Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Was there a lot of Docker merchandice wearing?
Or just the Big Freeze beanies?

(or was that the joke?)

Positives:
  • improved effort and intensity
  • visible effort to move the ball quickly
  • Hough, Jones, Bazzo, JK, Barrass and Rioli were good

Negatives:
  • couldn’t win a centre clearance with the big names in there - time for change
  • decision making really poor at times
  • still struggling to run both ways

Kinda lucky Geelong were in 3rd gear only

Positives:
  • Waterman completely nullified the influence of Stewart and still provided a good amount of impact offensively.
Negatives:
  • Duggan is a shell of the player he once promised to be - gave Stengle no respect and was punished accordingly. Just 4 of Geelong's 12 goals came from Hawkins/Cameron, our non-key defenders didn't really do much in the way of defending.
Bang on with most of it but these two points especially. Waterman would have had a good game for his job on Stewart alone (especially first half) that fact he managed to do so some damage himself made it a very good game.

Duggan on the other hand is just lost. I’m not one to bag players but he just doesn’t bring much of anything at the moment. No real weapons offensively and not reliable defensively anymore either.

JJ in the backline is a bit of a liability for me as well but at least he offers a point of difference. Him and Yeo hitting the ball at pace and moving it quickly makes the backline a lot less one dimensional even when the disposal isn’t perfect.

Watching JK live really drives home that he is playing on about 90% footy IQ and 10% muscle memory. His body looks shot to s**t between play but * me if he doesn’t put in when there is a chance to influence a contest. I’d happily see him playing home games only for the rest of the year but reckon he is providing a wealth of learning every time he is out there.

Cameron gave Bazzo a cheap shot in the throat off the play as well which seems to have gone unnoticed.

Lol, 99.9999% sure that would have been htb IF there wasnt a late high hit. Same as the way an in the back negates a htb
If the first free kick was paid as it should've been, there wouldn't have been a second tackle.

Was holding the ball every day of the week.

Completely different to "In the back" as that is an incorrect tackle.

Lol, 99.9999% sure that would have been htb IF there wasnt a late high hit. Same as the way an in the back negates a htb
You might cop some for that given you’re on an opposition board but I 100% agree.

The umpire saw Selwood run 10 metres, shape to kick, dummy, take on a tackle, spin 180 degrees in the tackle, land on all fours and put the football on the floor, and he thought “now hang on a minute, let’s just see if any other Eagles players get involved late here because if not that’s holding the ball”.

A wise decision, well made.

yeah i think what people are getting at, is that Selwood was given way too much time so the second Eagle came in and cocked it up.
Sometimes i think Selwood's neck has an arm-magnet on it...

Does it kind of piss you off we are showing more effort now from senior players after the seasons already over and screwed.

Typical waste the whole year being pathetic and come out the last few rounds of the season and play good footy while we lose a few spots in the draft order.

Nothing shits me more then this. If we just start winning a few pointless games now it just going to hold us back getting a superstar draft pick. Seasons already over and our senior players are to blame for it. There is nothing the senior group can do now that will impress me. I'm still pissed they came out of preseason the way they did. The only thing I look forward too is seeing the youth play. I actually don't want to see the senior players back in. It's boring to watch them and is too late for that now.

Sent from my CPH2025 using Tapatalk

Does it kind of piss you off we are showing more effort now from senior players after the seasons already over and screwed.

Typical waste the whole year being pathetic and come out the last few rounds of the season and play good footy while we lose a few spots in the draft order.

Nothing shits me more then this. If we just start winning a few pointless games now it just going to hold us back getting a superstar draft pick. Seasons already over and our senior players are to blame for it. There is nothing the senior group can do now that will impress me. I'm still pissed they came out of preseason the way they did. The only thing I look forward too is seeing the youth play. I actually don't want to see the senior players back in. It's boring to watch them and is too late for that now.

Don't underestimate the effect COVID and injury had to start the season. Losing multiple players each week, lags with them being ready to play and the team slowly losing form. I thought we played pretty well (given the lack of talent) for rnds 1 and 2, but the wheels came off big time when Sydney ripped us a new one.

It makes sense that having a much smaller injury list and fit personnel had lead to a better performance.

Lets make a pretty safe assumption that Adelaide, GWS and the Hawks will win at least one more game for the year. With our % to get any higher than 16th we'd have to win 5 of our remaining 9 games. I don't think that's going to happen and if it does we still probably aren't finishing higher than 15h as im pretty sure at least 2 of the 3 will win 2 or more games during the rest of the year.

Tanking is never the right option.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would like to think (dream) that the senior players have lifted a bit because they know, beyond this season, that credits in the bank will no longer apply and weekly selection will no longer be guaranteed

Although thats probably optimism to the point of delusion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back