Review Positives and Negatives Vs Geelong round 3

Remove this Banner Ad

A bit of perspective. If you reverse the 1st and 2nd halves people would be ******* singing from the mountaintops.

The first half was exactly what I was hoping for this year. Immense tackling, great pressure, good skills. Have no idea what happened in the 3rd, was like watching a good old fashioned Worsfold game - had to go behind to get in front.

Considering all the guys that were invisible for most of the day (Yeo, McGovern looking at you, chuck Barrass in there too) it wasn't that bad. Those are exceptions to the rule. Sheed and Masten contributed even if they are dumbass footballers.

We have a plethora of guys up forward who can kick goals and we don't need them to mark it first. Those are positive signs.

Overall I felt it was about as good as the Sydney performance in terms of intensity and there's a lot to be proud of there.

Positives
Started off on fire, haven't started flat footed this entire year
Nic Nat dominant
Sheed was sighted in the last quarter and was one of our best
Yeo turned the game on when he went to the centre
Waterman showed he has a spot in the team playing up the ground when JK comes back, even if he did fade in the second half
Masten improving (I feel sick writing that)
Sheppard is back to his best, repelled attacks when he went near the ball
NicNat2Shuey
Rioli was pretty impressive in the middle
Rioli and Ryan ran everywhere putting pressure on

Negatives:
Ryan's injury
Yeo who got AA on the half back flank is now s**t on the half back flank
ENTIRE ******* SCORE REVIEW SYSTEM
Something seems off with Gov and Barrass
Venables 0 tackles

Positives
Sheppard in AA form
Another ruck combo put to the sword.
The fact that we now know that Kelly is no better than any of our current midfielders. ( Had a diabolical 1st half)
Waterman playing Kennedy style. Engaging the game rather than sitting in a twenty metre square.

Negatives
Allowing Ablett to play loose across half back in third quarter and single handedly dragging the Cats back into the game.
Injuries.

Darling and Lecras with clutch goals when needed.
Young team will have dead patches like that and a midfield of that calibre will be difficult to stop once it gets going so nothing surprising to me. But I thought they fought it out and will only improve from the experience.

Negatives:
That score review system for Masten's goal somehow overturning the umpires decision despite what I saw looking at it that the cat player touches the ball and then Masten kicks it out of the air.
The field umpire calling for a review despite another field umpire calling touched the moment it left Hawkins' boot quite clearly so that the goal umpire was already prepared to call it touched.

Ryan's injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Positives: the game

Negatives: the fiancé lost her engagement ring somewhere between the stadiums toilets and the toilet at home. We walked home from the game and walked 2/3 of the way back looking for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh dear. I've lost a wedding ring, was a good excuse to redo the vowels vows so think of it as a positive.

Positives
Last year no way we would have come back we would have been overunned
We seem faster and fitter - Lecras, Ryan, Darling, all playing with real intent
Nic Nat - Is a beast, dead set beast

Negatives
Yeo seems a bit off to me need to let him play half back where he is so damaging not sure if he is a natural on baller
Kicking for goal - We should have been 60 points in front butchered easy chances in that first half

Positives
Last year no way we would have come back we would have been overunned
We seem faster and fitter - Lecras, Ryan, Darling, all playing with real intent
Nic Nat - Is a beast, dead set beast

Negatives
Yeo seems a bit off to me need to let him play half back where he is so damaging not sure if he is a natural on baller
Kicking for goal - We should have been 60 points in front butchered easy chances in that first half
Yeo seemed to spend all day back for zero impact. Then when he was in the middle for the last quarter went into beast mode. Would like to hear from others at the game to know whether he was around the stoppages earlier and just not getting near it.

That's what my missus says too.
20389.jpg

First half was very exciting. I think we got a nice glimpse into the future there. Throw in JK and we are looking pretty dangerous.

Waterman was great, especially in the first half. He has a good set of hands and a nice kick. Shows composure way beyond his years.

I thought Rioli took a step forward there. Much has been said about his forward prowess, but I thought he showed a bit in the middle. Also liked how he put his body on the line a few times. He is going to be an even greater asset than we hoped for, fitness permitting. I actually see him being more of a mid/pinch hitting forward in the future.

Nic Nat was just incredible. How anyone can question his output/impact I will never know. Any time he was on the field we grew another leg and in the last Q he was just phenomenal. Without doubt one of the most influential players in the AFL. I also pity anyone who has the misfortune to be tackled by him.

Sheppard was outstanding in defence. Love how he backs himself to take a grab and disposes of the ball very well. Really a very underrated player.

Also like how we are using Jetta. Sure, he makes the odd blunder, but his run, disposal and attacking mindset is a great asset in defence. Definitely feel we are playing to his strengths lining him up in the back half.

Ryan is showing way, way more than I ever could have hoped for. Takes the game on, is slippery quick and evasive and provides good forward defensive pressure when he doesn't have the ball. Definitely not a one trick pony. Hope his injury isn't serious.

I thought Darling really stood up in that last quarter and while he didn't seem to get that much opportunity for the rest of game, when he did, he did well. He's also done very well for the first two rounds so hats off to him - this from someone who has bagged him a fair bit in the past, for full disclosure.

All in all, it was a great performance against a supposed top four outfit that are blessed with arguably three of the top mids in the game.

I thought that while Geelong weren't helped by injuries, we showed a lot of heart in the last quarter to guts out an awesome win.

Nic Nat, Yeo(who had been very quiet all game), Sheed, Shuey and Darling in particular were outstanding in that last Q, but it really was a great team effort across the board.

Also great to open the account at Optus against a quality outfit.

+
Getting first win at Optus stadium
Nicnat back playing
We won 3 quarters
The fightback to kick 6 of the last seven goals was beautifu to watch , this group has plenty of grit and spirit ..

-
Nothing major Geelong are a good team and we couldn't keep them down ..

+ Nic Nat - love that man
Waterman, nice hands and positions his body really well in the contest, much better than I was expecting.
Sheed cocked some s**t up but put himself in good positions and came through when it counted.
Shep taking up the slack when Gov ain't going so good.
The atmosphere and noise when we got rolling in the last.
The crowd around us are cool, so much better than our old seats.:cool:
- Bit hard to be negative after such a great day, went with my son and drank way more than is healthy but what the hell.
3rd qtr was poor but the end result is what counts.:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back