positives

- Forecast is for nearly 20 degrees in the UK today (yeah, yeah, I can hear the mockery from here it's OK. Just don't be surprised when I mock you for complaining about the cold in winter when it's 15 degrees) and the pubs are re-opened so I'm going to start get ******* blazed in about 4 hours time.
My head hurts. Please send help.

How many f*n times i saw 3 of us on the screen coralling the cats player with the ball..

It wasnt coralling in the first and it wasnt in the first hal;f against port. Conclusion; it is players mentally

Well one positive out of this is that we think petch is now best 22.

Thats how bad some of the fringe players are travelling at the moment lol.
All of a sudden, He's gone from "can't football" - to "best 22". Even by commentators and "experts".

I didn't see any negatives. It was all positives. I was at the game. This loss obviously had nothing to do with Simmo. He is a premiership coach and has a great win-loss ratio finals performance and all of that mumbo jumbo Data to support it. God forbid If we ever criticize him or we will get hit back with the " how many premierships have you won?" question.

I think Sheed was super and sharp, ahead of the game with his decision making, GAFF was incredible, pitty he had few mishaps like laying a tackle, kicking with his opposite foot, scoreboard pressure, or handball with non-dominant hand away from congestion. apart from all these minor issues, he was exceptional.

I thought Nic Nat was as usual faultless and played a perfect game. Similar to Gaff apart from his minor issues surrounding his general fitness, marking ability, or every now and then losing his man who ends up scoring at the other end, I thought he was elite and has to be excused from any criticism because for some reason he is also untouchable.

I think overall there wasn't much missing from our performance and where we want the boys to be to turn over a deficit of 15 plus goals loss. No need to sack anyone or blame anyone, also no need to take responsibility either, just come out and verbalize the word "accountability" and you are off the hook.

Let's not forget that we have by far the biggest injury list in the comp based on talent according to data ( Data was gathered by an Eagles supporter of course just to make sure it is genuine) who also have VIC media against us all the time always not to mention every umpire of the league blowing a whistle against us all the time for every decision.

I am pretty sure I have covered everything apart from oval size and weather conditions being against us every time we play a game.

Last edited:
I didn't see any negatives. It was all positives. I was at the game. This loss obviously had nothing to do with Simmo. He is a premiership coach and has a great win-loss ratio finals performance and all of that mumbo jumbo Data to support it. God forbid If we ever criticize him or we will get hit back with the " how many premierships have you won?" question.

I think Sheed was super and sharp, ahead of the game with his decision making, GAFF was incredible, pitty he had few mishaps like laying a tackle, kicking with his opposite foot, scoreboard pressure, or handball with non-dominant hand away from congestion. apart from all these minor issues, he was exceptional.

I thought Nic Nat was as usual faultless and played a perfect game. Similar to Gaff apart from his minor issues surrounding his general fitness, marking ability, or every now and then losing his man who ends up scoring at the other end, I thought he was elite and has to be excused from any criticism because for some reason he is also untouchable.

I think overall there wasn't much missing from our performance and where we want the boys to be to turn over a deficit of 15 plus goals loss. No need to sack anyone or blame anyone, also no need to take responsibility either, just come out and verbalize the word "accountability" and you are off the hook.

Let's not forget that we have by far the biggest injury list in the comp based on talent according to data ( Data was gathered by an Eagles supporter of course just to make sure it is genuine) who also have VIC media against us all the time always not to mention every umpire of the league blowing a whistle against us all the time for every decision.

I am pretty sure I have covered everything apart from oval size and weather conditions being against us every time we play a game.
Rose coloured glasses this one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back