Review Positives and Negatives vs Gold Coast (R4 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sometimes we need to sit back on our grassy knoll, and put things in perspective.

We were playing Gold Coast, the latest AFL flavour of the month, on their own dung heap. They are in good form, and we pushed them to the line. They had lots of good players, some think we had duds. If we pushed them so close with a bunch of duds, that says to be that there is a good upside.

Happy with :-

Hogan - getting into stride.

Tabs - solid grabs, slowly working on his links with Hogan.

Young - composure and good kick placement.

Hill - solid early, but faded. First game back, so ok.

Logue - still learning, will be a ripper third back, but doing what is asked of him.

Not happy with :-

Small Forwards - ever heard of crumbing to the falls !!!!.

Midfield - insipid, take the game on.

Everyone wants elite mature talent. You have to convince someone they want to come and their club to let them go.

I wouldn't be getting attached to the idea. Be lucky if 1-2 elite players move clubs per season in the whole AFL each year.

Well then draft more top 10 picks. Eventually we're bound to get it right?

One major positive I felt was the back 6.

50 inside 50’s to 31 & we were in the game until the end. Midfield were getting soundly beaten & our backline missing our 2 most important defenders along with Cox & an underdone Hill & Wilson were so desperate all night & would have slept well.

Positives
Emerging Hayden Young.
That first quarter passage of play was all his. Turnover, grabs the ball off the ground whilst under pressure, didn’t fumble hand ball to team mate then asks for receive and calming slots the kick beautifully on the chest of Walters. Even SonSon was shocked at the kick.

Serong.
Only first game, but lots to like. Has grunt, love his willingness to get into the melee at half time.

Tabs/ Hogan link up
Albeit only for a half or so, but these two link up and willingness to lead to each other will be fun to watch.

Hughes
Not sure what others are on his back for, but he was back to his best. Marked well, got involved in plays. He’s not the best decision making but there’s more then enough players down back that is responsible for this. Wilson didnt do anything, Ryan is MIA some games and Hill was quiet after first quarter. Hughes was the only consistent half back.

Hill is Back
Was great to see him back. His calmness and ability to weave through traffic is sorely missed. His time on ground will grow.

Negatives

State League Level of Players
This team can’t keep dragging along substandard players with limited disposal and decision making. Colyer cost momentum numerous times, so did Schulz with his awful field kicking through the corridor.

Brayshaw- what a shocker. He hasn’t responded well to the hub. Not involved enough in games.

One Quarter of madness costing the whole game
Again, a solid first quarter that has us in the lead. Only then the midfield capitulates and Gold Coast kicks 4-5 in a row and suddenly we’re behind by 3 goals. Inexcusable. The centre clearances and stoppages were shocking. Destroyed for speed and cleanness. Luckily steadied before half time but never got the lead back. The last quarter was a joke. No urgency nor desire to get back in the game. Only loss by 14, but felt after Suns kicked two goals, the players gave up. 0.1 for a last quarter is horrendous .

Another positive is the defence doing everything to stop Gold Coast from scoring. kept them at bay, Logue battled hard all game, Ryan was ferocious, Hill and Hughes tackled. Young was going for every intercept mark. They were doing their job and more.
The midfield was so poor then we could’ve loss by more.

Positive
Young- really really good
Tabs - 2nd good game
Bewley - good
Logue - excellent
Serong - ok debut

Negatives
Brayshaw - seems to have stalled a bit this year
Ruck- Lobb is not a ruck, we are getting monstered at stoppages because we can't even break even on hit outs to advantage.
Conca - poor game
Mids - generally poor game, probs linked to ruck issues.

Conca is skating on thin ice now. He’s a liability with ball in hand down back. Should either play in the midfield or else not at all.
He's a very good run-with player. Should have tried him on Rowell when he was carving us up.

He panics when too deep and let's players get goal-side too easy. For an experienced player, he should know better.

I cannot understand the positivity here. Our first quarter was excellent? Our defence did everything to stop Gold Coast scoring?
We've played more competitively than the team than won a flag 2 years ago so far?

What are you all on about? We were beaten soundly. AGAIN.

Excellent in my book looks like a 28 to 0 first quarter, not a quarter where we win by a goal followed by a quarter where we lose by 3.

At 0-4 this season is already a write-off. Especially considering its only 17 rounds.

looking forward to the draft already...

What position would those teams be in if we had beaten them?

Just saying

It’s a fair question

The maths tells me they’d be lower on the ladder

My gut instinct tells me that this board would be on the slightly positive side of we have a long way to go

Rather than being on the negative side of we have a long way to go

Either way I think we still have a long way to go

But we’re shuffling forward

Official Buddy of The Cam 2020

I cannot understand the positivity here. Our first quarter was excellent? Our defence did everything to stop Gold Coast scoring?
We've played more competitively than the team than won a flag 2 years ago so far?

What are you all on about? We were beaten soundly. AGAIN.

Excellent in my book looks like a 28 to 0 first quarter, not a quarter where we win by a goal followed by a quarter where we lose by 3.

At 0-4 this season is already a write-off. Especially considering its only 17 rounds.

looking forward to the draft already...

I don’t remember you whining this much last time Wig 😬

I tend to look more at method etc when I’m re-watching the game. Ball movement was good, the forwards linked well, Young was outstanding and we got belted in the clearances. Until we can address that we’re in all sorts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t remember you whining this much last time Wig 😬

I tend to look more at method etc when I’m re-watching the game. Ball movement was good, the forwards linked well, Young was outstanding and we got belted in the clearances. Until we can address that we’re in all sorts.
Got humiliated in the middle. Couldn’t win a tackle nor tap. Darcy at least battled for us, regardless if he couldn’t jump. Lobb is just getting manhandled. Too easy for Witt, Lycett.
We can bring out any of the small plodders and add in Darcy or Meek. Not going to sacrifice much.
Midfield are so used to Sandi wining taps that they set up offensively. Huge no.

Got humiliated in the middle. Couldn’t win a tackle nor tap. Darcy at least battled for us, regardless if he couldn’t jump. Lobb is just getting manhandled. Too easy for Witt, Lycett.
We can bring out any of the small plodders and add in Darcy or Meek. Not going to sacrifice much.
Midfield are so used to Sandi wining taps that they set up offensively. Huge no.

yeah. Lobb is getting pantsed. A ruck means he can play FF.

Hoges and Tabs can then roam a bit and we have a target. matera’s best times are as a rover to the tall forwards. We’ve been playing so far up the ground because the ball keeps going one way...we only had 31 inside 50’s to 50 odd...the forward line keeps pushing up to help and we lose structure.

if we can start winning in the middle we’re not under so much pressure, the forwards can play deep...

Exactly.

View attachment 901854

Pretty much our forward line delivery yesterday
Loved this. This is what is wrong with the team. Too scared to keep eyes low and look for the shorter kick. Ross Lyon-esques. JLo wants shorter kicks to leads. It what West Coast and Collingwood do so well, and he was apart of those teams.

Fyfe didn't look happy , maybe even disinterested?
A rest for a few weeks could be just what he needs.
Fresh for the derby.
The attention he gets from opposition plus umpires (Dean M..) not caring. He’s frustrated more then anything. Plus he’s Freo atm. No one is going with him, or carrying the team with him.

Not a good look. He won’t want that shown to him but it will be.
He meaning Hughes? I hope they use it of an example of lowering the freaking eyes. Hogan is right here. Players doing the dumb and ways option of going to the goal square.. and every defence knows that from Freo, it’s so easy to defend.
We need passion, accountability. Hope they show that to Hughes, the midfield of not butchering chances I50.

On Fyfe, I think he’s not sure how he should go about it. He was given free reign in previous years & wins 2 Brownlows, this year he comes out & says he’s going to play smarter?

So far his clearance numbers are well down & his defensive qualities have been questioned. Yesterday I think he went in with the thought of being more accountable around the stoppages, but he got taken to the wrong areas or pushed under ball.

I would rather have him in, but this break gives him the opportunity to sit down with Jlo & the midfield coaches & get clarity on exactly what his role is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back