Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Geelong

That because of his basketball background bruv

Ever noticed how it looks like he slows down the game and has more time than anyone else?

1596509020972.png

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
I watched it a couple of times and there was a cheeky little nod between both of them right before it happens. Also think the umpire must have been in on it because he put a magnificent block on Harry Taylor :p
That shows how clever JK is. He knew the umpire was backing out that way, so quickly darted around as umpire was moving backwards, meaning Taylor had to step around and lost contact with him.

Trouto

Premiership Player
Jul 3, 2007
Bunbury
AFL Club
West Coast
That shows how clever JK is. He knew the umpire was backing out that way, so quickly darted around as umpire was moving backwards, meaning Taylor had to step around and lost contact with him.
I love Simmo's comments in his presser - He almost was saying "they are not allowed to use that play, the forwards are supposed to stay clear of ball ups...but they did it right, this time".

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
Simmo said this on the NN2JK goal:
"We did ask for our forwards to stay away from stoppages in the forward-50 to create a bit more space...We saw that hit-out, so, maybe there was a bit more space there. It wasn't a coaching move, they organised it...We'll take it"
That’s what he thinks. This one has SMitch phoning in at 3/4 time to set the play all over it

Jiggyman

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Third quarter extras (clips start on page 7):

Darling handy as ruck in the F50
darling1.gif

Cole with a ripping tackle
cole1.gif

Allen and Yeo with a 1-2 handball on the turnover
allen1.gif

Kelly went too early, Duncan is switched-on, sharks the tap, feints Shuey and gets it to Danger.
Shows how sides can capitalise on our stoppages if we give up too much space.
duncan1.gif

Yeo dumps Blics
yeo1.gif

4th quarter tonight...

Last edited:

Ishmael_

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2013
Six Thousand
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
South Fremantle
Most everything has already been mentioned but my biggest positive out of this match was that we found another way to win. Geelong over the last few years has consistently taken our game off us and not allowed us to play our kicking style. At no point in this game did we appear to have the game played on our terms but we gutted it out, fought tooth and nail and won with contested hard football, finals football.

And my other big take away is that our big game players are back and in serious form. Nic Nat is imperious, Kennedy is clutch and our midfield guns of Yeo, Kelly and Shuey stood up. I also thought Hurn played his best game in a while. Not great, but he was largely solid and that's what you need when the pressure is up.

Jiggyman

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
4th quarter Nic & stoppage connection, part 2/2 (clips start on page 7):

nic7.gif

Tap to Ryan, deft hands for Kelly
nic8.gif

nic9.gif

nic10.gif

nic11.gif

I re-watched the game in two halves, only took a few hours to put these together. Happy to keep doing it as long as we play awesome footy!
Might focus on defenders next week, see how we go.

Last edited:

Luuuc

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats, Perth Lynx
Most everything has already been mentioned but my biggest positive out of this match was that we found another way to win. Geelong over the last few years has consistently taken our game off us and not allowed us to play our kicking style. At no point in this game did we appear to have the game played on our terms but we gutted it out, fought tooth and nail and won with contested hard football, finals football.
That was my favourite thing too.
Tactically, the Cats played a superb game, completely denying us the way we like to play. Lots of credit to Scott & the players for designing and executing it so well.
But we absorbed it, adjusted at half time, bought into what it would take to get the W, and stuck at it. That took a lot of energy and mental strength and we proved ourselves worthy of the challenge.
The Pies win was a really enjoyable party time game, but this one was even more rewarding for me.

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Sheed mentioned that he believe the JK/NN goal wasn't a set play, he reckons JK saw an opportunity and went for it...he joked that JK 'got lucky'...

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
That was my favourite thing too.
Tactically, the Cats played a superb game, completely denying us the way we like to play. Lots of credit to Scott & the players for designing and executing it so well.
But we absorbed it, adjusted at half time, bought into what it would take to get the W, and stuck at it. That took a lot of energy and mental strength and we proved ourselves worthy of the challenge.
The Pies win was a really enjoyable party time game, but this one was even more rewarding for me.
Completely agree, my thoughts also especially re the Cats and the coaching. Was also impressed with Scott at the presser, the way he handles himself, the way he talks, very level, mature. None of the old school histrionics and 'gruff toxic male coach' cliche stuff? A bit like Buckley now - do they attend 'Media presentation 101 for Coaches' classes?

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Third quarter extras (clips start on page 7):

Darling handy as ruck in the F50
View attachment 927282

Cole with a ripping tackle
View attachment 927281

Allen and Yeo with a 1-2 handball on the turnover
View attachment 927278

Kelly went too early, Duncan is switched-on, sharks the tap, feints Shuey and gets it to Danger.
Shows how sides can capitalise on our stoppages if we give up too much space.
View attachment 927283

Yeo dumps Blics
View attachment 927289

4th quarter tonight...
Darling has been stronger in ruck contests than marking contests of late, usually against players way bigger than the defenders that get put on him. He’s clearly hard to move off his line but for some reason he doesn’t take as many contested grabs as he should.

saying that, it’s a very effective way to use him in forward stoppages - he’s quite good at it

swingdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 3, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Darling has been stronger in ruck contests than marking contests of late, usually against players way bigger than the defenders that get put on him. He’s clearly hard to move off his line but for some reason he doesn’t take as many contested grabs as he should.

saying that, it’s a very effective way to use him in forward stoppages - he’s quite good at it

He's often up against the second ruck and, as you say, strong and hard to move off his line. Often seems to position himself well so he could throw it on his right foot towards goal if he can get a clean grab. That's probably always in the back of mind of the opposing ruck.

Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Back