Review Positives and Negatives vs Gold Coast (R4 2020)

Freoforever86

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hmmm, very early days but not much to get excited about. We need to give him a run at it for another two weeks and see if he improves.

wat? He needs to play every game going forward. No point in dropping him, literally none.

our 3 picks last year need to play all the games they can this season (obv Henry when fit).

Of course he will improve, he’s a 1st gamer. went as hard as any Freo player and was in the thick of the brawl which I loved.

you say not much to get excited about, I say there’s plenty.

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
wat? He needs to play every game going forward. No point in dropping him, literally none.

our 3 picks last year need to play all the games they can this season (obv Henry when fit).

Of course he will improve, he’s a 1st gamer. went as hard as any Freo player and was in the thick of the brawl which I loved.

you say not much to get excited about, I say there’s plenty.
Agreed. There was one moment in the 4th quarter that showed his elite ability - a lightning fast handball while being tackled in the middle of the ground to continue a possession chain that resulted in an I50. His hands were so quick you could barely see the movement but it was top top quality. He won’t die wondering out there either. Will be a very good AFL player.

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
A lot to like I thought.
Every team we've played has been in great form and our best is matching it.
Just need to get the deadwood out of the team - Shultz, Bewley, Colyer particularly.
We've got Darcy, McCarthy, Sturt, Henry, Pearce, Hamling, Blakely on the pine plus some maybe's like Pina, Frederick, Watson.
Plenty of upside, I really like the spirit in the group.

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
Yeah losing the close games sucks, but this year was always going to be a learning curve, and let's hope JLo
understands what needs fixing on and off the field.
It was always going to be a difficult task, no WAFL form injuries and an unbalanced list, away games.
He hasn't done too bad, considering he has had little input into the list.
The kids are a huge positive, Logue and Cox punching above their weight.
Fingers crossed we are Brisbane 2018, and we can fast track more players that are ready for the challenge.
Negatives, forward line, midfield accountability, ruck.
Our mature players are depth only, break glass in emergency. Guys like Deboer, Crozier, Collins, discarded?
All the hype on GC kids, and deserved, but Sturt, Young, Serong?
Excited for Valente, Henry now, character, leadership, we have a good batch in the wings.
And Fredericks by the sounds of it.

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
Agreed. There was one moment in the 4th quarter that showed his elite ability - a lightning fast handball while being tackled in the middle of the ground to continue a possession chain that resulted in an I50. His hands were so quick you could barely see the movement but it was top top quality. He won’t die wondering out there either. Will be a very good AFL player.
Yes . It was outstanding. As was his long forward handball to a player running towards an open 50.

TheMcManusNose

Premiership Player
Apr 21, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks
What on earth is going on with Brayshaw.

If he's not in the middle for most of the game he probably shouldn't be in the side. Whether that's injury or whatever Jlo is doing with him. After a lot of promising improvement last year nothing is happening this year. If he's not fit then play Blakely/Valente instead.

Cerra looking a bit more desperate this year which is good.

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club

If he's not in the middle for most of the game he probably shouldn't be in the side. Whether that's injury or whatever Jlo is doing with him. After a lot of promising improvement last year nothing is happening this year. If he's not fit then play Blakely/Valente instead.

I thought at some point he was playing defensive forward.

poshman

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 13, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

it is a waste and not good for him or the team. He has picked something up and seems to be being managed through. There ia no point managing him if he can’t play in the middle. Bring valente in or north or anyone who can be rotated through centre bounces.

I still think from what we saw last year and in the preseason that he will be an A grader. But he is barely out there and when he is on the field he isn’t playing mid. Baffling.

On the cuts - no more chances side of things:

Shultz and Colyer. I never want to see their extremely limited selves again. I would rather see rookies elevated and play. Anything. Bring in butters or someone but not these two.

Matera is almost in that boat. Unfit and unsighted for most of the game consistently.

——-

in the what the hell happened to him basket - Wilson. He has been shite just absolute steaming shite. At his age and experience, combined with skill set he should be a damaging and influential player. He has only damaged us so far. Absolute garbage. If he is injured, he isn’t someone who can play through it. Replace and bring back when fit.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle

Great to hear! I obviously missed the moments or maybe I was too busy gushing over Young, but I trust your view on him. It’ll be him and Young and Henry that keep me totally interested going forward. I love it.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
surely you're taking the piss,i thought very encouraging hitout-first game and all

No, just calling it as I saw it. But don’t get me wrong, I didn’t think he was bad or did anything in particular wrong, just didn’t notice anything that said wow. But understand that it was his first game and he’ll improve for sure. I liked him in the draft and some might remember that I was criticised when I took him at 4 in our phantom draft when picking for Melb after bidding on Tom Greene.

nurries

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2003
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo
The teams Freo have played so far sit at 1,2,5 and 6 on the ladder with Brisvegas playing the Crows today and the Bombers only having played 3 games in spots 5 and 6

Been competitive in all those games and had chances to win in three of them and didn’t get blown away by Port like the weegs did.

It’s clear a lot still needs fixing and what is the right balance of youth and game experience is the big question. I feel like Freo is edging forward tho and think we’ll get on the board against the Crows

Official Buddy of The Cam 2020
What position would those teams be in if we had beaten them?

Just saying

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
Just watching the game again.

The first quarter was excellent...bar the center square and stoppage work.

and a lot of that sits with Lobb and Fyfe.
fyfe got pushed under the ball a lot. He was playing too close to Lobb and greenwood and Miller just bodied him under the ball from behind letting them out the back. Was noticable the one clearance we got in the center had Serong Tucker Mundy and Taberner.

Young was outstanding but so too was Taberner, Hogan was great. we need one more tall to play deep forward

StingBitten

The Midland Steal
May 31, 2012
Bayswater
AFL Club
Fremantle
A lot to like I thought.
Every team we've played has been in great form and our best is matching it.
Just need to get the deadwood out of the team - Shultz, Bewley, Colyer particularly.
We've got Darcy, McCarthy, Sturt, Henry, Pearce, Hamling, Blakely on the pine plus some maybe's like Pina, Frederick, Watson.
Plenty of upside, I really like the spirit in the group.

I like that you're glass half-full. I was bitterly disappointed to be 0-4 last night, but not in a 'this club is a total rabble' mentality which has pervaded my mindset the last 4 seasons. The disappointment stems from the idea we could be sitting in the top 8.

There are some slightly perceptible differences in our playing style thus far although they're difficult to establish.

Some people have been suggesting it's better to get pumped and then pull off surprise wins ala Lyon-era the last 4 years. What arrant nonsense, the long-term aim is to form a game plan and collective skill set that turns us into an elite football team. We've got enough potential in and around the team that with continued exposure, could shape into that very thing. If that means losing every game by a few kicks while the team gains cohesion and experience then I'm pleased with that. This is an asterisk year - I'm desperate for finals footy but we may need to be more patient.

The reality is though we've got to move on from some older types that don't have the ability to perform at the level required for an elite team - that would at least be Colyer, Bewley and Matera are all 25+ and have very limited scope. Matera could be given the benefit of the doubt as he played very well across most of last year, plus being a forward in Freo = ducky. He'd be a handy player in a top-tier team though.

I hope we can eke our 4-6 wins in a covid year, and use our draft picks to bring in some reliable, elite mature talent.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
I hope we can eke our 4-6 wins in a covid year, and use our draft picks to bring in some reliable, elite mature talent.
Everyone wants elite mature talent. You have to convince someone they want to come and their club to let them go.

I wouldn't be getting attached to the idea. Be lucky if 1-2 elite players move clubs per season in the whole AFL each year.

Back