Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Just wanted to pop my head in and say commiserations on the loss last night. It’s been a funny year where nothing (okay, except maybe the AFL’s manufactured return games) has split the top five or six clubs who are all very capable and unfortunately I think you were a victim of that. I think there’s a lot for you to be proud of and the gap between all of the remaining sides is negligible - everyone is very capable of beating everyone else on the right day and you just got unlucky that yesterday wasn’t yours.

If I could, I’d gladly take the net result of a premiership and a semi final exit over the last two years if it were offered to me, so the Eagles have achieved plenty and both the players and fans have won plenty of admirers along the way.

All the best for next season. I look forward to our next meeting (but I’m also s**tting myself at the prospect because you’re ******* quality).
You’re a champ Tarks :thumbsu:

Now, what Biggie said

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
We got beaten up by a bigger stronger midfield. Lots of fast intense and brutal contested possessions - the stuff we we're supposed to bring? Outclassed by a team who played just as well outside the narrow confines of the Cattery?

Barrass and Gov need to work on their one-on-one defensive work, teams have worked them out, just physically intimidate them, cut out their cute intercepting work. Think I saw both get rag-dolled last night, Gov especially get outmuscled by Hawkins. The amount Gov gets paid, he should have more tricks in his bag, be more of an all-rounder, a bit spoilt perhaps.

Is there ever a game where Selwood doesn't have blood and bandages?
AhChee could've looked good in there last night.
So many questions, as a supporter you paper over the cracks with cliches and blind faith, but last night showed we were never as good as we thought we were, or as Simmo kept saying we were?
The comp caught up and overtook us. We were beaten by teams well below us, at home. Did we ever beat a team above us? Through the course of the season, often the reality is staring you in the face but you just don't want to see it -myself included of course.
It was a strange year of being hunted and topsy-turvey games with 6-6-6 and equalisation etc, capped off with the Rioli saga on the eve of a finals game!?

Just so difficult to win from W.A, so much has to go right.
Reset, recover, improve, draft-trade -MIDFIELDERS!(apart from TK)
Anyway, we look good for next year with the monkey off the back!

Last edited:

Trebor57

Senior List
Apr 7, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth Arsenal
Sheed's tackling is beyond poor.

Agree, rarely sticks a tackle, often can't break a tackle, often has the ball ripped away from him when he goes to ground with it, and seems to amble along on the fringes when an opposition player breaks from a stoppage. Consider him a defensive liability.

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
Eh. Sport is hard work. Last night was tough and I absolutely hate Geelong. It'll be a great day for opposition supporters when J.Selwood, Dangerflog and Ablett all retire and * off. I still stand by my melting comments from last night, the fix was totally in at stages last night.

At least a majority of this squad has a full pre season for 2020. Get Venables & Barrass sorted.

As much as he's whipping boy extraordinaire, it was quite sad seeing Masto in tears. That tells me that his AFL career is done. I hope Schofield is offered another year though.

Last edited:

twce13

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Been a tough old slog this season, still proud of the lads, even if a bit dissapointed.

On the game just a few points.
- echo many sentiments around hutch, whats the point rushing him back, under done and then he gets a role like last night... i hope we move past him next year.
- waterman field kicking is Perhaps his biggest limitation. So loopy, that kick to JK in the first fried me
- sheed is a liability at times. His defensive work is abysmal and cant hold a tackle anndd he is way too flat footed with the ball coming in his direction.. he looked very much wafl quality last night
+ryan was very good, sums up his season. Well done.
+petch lost no friends last night. He cops it a bit, but i think he took giant strides this year. He has some things to work out, but his x factor is worth persisting with. Could be a game changer for years to come.
+darling always a threat

The wily weagle

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
I would like to nominate a new player nickname:

Tommy "bathwater" Barrass

Clearly, the guy drunk an absolutely ton of it this year

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
Yep definately hoping that we get super hungry for success next year.

Simmo should make the team sit at the Grand Final and watch what they missed out on to remind them of that feeling.

No sitting there drinking and carryinf on either. Sit there and soak in the pain.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Neale4brownlow

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Yep definately hoping that we get super hungry for success next year.

Simmo should make the team sit at the Grand Final and watch what they missed out on to remind them of that feeling.

No sitting there drinking and carryinf on either. Sit there and soak in the pain.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just dont lock them in a room with the Richmond theme song on loop...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just wanted to pop my head in and say commiserations on the loss last night. It’s been a funny year where nothing (okay, except maybe the AFL’s manufactured return games) has split the top five or six clubs who are all very capable and unfortunately I think you were a victim of that. I think there’s a lot for you to be proud of and the gap between all of the remaining sides is negligible - everyone is very capable of beating everyone else on the right day and you just got unlucky that yesterday wasn’t yours.

If I could, I’d gladly take the net result of a premiership and a semi final exit over the last two years if it were offered to me, so the Eagles have achieved plenty and both the players and fans have won plenty of admirers along the way.

All the best for next season. I look forward to our next meeting (but I’m also s**tting myself at the prospect because you’re ******* quality).

Come play for the Bears.

kerr87

Cancelled
Sep 22, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Maybe we made a mistake by dropping Duggan.

Really helps our defnese by filling the wholes and punching balls out. Could have been handy ib the first to prevent sht marks by Geelong inside 50.

Missed Cole's attacking play this year.

Generalissimo

His Excellency
Jul 14, 2002
Somewhere
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The Mighty Cats
I know you guys will be a powerful force again next year. It'll be interesting to see, if the fixture falls that way, how we go against you on your home turf.

Eagles sure do know how to stage a comeback. I wouldn't be too upset about the last quarter; from a Cats fan's point of view it looked like you'd given everything to draw level and then had no more fuel in the tank in the last quarter. We've been in that position often enough with our frequent slow starts that I know what it looks like. The difference between this and last year's GF is that the Pies aren't quite as fast or fit as us.

We'll probably see you in the finals again next year, and if you want to give Freo a good pantsing along the way I'd be more than pleased.

May 15, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Commiserations on the loss.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game - this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces. As CD's official centre clearance stats are no longer accessible via the AFL's match centre, I've tabulated my own - I can't vouch that they're identical to CD as it is entirely possible that their definition of a centre clearance and mine differ (possible they gave Gaff 2 and Hurn's was given to the initial Geelong kick).

Overall Summary - 27 Bounces

Masten 26 wing
Shuey 24 (2w)
Gaff 24 (17w, 7i)
Yeo 22
Redden 19 (3w)
Sheed 18 (4w)
Waterman 1 wing
Cripps 1 wing

Rucks:
Naitanui 21
Hickey 6

Centre Clearances
Naitanui 5
Redden 2
Hickey 1
Gaff 1
Hurn 1
Shuey 1
Yeo 1

Q1 - 7

Masten 7 wing
Redden 7 (2w)
Shuey 6 (1w)
Yeo 6
Gaff 5 (3w, 2i)
Sheed 4 (1w)

Naitanui 6
Hickey 1

Q2 - 7

Masten 6 wing
Shuey 6
Gaff 6 (4w, 2i)
Yeo 6
Sheed 6 (2w)
Redden 3
Waterman 1 wing
Cripps 1 wing

Naitanui 6
Hickey 1

Q3 - 8

Masten 8 wing
Gaff 8 (6w, 2i)
Shuey 7 (1w)
Yeo 6
Redden 6 (1w)
Sheed 5

Naitanui 5
Hickey 3

Q4 - 5

Masten 5 wing
Shuey 5
Gaff 5 (4w, 1i)
Yeo 4
Redden 3
Sheed 3 (2i, 1w)

Naitanui 4
Hickey 1

Notes:
- Fewest ruck starts for Hickey from his 13 analysed games
- Equal 3rd lowest inside starts for Gaff from his 12 analysed games

ME ME ME

Senior List
Sep 23, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Sheed lacks a defensive game is not the quickest player going around.

Outmuscled in the midfield and something that has been glaring issue all season

Barrass and McGovern have been worked out and appear vulnerable in one on ones.

JK - he is on his last legs in 2020 and his body is appears to be failing him

Positives - Nic Nat got some game time and should hopefully work towards getting a full season next year.

No Ah Chee was poor selection over the bulk of the season. Too much left to Yeo, Shuey and Redden as we have no bigger bodies to give them a chop out from the forwards and the defenders don't add any rotations at all. I really think Ah Chee would stiffen us up around the ball when our big guns are struggling/under pressure all night.

If our intercept game isn't working we have to get our hands on the footy the old fashioned way.

Dec 19, 2007
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
soccer rugby union and le
Bah humbug!!....Dom Sheed needs to be traded.We cant pick him forever because of THAT goal.Hes Priddis without the tackling.
....The umpires absolutely SCREWED us!
....Waterman is not up to AFL.Hes an athlete not a footballer.Sooooo slow with ball in hand.Sluggish at the contest.Wouldnt want him kicking for goal to save my life.
...Oallen should have played.He has the magic.The kids two steps ahead of most players on the field and hes a great mark something we always seem to struggle with against Geelong.
....JK is getting served up for not holding his marks.JK was NEVER a great pack mark.Its not his thing.Hes a leading forward.By trying to lessen our unhealthy reliance on him we tried to make him something hes not.
....When Ryan came into the team it was all about his freakish marking.Now its about his great field play and spot kicking with the odd screamer thrown in.Now Petrol needs to stop worrying about burning people off for easy goals out the back and focus on 8-10 tackles a game.The goals will be a byproduct.
....I dont think the Eagles handled this season very well [ yes hindsight is a wonderful thing ]. We seemed to be treading water waiting for things to happen.Waiting for last years form to kick in.We didnt introduce enough new blood,Mallen should have been played;good enough or not,we didnt find out.
Our defence was all over the place but we hung in coz they were "gunna" come good.Oallen could have gone down back.He has shown an uncanny ability to get a fist into most contests;something Barass and Gov struggled with at times.
Why oh why didnt Gov get a run in the guts? Much as i admired Hickeys efforts he was ultimately a weakness.We were VERY conservative at times,packing the defence,boundary hugging, instead of trying to win games!!
With the best spread of small forwards we've ever had why were most kicks into the forward line big bombs?? Watching the WAFL Eagles they are the same.Big bombs to big forwards.Never mind the horde of running small guys at a 45% angle all on their own.
.....Lets hope next year we get proactive and not rely on tired old tried and true! We'll be back!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back