Review Positives and Negatives Vs Geelong round 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Positives
Nic Nat was instrumental in the last quarter when needed. Wouldn't have won it without him igniting in the last 10 minutes.
Shuey did well in second quarter. Assisted in the last quarter. Our best midfielder.
Liam, Willie & Waterman stood up well majority of the game.
Shepard was the best defender by far today. Very courageous with his aerial marking.
LeCras has still a lot to offer. Should keep him on next year - get rid of Cripps.

Negatives
Midfield is still our weakest link - Redden is so soft.
Liam Ryan injury.
Masten in front of goal third quarter brain freeze was the icing on cake . MR USELESS Dropped completely out of the game after that. Had his chances, time to give someone else a go (Ainsworth).
J.Cripps is definitely NOT a team player. When running in for goals don't look for better options . Makes a lot of fundamental mistakes for a seasoned footballer - very noticeable in the last two matches. Should him the give marching orders - doesn't have much to offer and has very selfish attitude.
McGovern - behind the scenes contract negotiations seems to be affecting his game. Stop prolonging it. Get it out of the way ASAP so that he can carry on with job.

The big negative out of the game, aside from the 3rd quarter meltdown, was Mastens absolutely brain fade.

Incorrect decision or not, electing to play on, after taking a mark in the square, when Geelong had started to get a run on and we needed a settler, is damn near unforgivable.

It's easy to say it's not a big deal because we won today, but imagine if he did that in a final, or even worse, a grand final

Positives
Nic Nat was instrumental in the last quarter when needed. Wouldn't have won it without him igniting in the last 10 minutes.
Shuey did well in second quarter. Assisted in the last quarter. Our best midfielder.
Shepard was the best defender by far today. Very courageous with his aerial marking.
LeCras has still a lot to offer. Should keep him on next year - get rid of Cripps.

Negatives
Liam Ryan injury.
Masten in front of goal third quarter brain freeze was the icing on cake . MR USELESS Dropped completely out of the game after that. Had his chances, time to give someone else a go (Ainsworth).
J.Cripps is definitely NOT a team player. When running in for goals don't look for better options . Makes a lot of fundamental mistakes for a seasoned footballer - very noticeable in the last two matches. Should him the give marching orders - doesn't have much to offer and has very selfish attitude.
McGovern - behind the scenes contract negotiations seems to be affecting his game. Stop prolonging it. Get it out of the way ASAP so that he can carry on with job.
Masten had 18 disposals 7 marks 4 tackles
Venables had 9 disposals 2 marks and 0 tackles
But drop Masten, I'm all for giving young blokes a go but you have to be realistic.
Yeah he should have gone back and taken his kick, but the review was a shocker and it's not as though numerous players haven't made that blue before.

The big negative out of the game, aside from the 3rd quarter meltdown, was Mastens absolutely brain fade.

Incorrect decision or not, electing to play on, after taking a mark in the square, when Geelong had started to get a run on and we needed a settler, is damn near unforgivable.

It's easy to say it's not a big deal because we won today, but imagine if he did that in a final, or even worse, a grand final
Fickle game though, because if it gets correctly ruled a goal, nobody talks about it at all.

Jetta’s kicking out was a big positive from the parts of the game I caught.

Oh dear. I've lost a wedding ring, was a good excuse to redo the vowels vows so think of it as a positive.

Found it. Caught an Uber back home from East Perth. I cooked dinner, housemates came home and after the news was spread a few more tears shed. Missus even went for the whisky.

I check the u-bend in the bathroom sink, clean it out with no luck. We brush our teeth go to be bed, she goes to get changed and finds it inside her pants!

It’s fallen out of her bra while she washed her hands, into her shirt and somehow worked it’s way past the waistline on skinny leg jeans and fallen down to just above the knee.

Thankfully it didn’t fall out while we walked back to the stadium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waterman covered a lot of ground from what i could see.

Rioli did a lot of 1%. Has he scored a goal yet? They need to get him one soon.

Seems like venanbles coveres a lot of ground. he will find his spot.

nicnat is a beast as mentioned.

Think they need to utilise the switch better. multiple times we had shuey and sheppard alone but they went down the line

Positives

Negatives
Liam Ryan injury.

I think Masten has been pretty good since coming back and in no way think he should be dropped. In saying that, I think that any player who plays on from a mark in the goal square is just asking for trouble. Just go back and kick the absolute sitter, there is no need to roll the dice.

I think Masten has been pretty good since coming back and in no way think he should be dropped. In saying that, I think that any player who plays on from a mark in the goal square is just asking for trouble. Just go back and kick the absolute sitter, there is no need to roll the dice.
Exactly - in the context of the game where Geelong were getting on top he shouldn't have taken the risk. That incident really broke the hair on the camels back for WCE. It gave Geelong extra confidence for the rest of the quarter. Frstrating Campaigner Masten

First half was very exciting. I think we got a nice glimpse into the future there. Throw in JK and we are looking pretty dangerous.

Waterman was great, especially in the first half. He has a good set of hands and a nice kick. Shows composure way beyond his years.

I thought Rioli took a step forward there. Much has been said about his forward prowess, but I thought he showed a bit in the middle. Also liked how he put his body on the line a few times. He is going to be an even greater asset than we hoped for, fitness permitting. I actually see him being more of a mid/pinch hitting forward in the future.

Nic Nat was just incredible. How anyone can question his output/impact I will never know. Any time he was on the field we grew another leg and in the last Q he was just phenomenal. Without doubt one of the most influential players in the AFL. I also pity anyone who has the misfortune to be tackled by him.

Sheppard was outstanding in defence. Love how he backs himself to take a grab and disposes of the ball very well. Really a very underrated player.

Also like how we are using Jetta. Sure, he makes the odd blunder, but his run, disposal and attacking mindset is a great asset in defence. Definitely feel we are playing to his strengths lining him up in the back half.

Ryan is showing way, way more than I ever could have hoped for. Takes the game on, is slippery quick and evasive and provides good forward defensive pressure when he doesn't have the ball. Definitely not a one trick pony. Hope his injury isn't serious.

I thought Darling really stood up in that last quarter and while he didn't seem to get that much opportunity for the rest of game, when he did, he did well. He's also done very well for the first two rounds so hats off to him - this from someone who has bagged him a fair bit in the past, for full disclosure.

All in all, it was a great performance against a supposed top four outfit that are blessed with arguably three of the top mids in the game.

I thought that while Geelong weren't helped by injuries, we showed a lot of heart in the last quarter to guts out an awesome win.

Nic Nat, Yeo(who had been very quiet all game), Sheed, Shuey and Darling in particular were outstanding in that last Q, but it really was a great team effort across the board.

Also great to open the account at Optus against a quality outfit.
Great post

Negatives - another Sunday night game. Celebrated with a few after the game, come home and watch the last quarter that I recorded... and its almost midnight with work on Monday. Sore head incoming, but worth it. First win at the Nest!!! (let those stinky wharf rats call it a craypot, its a nest for mine).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeo seemed to spend all day back for zero impact. Then when he was in the middle for the last quarter went into beast mode. Would like to hear from others at the game to know whether he was around the stoppages earlier and just not getting near it.
He seemed to have a very different role. Was deep in defence a lot and was very negating. He was having an absolute mare really and couldnt get near it back there. As soon as he did get thrown on ball he seemed to get involved quickly and looked very lively.

positives Nic Nat and forward line
negatives midfield.If Nic Nat isn't dominating how ordinary is our midfield.The third quarter showed what may happen when we come across really good midfielda and better teams then geelong is at the moment.

+
Great game. Got on top, then the inevitable challenge from a good side came, rose above it and finished the game off well. Brilliant.

Some excellent individual performances;
Sheed played a blinder against a bloody good midfield. This game should give him a lot of confidence.
Shuey has some serious chemistry with NN. Superb game, and THAT goal. Wow.
Sheppard was huge down back, threw himself into every contest and took some great intercept marks.
NN. Please. Stay. Fit. I can't believe how much of difference this bloke makes.

-
I knew Geelong wouldn't roll over, but not being able to stop the rot when they got going is something that needs attention going forward.

McGovern was down by his usual lofty standards. They aren't sticking and he looks a bit unsure at the moment.
Barrass stunk it up. He didn't kill crucial contests, he gave his kicks too much air and made Hawkins look like a star at times.

Waterman covered a lot of ground from what i could see.

Rioli did a lot of 1%. Has he scored a goal yet? They need to get him one soon.

Seems like venanbles coveres a lot of ground. he will find his spot.

nicnat is a beast as mentioned.

Think they need to utilise the switch better. multiple times we had shuey and sheppard alone but they went down the line

Our forward line is beautiful in its freshness and unpredictability. Opposition scouts will be having a nightmare doing their planning against us.

A club with a midfield as weak as ours (let's not sugar coat it - NicNat papers over a LOT of cracks) - needs Yeo in there 100% of the time.

We have a billion guys who can skulk around the half back line taking intercept marks, so it's entirely unnecessary pushing him back there and weakening our already poor midfield in the process.

I've said it before and I'll say it again #YEOtomidfieldorGTFO

Positives
Yeo in the midfield

Negatives
Yeo out of the midfield
I think Yeo did what i do with vacuuming and the dishes, i will 'play my role' and do them for the team but do kind of a shitty job so the Mrs cracks the shits and then says im not doing them anymore, then when i cook i make sure i do a really good job. Did it in footy when the coach put me in the back pocket too sometimes your heart just isn't in it.

Positive
We won
Played well in patches, enough to get us over the line

Negative

Some of the comments here about 4 quarter footy.in modern game, it is very difficult to dominate 4 quarters.Its all about keeping up with opponents when they are hot and make sure you end up on top when you have the momentum.

It was expected to see cats greats get their hands on footy at some stage.Its even sweeter to see ya winning after that surge.

Get used to modern footy.its all about momentum and capitalising.Cats did the same thing to hawks last week too.every team does it now.its all about final score.

Great win by eagles.effort has improved significantly this season so far.

It’s not called meltdown.Its modern footy due to AFL being an even competition.If that’s the case, every team in this competition has a meltdown at some stage in a game.every team.

Tigers had it against crows, and against hawks, Swans had it against power.power had it against lions, giants had it against Swans.Please stop using that word, watch every game, then you see that’s expected in every game.

- Redden is still putting up cameo midfield possession numbers, and its even more glaring when Sheed really stepped up yesterday and Redden continues to fade in an out of games. He cannot continue to be the invisible man in the middle.

16-17 touches per game simply isnt a good enough contribution

Remove this Banner Ad

Back