Review Positives and Negatives vs Gold Coast (R4 2020)

Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Districts Vancouver Canucks
I think it went to Matera who got a lucky head high free, and slotted the goal.
No it didn't. It was a spilled mark and it would've hit Jesse on the tit if he'd turned around been prepred to crumb off the pack. Instead he wasted time whinging.

The ball landed "front and centre"

Yes, the ball should've gone to him, but if he'd kept playing he may have scored.

Daddoo

Master Chef
Oct 31, 2015
Chicago
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers Milwaukee Brewers
From JLOs presser

Is it an experience thing, that lapse in consistency?
I think so, we’ve got some inexperienced players all over the ground in some different lines. We’ve also got players playing new roles, so when momentum goes against you sometimes we can get quiet and go into our shells a little bit. I tried to put some things in place last week to help us through those momentum swings. Like I said I felt like we dug our self out of it, but we need to do it before it gets to five goals.

So anyone have an idea of what he would have tried to “put into place to help us through the momentum swings”?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cesoir

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2019
Cairns
AFL Club
Fremantle
From JLOs presser

I think so, we’ve got some inexperienced players all over the ground in some different lines. We’ve also got players playing new roles, so when momentum goes against you sometimes we can get quiet and go into our shells a little bit. I tried to put some things in place last week to help us through those momentum swings. Like I said I felt like we dug our self out of it, but we need to do it before it gets to five goals.

So anyone have an idea of what he would have tried to “put into place to help us through the momentum swings”?

Half time melee? :)

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
From JLOs presser

One was to man up and be less aggressive at clearances and stoppages when you are clearly losing in the ruck.

StingBitten

The Midland Steal
May 31, 2012
Bayswater
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not sure if already been mentioned. But we are looking a lot more comfortable in front of goal.

No set shots missed by either tram until after half time. Simply unheard of.

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
or change the personnel. Longmuir said it was our young guys, not the older guys that were giving us a better start and yet none of them where in the midfield this week for more than five minutes

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
I might have been watching a different game because Bewley was good in my opinion. Plenty of beautiful kicks and a couple of goals. Schultz improved on his last performance and added some pressure. Colyer still spudded it up bit did some good things. Guess these players will never please people on here. Hill was good on return, Serong was good on debut, Young was exceptional. Hogan and Taberner good too
I think the thing is - at the highest level now you can't carry people who burn the ball under no pressure or who regularly fumble and can't pick it up clean. Its just that fast now. Posession chains move so fast now that double handling can be the difference between getting it to the next link in time or a shot on goal in the milliseconds before the options get shut down.
Witness Young the way he picks the ball up with one grab, understands he's got heat, fires off the handball accurately and runs by for the receive. He is then able to size up the options and dictate with his kick where Walters has to run to receive.

Contrast that with Shultz running through the middle of the ground, plenty of time to weigh it up and execute and he just kicks it straight to the opposition. Or Colyer persistently fumbling the ball on the ground.

To win now you can't carry players like that no matter how fast they can run or how many tackles they lay. You need players who can do the athletic things AND execute properly.

Cesoir

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2019
Cairns
AFL Club
Fremantle
or change the personnel. Longmuir said it was our young guys, not the older guys that were giving us a better start and yet none of them where in the midfield this week for more than five minutes
Surely that is purely down to Longmuir - if he thought they were capable of a greater contribution he would play them there longer - unless we think he is tanking?

I'd like to think that he would have a very good handle by now on how much time these guys can play in the midfield without risking burning them out or injuring them. And before anyone points to Rowell, not every player develops at the same rate.

This week without Fyfe will be an interesting test on how much time the young guys get in the middle.

Cowboy Neale

Senior List
Apr 13, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think the thing is - at the highest level now you can't carry people who burn the ball under no pressure or who regularly fumble and can't pick it up clean. Its just that fast now. Posession chains move so fast now that double handling can be the difference between getting it to the next link in time or a shot on goal in the milliseconds before the options get shut down.
Witness Young the way he picks the ball up with one grab, understands he's got heat, fires off the handball accurately and runs by for the receive. He is then able to size up the options and dictate with his kick where Walters has to run to receive.

Contrast that with Shultz running through the middle of the ground, plenty of time to weigh it up and execute and he just kicks it straight to the opposition. Or Colyer persistently fumbling the ball on the ground.

To win now you can't carry players like that no matter how fast they can run or how many tackles they lay. You need players who can do the athletic things AND execute properly.
Okay, I feel Colyer’s being made a scapegoat here. As well as Schultz, Brayshaw had the ball with time and space and kicked it directly to the opposition more than once. It kills the team and we won’t improve until this improves.

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
Again, isn't that down to the coach, or can we somehow change that?
It is. And honestly I don't see anything wrong with Longmuir giving guys like Colyer at least a few games to prove themselves or adjust to a new gameplan, and if it doesn't work then change it up.

Feb 5, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
It is. And honestly I don't see anything wrong with Longmuir giving guys like Colyer at least a few games to prove themselves or adjust to a new gameplan, and if it doesn't work then change it up.
It will be interesting to see the team this week because he hasn't swung the axe yet.

The way I look at it, if we delisted Colyer or whoever, would west coast draft them? I think the answer is no for a big chunk of the list.

have to overcome this somehow...would even look at a rule that if we cough up two in a row a forward drops to the defensive side of the square

You can't with the 6-6-6. One of the reasons the rule was brought in was to stop teams from dropping forwards back.

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Okay, I feel Colyer’s being made a scapegoat here. As well as Schultz, Brayshaw had the ball with time and space and kicked it directly to the opposition more than once. It kills the team and we won’t improve until this improves.

I don’t disagree but I was replying to a post about Shultz & Colyer.
Also though, those 2 are mature age, Colyer in particular has been in the system for years so I don’t expect him to improve much from here.
Brayshaw is young,we have a lot invested in him & he has at times shown signs of genuine class. Of course we’re going to persist with him, but yes he was ordinary on the weekend

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back