Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Naitanui's inability to punch the ball forward and out of congestion despite getting hands to it first left me scratching my head.

Rarely did we win a clean take away from a clearance off a hitout, instead hit to a stationary player and either coughed it up or got wrapped up.

Just basic match day coaching IMO. Didn't mix it up, it was disappointing.
New midfield coach stat plz

Tough game. I was really worried we'd fold with all the rioli stuff. The fightback shows the team has great spirit, just couldn't keep going after a long year with short pre-season. I think the winner was always going to be thumped to Tigers so not the end of the world.

Hawkins to get one week. Deserves 2 but they won't rule him out for GF.

Defence needs to sort itself out. Barass and Gov need to start spoiling more and not just going for the intercept. Teams have worked them out so time to get back to fundamentals. Both are still excellent readers of the play and will bounce back.

Positives:
Hurn was excellent - stood up when it counted
We fought our way back into the contest
When we control the game we look amazing
Hickey tried manfully and did well
Gaff's middle part of the game was excellent
I thought Nelson was done but he shows heart, skills and has developed this season
Ryan and Petruccelle tried hard when they got near the ball

Negatives:
Hutchings selection and use - it made no sense to use a slow tagger to nullify Stewart when the greater threat was Geelong's midfield. Use him to tag one of the midfielders or drop him for Cameron
Defensive tactics - there were a number of occasions where Hawkins and Ratugalea were able to get one on one or uninterrupted jumps at the ball. Where was our third man up? Gov and Barrass also stank it up hard.
Playing all four quarters - nuff said. Monocle summed that one up.
JK - tried hard but looks off. He is taking the no 1 defender but his output has dropped a lot and I dont think another season will assist in developing Brander / Allen
Cripps - where were you pal? A senior player who needed to step up and help us to lock it into our 50.

To be fair, at the time and the way we were playing I thought there was ZERO chance we'd fight back from 32 points.

I was a total wreck, couldn't eat, screaming at the TV, most emotional I've been in a game all year..

And then they did it. Turned a 32 point defecit into a 7 point lead. Just ground it out and got back on top. Backs against the wall, playing like garbage, amazing.

Not at all surprised they flopped in the last. You can only keep Dangerflog down for so long and he made Yeo look silly in the last quarter, which rarely happens.

Sure we coughed up some INFURIATING games (Hawks, Collingwood at home) which probably directly cost us our flag tilt..

But after everything we've done over the past 24 months, is there still people out there questioning the ticker of this group? :heart:

If so, fold your account.

To be fair, at the time and the way we were playing I thought there was ZERO chance we'd fight back from 32 points.

I was a total wreck, couldn't eat, screaming at the TV, most emotional I've been in a game all year..

And then they did it. Turned a 32 point defecit into a 7 point lead. Just ground it out and got back on top. Backs against the wall, playing like garbage, amazing.

Not at all surprised they flopped in the last. You can only keep Dangerflog down for so long and he made Yeo look silly in the last quarter, which rarely happens.

Sure we coughed up some INFURIATING games (Hawks, Collingwood at home) which probably directly cost us our flag tilt..

But after everything we've done over the past 24 months, is there still people out there questioning the ticker of this group? :heart:

Fair call. Fickle supporters quickly forget just what this group of players achieved last year against all odds. Courage or heart is not something I would question, I think they have proven they have it in spades.

I was pretty much resigned to a flogging on the basis that I thought the players would be as flat as me after the Rioli suspension. So in a way I was pretty calm in that first quarter while it didn’t look like the players wanted to be out there at all.

The second and third quarter comeback got me absolutely up and about and they showed me why I absolutely love that football club.

Unfortunately I left to go to work at 3 quarter time with the intention of listening to the last quarter showdown on the radio. By the time I clocked in and turned on the radio we were 3 goals down and I completed the rest of my shift dead silent as flat as ever.

However this is why we follow sport; you can’t have the highs of a Premiership without the lows of these past couple of days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was at the game, ground level...Theres were my take aways:
-Hutchings is so limited offensively
-Masten, Waterman kept getting heckled saying this isnt the WAFL..both got done for holding the ball
-Gaff was massive for us.. really feel bad for him
-Kennedy didnt do enough
-Mcgovern and Barrass keep getting beat 1 v 1
-Cripps MIA
-Sheed MIA?

Was at the game, ground level...Theres were my take aways:
-Hutchings is so limited offensively
-Masten, Waterman kept getting heckled saying this isnt the WAFL..both got done for holding the ball
-Gaff was massive for us.. really feel bad for him
-Kennedy didnt do enough
-Mcgovern and Barrass keep getting beat 1 v 1
-Cripps MIA
-Sheed MIA?

Really felt for Gaff NN and Shep 😓

Problem is winning a flag sets the bar so damn high for the next season and the fact that both Geelong and Hawks have won multiple premierships in the span of a few years makes it hard not to see events like this as a failure, it's like if they get multiple flags why can't we?

Fact is making a GF is tough as *, winning it even tougher. Sometimes we forget just how awesome and lucky we are to support a club where getting knocked out after a Semi final away from home against the minor premiers the year after winning a flag feels like a massive failure; how many clubs would be chomping to have their team perform like West Coast consistently does?

We don't accept failure, our club's CULTURE* is success (and dem sweet sweet drugz) but sometimes as fans we need to temper expectations.

Work on the system, work on the fitness, work on the skills.

2020 starts soon.

Describes my night perfectly. Felt exactly the same way. Was watching with my 10 year old and he was in tears of sadness post game. For me, I was absolutely proud of the boys and their fight. I told him he needed to realise only one team wins, it sucks when it's not yours. These lows will come, a lot. But it makes the highs well worth it.

Could be worse. Could be a supporter of complete train wreck clubs where making just the finals is a Godsend. Their only joy is having a chuckle when teams they hate (because they win a lot) go down. Now that would be a sad existence.

Glad I follow this club. Proud of their fight. We truly are a spoiled lot, aren't we? In times like these, we can just take a breather and reset ourselves for next year. And if we're needing an itch scratched, pop on one of our four flag wins, mixed with some of our finest last gasp victories here and there.

Tough game. I was really worried we'd fold with all the rioli stuff. The fightback shows the team has great spirit, just couldn't keep going after a long year with short pre-season. I think the winner was always going to be thumped to Tigers so not the end of the world.

Hawkins to get one week. Deserves 2 but they won't rule him out for GF.

Defence needs to sort itself out. Barass and Gov need to start spoiling more and not just going for the intercept. Teams have worked them out so time to get back to fundamentals. Both are still excellent readers of the play and will bounce back.
If hawkins gets a week i will be happy. They just played their GF, emotionally, and the tigers will do them over

Just wanted to pop my head in and say commiserations on the loss last night. It’s been a funny year where nothing (okay, except maybe the AFL’s manufactured return games) has split the top five or six clubs who are all very capable and unfortunately I think you were a victim of that. I think there’s a lot for you to be proud of and the gap between all of the remaining sides is negligible - everyone is very capable of beating everyone else on the right day and you just got unlucky that yesterday wasn’t yours.

If I could, I’d gladly take the net result of a premiership and a semi final exit over the last two years if it were offered to me, so the Eagles have achieved plenty and both the players and fans have won plenty of admirers along the way.

All the best for next season. I look forward to our next meeting (but I’m also s**tting myself at the prospect because you’re ******* quality).
Thanks mate, all the best for the finals and you are correct the competition is so tight that we didnt improve enough to stay ahead of the curve. That is life i guess. Yes still very happy with a a premiership last years. Just shows how hard it is to win one so I am grateful for that. Once again all the best mate to you and your tea.

Problem is winning a flag sets the bar so damn high for the next season and the fact that both Geelong and Hawks have won multiple premierships in the span of a few years makes it hard not to see events like this as a failure, it's like if they get multiple flags why can't we?

Fact is making a GF is tough as fu**, winning it even tougher. Sometimes we forget just how awesome and lucky we are to support a club where getting knocked out after a Semi final away from home against the minor premiers the year after winning a flag feels like a massive failure; how many clubs would be chomping to have their team perform like West Coast consistently does?

We don't accept failure, our club's CULTURE* is success (and dem sweet sweet drugz) but sometimes as fans we need to temper expectations.

Work on the system, work on the fitness, work on the skills.

2020 starts soon.
Not wrong there 7 grand finals in 33 years and 4 premierships we are damm spoiled. I am proud of the team culture and our leaders. The Willie Rioli incident aside our club has not really put a foot wrong since 2007.

Just wanted to pop my head in and say commiserations on the loss last night. It’s been a funny year where nothing (okay, except maybe the AFL’s manufactured return games) has split the top five or six clubs who are all very capable and unfortunately I think you were a victim of that. I think there’s a lot for you to be proud of and the gap between all of the remaining sides is negligible - everyone is very capable of beating everyone else on the right day and you just got unlucky that yesterday wasn’t yours.

If I could, I’d gladly take the net result of a premiership and a semi final exit over the last two years if it were offered to me, so the Eagles have achieved plenty and both the players and fans have won plenty of admirers along the way.

All the best for next season. I look forward to our next meeting (but I’m also s**tting myself at the prospect because you’re ******* quality).
You’re all class Tarks

Now * off ♥️

Remove this Banner Ad

Back