Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Geelong

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Waterman’s second position is back flank. Back in the 16’s talent carnival he played forward for a half and the defence in the other half. He was pretty damn effective in those games and would run, carry and link up really well. Moves the ball a lot like those Collingwood backs.

His field kicking has improved a lot since then and he’s obviously taller and would be a more effective intercept player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
His field kicking has improved out of sight

ROYAL EAGLE

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
Positives
+ I love being an eagles supporter. Not just the success, but the football we play.
+ NN is huge.
+ Kennedy proving me wrong. I thought he was cooked, now he's leading the Coleman
+ Our midfield clicking
+ Cripps finding some form
+ Our ability to respond when behind is very similar to 2018.

Negatives
- Edwards injury
- Ainsworth doing nothing to change my mind that he's not up to it.
- Cameron's return seems a bit premature. Probably needs a few games in the ressies to get his touch back.
- Ah Chee needs to be contributing over 4 quarters, not just a quarter or a couple of plays (as he did yesterday).

Very unfair on AhChee
Had less ground time than any other player, he was hardly on the ground in the first quarter
His third and fourth quarters where great, especially his physicality when we needed players to step up and he did.
A couple of his contests in the last where crucial to us not giving the ball back to Geelong.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Geelong were under strength no doubt, but the past history of the names make them sound like bigger outs than they are

Stanley wouldn’t have done any better than Rata, although granted it would have freed Rata up to play forward.

Dahlhaus never does much whenever I watch Geelong play.

Ablett and Selwood are still undoubtedly match winners on their day, but not sure how they would have come up after last week’s slog fest. They both have just as many quiet games as they do dominant ones.

Redden is the same - not going to pretend we missed him all that much, but when his replacement is someone like Braynus it’s not great.

All in all, a weaker Geelong side but they gave it everything early and kicked flawlessly in front of goal. We didn’t handle their extra person in defence very well at all early, and if we had the level of efficiency going forward that we had last weekend, we would never have been down by 4 goals.

Aug 14, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardiff City
What does it say about our small mids when players practise crumbing off ruckman in forward line using a key forward?

Contract training drills can only be done in groups of nine under COVID protocols. Under those circumstances it becomes likely for unusual scenarios to be thrown up in situations like forward stoppages where normally more players would perhaps be involved.

It probably came off informally at training and worked flawlessly at the right time last night.

I don't expect to see it again - however it will indirectly help the crumbers who normally hunt these situations, as you can guarantee Kennedy will be given more attention by his defensive marker around these situations in future, which will help to open up channels that can be exploited.

Dec 7, 2000
Victoria home of football
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles
Very unfair on AhChee
Had less ground time than any other player, he was hardly on the ground in the first quarter
His third and fourth quarters where great, especially his physicality when we needed players to step up and he did.
A couple of his contests in the last where crucial to us not giving the ball back to Geelong.
Fair nuff, I didn't realise the time on ground. Just assumed he was MIA.

When he's switched on, he's a very good player. If he could be more consistent there'd be no debate about his place in the 22.

Jiggyman

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
First Quarter Nic & midfield connection:

Nic1.gif

Nic2.gif

Nic3.gif

Nic4.gif

Aug 14, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardiff City
Club put in a official complaint post game re: umpiring

First time Simmo has ever done this.

Interesting if true.

I would assume it would be in reference to the varying interpretations between holding the ball / incorrect disposal and holding the man that swung wildly during the match and could have imparted a significant bearing upon its result had Geelong kicked accurately at critical times.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Very unfair on AhChee

Recall Ah chee hitting a contest hard and punching the ball on, we cleared and ended up goaling.

He has a role and has a crack.

Some people will still argue that Worpel is a crab and that it’s a 0-0 draw, though.
I don't understand these arguments. Do people expect our drafting team to nail 100% of the picks and all other drafting teams to make the mistakes for us?

Yes, Ainsworth is a disappointing option if he's the next best mid we have, but I've never understood the "we could have had X" argument. Every club passes on most players every year. Some of those players turn out good.

Why not go through and see everyone taken after Ainsworth that's been a complete non event thus far and go gee good thing we took Ainsworth over that guy. Nobody ever would, cause it's a really weird thing to do, but it's no different to going back and looking at everyone we 'missed'.

The further down the draft you go the more speculative it is, so be it.

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
Ainsworth is the worst AFL footballer I have seen in a long time.
His lack of defensive pressure and poor chasing is worst than his kicking.
Why he is getting a game over Xavier O'Neil I cant understand.
And I thought I was the president of the "Let's Delist Ainsworth Club"! Well put RE. You can join Monocle and me in the balcony.
1596344665337.png

1596344723614.png

1596344949787.png

Doashuey

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
That play was quicker than the umps could call play on but Guthrie Duggan and the ump all knew he played on
Yeah once a player takes a mark and comes to a halt then accelerates over the mark, the opposition is entitled to wrap him up before the ump calls play on as it happens to quick to wait for a call.

EagleShore

Premiership Player
Feb 25, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Fell over the line against a middle of the road Geelong side without Gaz and Selwood, at home.

Hope you guys make finals. Reckon a finals win is a pass mark for your list.

Ladies and gentlemen, if you're unfamiliar with passive aggression, THIS is a beautiful example.

Allen looks a decent prospect.
Decent :tearsofjoy:

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Jk was unbelievable

Also there was a play where Hawkins drops a chest mark and Kelly effortlessly picks it up fro his bootlaces. It was magical.

NN is a game changer.

On a sour note, Ainsworth is pure trash.

Back