Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Negatives -

• Gov injury again.
  • Beaten in the ruck they got first use. Goes to show how big of a loss Nic Nat is.
  • Lacking polish needed to finish transition plays at times.
  • Killed on the switch at times.
  • Nelson lacking class.
  • Who on Earth was on Stengle? If Jones was his opponent and it's no wonder why Stengle got off the chain due to being non existent in marking a man.
  • Clark just seems to have regressed maybe more WAFL time for him. Just didn't look right.

Meh =

=
Shuey and Redden looking decent.
= Jones attack from half back just needs to fix some of his kicks on the run and be more accountable.
= Rioli all over the spectrum from good to bad.
= Doctors Orders Darling providing a contest and worked hard.
= Waterman was decent but felt could do more. Nice two goals though.
= Petch although he did have some shots at goal, he just doesn't work hard enough defensively.

Positives +

• Yeo off half back providing run and using his penetrating kicks well.
  • JK still kicking goals. Done well against a dun KPD in De Konning.
  • Barrass done well against Hawkins and took nice intercept marks.
  • Hurn taking intercept marks and showing he still got it.
  • Bazzo looking good on debut.
  • Much better effort than previous weeks.
  • Hough will be an A grader in future just looks natural.

Final thoughts.

Better effort than in previous weeks. Cats are a top 4 side and as a bottom side we done really well against them. Jones for me is good at running rebounding in this match but his kicks on the run have been costly at times and he's defensively (marking a man) is non existent. Nice to see Yeo back in the side playing halfback and taking the kick ins. JK still good for that odd goal or two.

Don't underestimate the Dons next week, they've played well against the Saints and they've looked much better previously than us during their s**t form this year (yep we were that bad).

With that effort, get a couple more soldiers back (NN+Ryan) with TK and Gov (might be out for a while?) and we could win one or two up ahead.
That was almost winnable, a top 4 side, impressive, just those dumb decisions and lack of skills and finish.
We still haven't got the hang of run+gun, often start handballing forward, then sideways, then back, then forward 2m ahead of where we started - fitness, smarts or connectivity?
There's a famous quote..converted.. 'Footy's tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid'
Not saying Eagles are stupid, just lack footy smarts, at this stage...(probably dovetails into all that connectivity+continuity talk)
Is it just me, or is Gaff like our invisible player, he flies under the radar, he's there all game, but you hardly notice him, he has no impact apart from a rare goal, yet he's called an elite player because he runs all day. He's a conveyor belt, a stat conduit, the non damaging link up man...which is still better than being the floppy-doll inside mid!? I dunno, is he something of nothing, on a big salary?
But on a positive " It's the little wins" - Simmo.

Last edited:
Negatives -

• Gov injury again.
  • Beaten in the ruck they got first use. Goes to show how big of a loss Nic Nat is.
  • Lacking polish needed to finish transition plays at times.
  • Killed on the switch at times.
  • Nelson lacking class.
  • Who on Earth was on Stengle? If Jones was his opponent and it's no wonder why Stengle got off the chain due to being non existent in marking a man.
  • Clark just seems to have regressed maybe more WAFL time for him. Just didn't look right.

Meh =

=
Shuey and Redden looking decent.
= Jones attack from half back just needs to fix some of his kicks on the run and be more accountable.
= Rioli all over the spectrum from good to bad.
= Doctors Orders Darling providing a contest and worked hard.
= Waterman was decent but felt could do more. Nice two goals though.
= Petch although he did have some shots at goal, he just doesn't work hard enough defensively.

Positives +

• Yeo off half back providing run and using his penetrating kicks well.
  • JK still kicking goals. Done well against a dun KPD in De Konning.
  • Barrass done well against Hawkins and took nice intercept marks.
  • Hurn taking intercept marks and showing he still got it.
  • Bazzo looking good on debut.
  • Much better effort than previous weeks.
  • Hough will be an A grader in future just looks natural.

Final thoughts.

Better effort than in previous weeks. Cats are a top 4 side and as a bottom side we done really well against them. Jones for me is good at running rebounding in this match but his kicks on the run have been costly at times and he's defensively (marking a man) is non existent. Nice to see Yeo back in the side playing halfback and taking the kick ins. JK still good for that odd goal or two.

Don't underestimate the Dons next week, they've played well against the Saints and they've looked much better previously than us during their s**t form this year (yep we were that bad).
Good summary.
Just on your last paragraph, if there is one thing WC is not doing this year it is underestimating other teams.

Big bad boofhead Bailey Williams is never going to make it

He has the physical tools, but none of the brain power or physical application

Time after time going up one handed for marks, half assed jogging to, rather then attacking contests, mistiming leap after leap.

Its like he was Vardys understudy and learned all of his spud qualities and absolutely nothing of benefit

Good combative effort from a team that is rebuilding. Sad for Gov. In the end too many players (who work hard etc) lack the talent required for them to be collectively part of a successful team. Great team mates they may be and not complete failures as expected. I guess thats why you rebuild. Talent in my mind observables like skills, endurance, pace, agility, strength etc but the intangibles like competitive will and an innate sense of the game and awareness of other players. To that end a loss is a loss, just a reminder ou the journey ahead.

To improve we need to replace players with better ability, some can be developed but I think much isn't. A returning Yoe is an example of talent - just does it right and makes the right decisions. Hough, Basso and Jammo just show there is more to follow while many much more experienced players look like they are at their limit.

Last edited:
If we play like that against Essendon next week we'll win by a few goals.

TBH the cats are really still the only team that holds more of a zone whilst doing it successfully. Other teams would have really carved us up.

Positives:
Yeo to HB. I think he should stay there particularly with Gov now out injured.
Kennedy. Tried his arse off and if the footy gods were a little kinder could have had 4-5 goals.
Redden. Every single week is almost carrying the midfield himself.
Barrass. Was immense in holding up the back six.
Cripps. Tried his guts out, immense effort forward and back to go with his goals.
Waterman. Great result in regards to goals but it was his gut running that impressed me most.
Team effort, tackling, intent and pressure.

Negatives:
I was watching on a 10 inch tablet.
Gov's injury.
As a team we were still comfortably beaten in the important stats outside of tackles.
Our ruck department just isn't competent enough for any midfield to succeed.
We are still getting too many players sucked into the ball leaving open options for the opposition. Luckily for us Geelong didn't capitalise anywhere near as much as they should have.
Who the * was on stengle.
Jones showing us exactly the type of player we need running from half back but also why for all the effort he's just not quite there. Disposal is just not up to scratch.
Nelson. Gave us nothing really and if he or jones were the one on stengle i'd delist them on the spot. 6 disposals with 4 of those coming from marks.
We had 3 players out with illness between WAFL and AFL. Not Covid so WTF happened there.

Hough actually reminds me a little of Duggan in his first year. Hopefully he doesn’t follow the same trajectory.

What a difference having the majority of your best 22 makes. We’re still not anywhere near the top 8 but anyone thinking we have the 18th best list (by a considerable margin) is having a laugh. These are the same blokes that won a flag 4 years ago and have made finals for the last decade, they don’t forget how to play next to each other. The gameplan actually showed signs of evolving, no surprise it actually took fully fit AAs to be playing to see improvement and not 1st year players and top ups.

Unfortunately that means potentially worst case long term scenario. We’ve seen that the older blokes still have enough quality, but probably only to be a middling side, not really to challenge again.

So no doubt we will notch up a few nothing games towards the end of the year with no extended games into youth and end up 12th or 13th for another wasted year. No proper bottom out and no flag challenge

(Log in to remove this ad.)

+ Awesome to see a direct and attacking style from the backline, Yeo and Jones need to stay there for awhile in lieu of Witherden. WC used to launch so many attacks from HB and it would be great to bring this style/identity back to the side again.

+ Backline was pretty effective in shutting down their gun forwards. Barrass immense.

+ Midfield seemed to break pretty even with clearances. Nice to have Sheed back his tackling, pressure was a vast improvement from his last appearance in the blue and gold. Redden solid as always

+ Waterman played one his best 4 quarter games.

+ So good to see the boys playing with hope and intent again. Hopefully will snag a couple of wins this season, f*ck tanking. It'll be better for development of the younger guys.

+ Good to see some passion in the box by Simmo again.

- We really needed a pacy crumber.

- Frustrating in the last 10 minutes there were so many non calls for WC, and contentious frees for Geelong. Just enough to put the game out of reach, even. Though Geelong probably would have found a way regardless.

What was Nelsons role today? Did he do a shut-down job on Tom Stewart?

I think we did ok today. With so many coming back into the team and no continuity, we shouldve been flogged by Geelong today. We may actually win some games going forward. As long as we dont get injuries like Mcgovern every week.

Negative - Way too many people wearing Freo s**t in the crowd.
I noticed that at the game, really strange. I went to a Freo game the other week, but I didn't wear Eagles gear as my team wasn't paying. Maybe it was a statement about only going because it was a bye.

For awhile on 2019 and 2020 Duggan was causing a few players to hear footsteps, was turning into a seriously combatative player.

He's regressing terribly now but surely its just confidence.
He was absolutely awful today. Decision making and disposal lead to multiple turn overs coming out of defence.

If his knee is still giving him grief, then time to put him on ice. If not, put him on notice to improve or find himself out of the team.

We had 3 players out with illness between WAFL and AFL. Not Covid so WTF happened there.
There is a lot of old school flu around at the moment - I suspect that.

He was absolutely awful today. Decision making and disposal lead to multiple turn overs coming out of defence.

If his knee is still giving him grief, then time to put him on ice. If not, put him on notice to improve or find himself out of the team.
100% I think he's been leapfrogged by Hough now, needs a run in the seconds for awhile.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back