Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2012
City of churches
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Sturt, Southampton FC, LSU
Jk was unbelievable

Also there was a play where Hawkins drops a chest mark and Kelly effortlessly picks it up fro his bootlaces. It was magical.

NN is a game changer.

On a sour note, Ainsworth is pure trash.
Kelly's hands below his knees are absolutely elite, he's like the anti-Cripps (Jamie).

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Let's be clear, it's not Ainsworth vs every player in the 2017 draft taken after him.

It's Ainsworth vs exclusively the 2 clear as day midfield options we reached and chose him over.

There were 2 very obvious midfielders we would have been thrilled to get. Going into 2018 with the retirement of Priddis and Mitchell our midfield stocks looked dire and Worpel was a midfield leader in the making, captain of Vic Countries side. Explosive inside/outside.

Meanwhile Constable had BBIBWBLF written all over him. With Priddis gone we were chasing a big bodied midfield extractor and he ticked that box perfectly with his clean hands at stoppages and big frame. Many wanted us to select him with our FIRST pick, let alone our FOURTH.

3 years later, both of those 2 look like they have a promising future in the AFL, whilst the other does not. It's not "Ainsworth bashing", he didn't ask to be selected as high as he did, it's just the way it is.

I'll congratulate our team on the selection of Allen, but let's be honest here, it was a pretty obvious choice as he was highly rated, from WA and surprisingly still available. It's not like we plucked a gem out of nowhere by having all the other clubs pass on him. It's like Darling all over again.

Ryan, our recruiters paid a premium for after failing to act 12 months earlier. Do you call that a win? Probably, considering he's still a good pick 26, but once again i'm not going to go full circle jerk over that selection after remembering Gorter.

Like you said HB, you win some you lose some. In the Ainsworth case, it looks like we've well and truly missed an opportunity.

You can't revel in the Allen selection like we all do, and not be able to also acknowledge what could have been if we used pick 32 on one of those mids instead.

Poor old Brander is copping just as much heat as Brayden, and he's a developing tall. That's probably only going to get worse on here as well :(
Brander was always going in the first round though. I’m only annoyed at the Ainsworth selection because it appeared to be a reach - whether the recruiting community also thought it was a reach, of course we’ll never know.

Like you say it’s not hating on the player but on the apparent decision to reach.

Oct 29, 2007
Perth Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Duggan has a very Sheppard feel about his career.

Highish pick, good first year or so. Everyone expected a move to the midfield, but the next couple of years looked a bit disappointing. Slowly found his feetdown back and becomes a very reliable defender.

Having a great year is Duggo

Been thinking the same thing.

Took Shep Till his 6th year to really be that consistent player and from 2015 has gotten better and better. Duggan is in his 6th year and has really gone up a level.

Love Jetta but him being out the team has really helped Duggan and to a lesser extent Nelson and Cole reach the next level they really needed to do.

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Been thinking the same thing.

Took Shep Till his 6th year to really be that consistent player and from 2015 has gotten better and better. Duggan is in his 6th year and has really gone up a level. Duggan reaches consistency in 2018 but it dropped off at the mid point of 2019.

Love Jetta but him being out the team has really helped Duggan and to a lesser extent Nelson and Cole reach the next level they really needed to do.

CoastersFlag No.5

Premium Platinum
Aug 25, 2007
Not in Fremantle
AFL Club
West Coast
Happy Monday!
dyRd5890Q93qsbDztc.gif

How annoying must Shuey be to watch as an opposition supporter.

Such a slippery kent. Twisting and turning and creating space for himself to more often than not and then hitting the correct target by foot. Absolutely elite.

Must be so satisfying getting him caught HTB.

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Also lol at a few comments comparing Ainsworth now to guys like Duggan, Sheed, Nelson and Cole during their early days. A couple of those guys were High ish picks but with a ton of potential/talent and all of them showed glimpes early on in their career.

Look I’ll admit that his role in the side is difficult but he just doesn’t have the traits to do so at AFL. I would have just rather see the club beef him up over the last couple off seasons and groom him to be the next inline inside mid.

Last edited:

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast

Such a slippery kent. Twisting and turning and creating space for himself to more often than not and then hitting the correct target by foot. Absolutely elite.

Feel like his evasiveness, vision, decision making and foot skills are so under appreciated by the commentators.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Also lol at a few comments comparing Ainsworth now to guys like Duggan, Sheed, Nelson and Cole during their early days. A couple of those guys were hugging picks but with a ton of potential/talent and all of them showed glimpes they early on in their career.

Look I’ll admit that his role in the side is difficult but he just doesn’t have the traits to do so at AFL. I would have just rather see the club beef him up over the last couple off seasons and groom him to be the next inline inside mid.
Duggan got 25 touches, 7 marks and 4 I50 in his first full game (not as the sub). He’d only recently turned 18 by that stage.

Wadsworth

Fold the Eagles
Jul 21, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast

You just reminded me of one of my favourite plays of the night. I'm a huge fan of Shuey's skills on his left foot. There was one play where he circled on his left, looked like he took an extra step to straighten and get onto his right... then thought "nah fukk it. I'll kick on my left anyway because I can".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hap Hapablap

I'm off to Nepal to become a mountain goat.
Jun 27, 2006
Where the cows go bong.
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers,Internazionale, Man U
pros: kennedy winding back the clock and showing hes a sick campaigner and will win the coleman

nic nat terrorising the field

darling yeo sheed shuey and kelly all rising to the occassion

watching duggan frolick with his mullet was a1.

cons:

* yourself razor ray

* you geelong

lost my voice from raging (could taste blood literally)

ainsworth is done

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Duggan got 25 touches, 7 marks and 4 I50 in his first full game (not as the sub). He’d only recently turned 18 by that stage.
Was that the game he was moved on Leigh Montagna after he was running amok and shut him down? Reckon Yeo got suspended that game or took an awesome mark.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Was that the game he was moved on Leigh Montagna after he was running amok and shut him down? Reckon Yeo got suspended that game or took an awesome mark.
Nah it was against GWS

That could have been when Yeo got suspended for a late spoil that hit the guy in the head, which was against St K

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Nah it was against GWS

That could have been when Yeo got suspended for a late spoil that hit the guy in the head, which was against St K
Duggan back then was so good to watch as his kicking on both sides was awesome. Sorta wish he can get his kicking game back.

Legit the juiciest block by the umpire on Harry Taylor.

Margetts must have jumped the fence to do his part.....
Already had the step on him so I don't think it made much difference.

Dec 7, 2000
Victoria home of football
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles
Also lol at a few comments comparing Ainsworth now to guys like Duggan, Sheed, Nelson and Cole during their early days. A couple of those guys were hugging picks but with a ton of potential/talent and all of them showed glimpes they early on in their career.

I do feel for him. Between his bambi innocent look and soft pudgy body, it's difficult to hang s**t on the guy without feeling like you're bullying a 12 year old.
But he's clearly not AFL standard. He's been given a good run of games and at no point showed any glimpses. Kicking is awkward & slow, handballs are limp-wristed, has no pace or hardness at the contest.

You also too often see him near the contest but not quite in it. Like he's scared to get in the way of the real senior players, so just hovers uselessly near them. A couple good spoils or "going when it's his turn to go" (as someone phrased it) does not make an AFL career.

I do feel for him. Between his bambi innocent look and soft pudgy body, it's difficult to hang sh*t on the guy without feeling like you're bullying a 12 year old.
But he's clearly not AFL standard. He's been given a good run of games and at no point showed any glimpses. Kicking is awkward & slow, handballs are limp-wristed, has no pace or hardness at the contest.

You also too often see him near the contest but not quite in it. Like he's scared to get in the way of the real senior players, so just hovers uselessly near them. A couple good spoils or "going when it's his turn to go" (as someone phrased it) does not make an AFL career.

I think I said in the game thread that he looked like he knew he didn't belong. Needs a huge dose of campaigner pills from here to turn into anything I fear - he should be looking in Scotty L's abandoned locker.

Ishmael_

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2013
Six Thousand
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
South Fremantle
Ya, I don't love the pile-on either, not necessarily here, but the Insta/FB nuffies.

But I just don't think he's up to it, not now anyway and not in a foreign position. He doesn't look to have the footy smarts to play forward or the safe (not necessarily elite) disposal needed to play outside of the contest.

I think Hutchings is the logical replacement when he's fit. I thought we might have moved past him at the beginning of the year, but we don't have another obvious option and now that we look to be making a real run at it, there's no room to be mucking about.

Hutchings brings experience, tidiness, running capacity and the ability to maintain laser focus. He also has the ability to tag, which is a handy in-game option.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back