Review Positives and Negatives vs Gold Coast (R4 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City
+ Young looks exceptional.

+ Serong gives me a good feeling.

+ Disposal efficiency is up.

+ Hogan had a much better game.

- Second quarter fade out

- Inability to score in the last when we were going forward. 0.1 is a terrible return, even without Fyfe.

- Our work on centre-bounces is trash.

Last edited:

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club

- Inability to score in the last when we were going forward. 0.1 is a terrible return, even without Fyfe.

Yeah. Took too long to tighten up in the middle, just scrap it out more instead of leaking like a sieve for two quarters. The players shouldn't have needed to be told that. We clearly weren't winning the taps.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
The positive was an obvious one - Young. What a game from the youngster (pardon the pun).
Tabs was good for 3 quarters too. Best game he’s played for a long while imo.
And, that’s it for positives.

Negatives were the disappointing performances, particularly from our more experienced players in Colyer, Matera, Lobb and Conca. A half decent game from even half them and we win.
And Another ******* injury! And to our Captain, best player and leader!

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
Positives.
Logue
Hughes- if only his kicking was more consistent
Young- is going to be sublime.
Taberner- 2nd pretty good game
Serong- showed more instinct as a midfielder in one game than Tucker has shown in 5 years. Tucker does work hard though. just too slow in the head
Cerra was pretty good on the wing and half back

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City
Fair enough. I can't see any players coming back from injury who would push him out bar Fyfe. Maybe Acres but there are a few in line to go IMO before him

I'd like to keep Serong. We're rebuiliding and 0-4, so I'm happy to give him the experience unless he's truly having mares and would genuinely be better served playing seconds.

+

Young was very good in patches and Serong showed a few good signs. I liked his intensity. Hogan looked so much better in dryer conditions and moved well. His field kicking was sublime when hitting up a target. Tabs hands leading up were great. His contested marking could have been better though. Logue was the best of our backs IMO. He got caught out of position a couple of times but I thought he was pretty good overall considering he was pretty much our only tall down back. Hilly early was very good but faded when the rest of the team did. Goal kicking in the first half goes without saying.

-

Just about everything else. I don't see how anyone can justify giving Colyer and Conca game time. I like Schultz and Bewley more than most on here but I am nearing the point of chucking them in this group. When Sturt is fit, Matera can go in that group too. Surely the likes of Valente, Crowden, Monaro etc. could do just as much if given a run. Hughes seems to have gone backward. He can at times be weak in the contest and his skills aren't great. It shits me because he has the perfect body to play AFL but he just seems to not have the heart and desire to succeed. The forward structure was deplorable at times. I mentioned it at half time but you can't be having Tabs lead up and mark the ball defensive side of the center and then pass to Hogan 60-70m out from goal. One of them needs to be forward to get onto the end of the next pass. It is okay if Lobb is down there as well but while he is the sole ruckman, we can't afford to have him playing forward. When things start going wrong, they go really wrong. I don't know if the players are lazy or we have a team of downhill skiers, but nobody other than Fyfe looks to stand up and grab the game by the short and curlies. Skills and decision making just go out the window. 3 times in the space of probably 2 minutes Schultz turned the ball over coming out of the backline trying to come inboard and just putting too much on his kick. 1 bad quarter costing us again. It is seriously infuriating that 1 bad quarter of football in each game is the difference between being 4-0 or 3-1 at worst.

StingBitten

The Midland Steal
May 31, 2012
Bayswater
AFL Club
Fremantle

+ Hogan had a much better game.

Thanks for this. For some reason this year it's straight to the changes thread or venting venom on the game day thread.

Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
+
Logue
Young, particularly his 1st Q
Aish good in parts
Hughes
Hogan looked better
1st game back for Hill was OK, and he got through a whole game which was nice to see.

-
Fyfe's injury
Turned over the ball for too easily, particularly under limited pressure. Just poor choices.
Some genuine questions around if Bewley and Colyer are AFL standard.
Matera and Wilson really struggled to have any impact at all.
Not enough class forward of the ball*
Painfully obvious we needed another tall defender
Couldn't lock the ball inside 50 - too many easy options out of trouble.

*Just didn't have the confidence to go forward in the last quarter. Probably need to look at parking Walters and Lobb down there for much longer (give Meek/Darcy a run) - we should also get Sturt back in a couple of weeks. Not sure how far off Henry is but hopefully not long and (hopefully) Cam McCarthy is right to go soon. We're just not a very frightening forward line at the present.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Rather feeling negative.

1. Best 4 young players were in the Suns team.
2. Our positives of the last few years ie Brayshaw,Tucker, and Cerra were show up by Rowell and Anderson.
3. Injuries list continues to bite with no signs of getting better.
4. We are getting killed in the centre breaks. Our spread is slow, losing the ruck, and no outside speed.
5. Seems like we will be playing the bad teams away and good teams at home. Not a great combination for wins and loses.

Thistle

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chelsea, ICT, Glory
+ We're competitive. 0-4 is a harsh reflection of where we are at
+ Young looked like everything we hoped for
+ Logue was terrific. If we can keep him Pearce and Hambling on the park we have one of the best defences going around.
+ Hogan. Unfortunately can't buy a goal at the moment but looks hungry and is probably the best field kick in our side.

- Too many targets missed and poor decisions made that cost us heavily
- Our bottom six has to be close to worst in the league
- Brayshaw can't be right. He's not attending centre bounces where he excelled preseason and is spending a fair bit of the time on the bench for someone with his tank. Also wonder if shorter quarters are limiting his impact in the last term.
- Most concerning was the lack of leadership when Fyfe went off. Last quarter felt like there was no onfield direction and everyone was waiting for someone else to lift the team and do something fyfe-like to get us back in the game.

Yeti

Premiership Player
Feb 17, 2012
Newcastle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Positives

- Serong has some real mongrel in him
- Young really worked into it after a couple of dropped marks. His field kicking looks great.
- Hogan looked great with his general field kicking. One of his kicks I50 was a spear, I nearly spat my beer. Our players rarely kick it flat I50 like that!
- Accurate goal kicking for most of the game.
- It was really nice to see Fyfe resting I50 and other players given an opportunity at centre bounces.
- Logue was good

Negatives
- Lobb mostered in the ruck again
- Schultz first goal looked good when you see Hogan mark and kick to Taberner who then kicks to Schulz.... but we had no one over 180cm in the forward line.
- Forward line setup wasn't great.
- Conca stunk, again.
- Wilson stunk.
- Colyer adds nothing. Whoever gave him a 3 year deal should be sacked.
- Injuries.

Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
Positives

Defence did well.
Delivery to forwards was good in patches.
Serong looks good.

Negatives

I thought Taberner was out marked too easily in a contest but was good on the lead.
Fyfe injured.
Not many outside runners or small forwards pushing for selection.
Matera has no impact.

Mar 18, 2012
Vic
AFL Club
Fremantle
Young was fantastic. Tick on that recruitment. He has A-Grade reading of the play and awareness. Courageous in the air and an excellent kick. Finally, a top 10 pick whose talents are clearly there and will translate to the top level. Plays a lot like Nick Haynes and is showing he could marshall a backline.

Serong I think will be A-Grade too, here’s why - he had 2 nice touches early but then couldn’t get involved again until half time. Remember seeing his Fantasy score of 10 at the half, thinking OK he hasn’t adjusted to the level but he’s a debutant.
He finished with 60 after a massive second half. You could see him adapting to the speed and improving as the game wore on. He made mistakes but he kept diving back in and getting involved and some of his last touches were clean and impactful. There’s something about him. People have mentioned Neale, but I’m wondering if he could be more explosive mid/fwd like De Goey/Zurhaar.
But it looks like another tick to me and think he could have a rising star quality game as early as next week.

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Rather feeling negative.

1. Best 4 young players were in the Suns team.
2. Our positives of the last few years ie Brayshaw,Tucker, and Cerra were show up by Rowell and Anderson.
3. Injuries list continues to bite with no signs of getting better.
4. We are getting killed in the centre breaks. Our spread is slow, losing the ruck, and no outside speed.
5. Seems like we will be playing the bad teams away and good teams at home. Not a great combination for wins and loses.
Yeah losing the close games sucks, but this year was always going to be a learning curve, and let's hope JLo
understands what needs fixing on and off the field.
It was always going to be a difficult task, no WAFL form injuries and an unbalanced list, away games.
He hasn't done too bad, considering he has had little input into the list.
The kids are a huge positive, Logue and Cox punching above their weight.
Fingers crossed we are Brisbane 2018, and we can fast track more players that are ready for the challenge.
Negatives, forward line, midfield accountability, ruck.
Our mature players are depth only, break glass in emergency. Guys like Deboer, Crozier, Collins, discarded?
All the hype on GC kids, and deserved, but Sturt, Young, Serong?
Excited for Valente, Henry now, character, leadership, we have a good batch in the wings.

Beak_A

All Australian
Dec 11, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
The teams Freo have played so far sit at 1,2,5 and 6 on the ladder with Brisvegas playing the Crows today and the Bombers only having played 3 games in spots 5 and 6

Been competitive in all those games and had chances to win in three of them and didn’t get blown away by Port like the weegs did.

It’s clear a lot still needs fixing and what is the right balance of youth and game experience is the big question. I feel like Freo is edging forward tho and think we’ll get on the board against the Crows

Official Buddy of The Cam 2020

SiempreFreo

All Australian
Sep 29, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Positives

- Young really worked into it after a couple of dropped marks. His field kicking looks great.
- Hogan looked great with his general field kicking. One of his kicks I50 was a spear, I nearly spat my beer. Our players rarely kick it flat I50 like that!
- It was really nice to see Fyfe resting I50 and other players given an opportunity at centre bounces.
- Logue was good

Negatives
- Schultz first goal looked good when you see Hogan mark and kick to Taberner who then kicks to Schulz.... but we had no one over 180cm in the forward line.
- Conca stunk, again.
- Wilson stunk.
- Injuries.
Yeti, re beautiful flat
Positives

- Logue was good

Negatives
- Conca stunk, again.
- Wilson stunk.
- Injuries.
Re flat field kicks, to give Bewley his due (and he frustrates the hell out of me 'cos he seems to promise way more than he delivers) he's very good in that department. Currently our best I reckon. If only he could tackle/back up his teammates in a stoush/show hunger to be off and active with the ball. Way too reactive for mine and yet there's that beautiful kick....sigh

Remove this Banner Ad

Back