Positives and Negatives vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought Sheed got exploited quite a few times at the stoppages. Just trailed his man through the stoppages and had zero impact. He does some great stuff but defensively he falls asleep at the wheel far too often.

yea Sheed defensive side of the game is what stops him being a great player.
But he was good tonight but can get better

Another negative, umpires need to shut the **** up, with there stupid "hold" calls and Ryan was undone by a stupid move it on call. It's either play on or nothing dickheads.

Umpires have been saying “move it on, play on” for as long as I can remember. That’s on Ryan far more than the umpiring.

We know how to win when the game is on the line. When it got to 11 we woke up again, same as when Freo challenged us. Also know how to step it up in big games (if we don’t get jumped first.. Geelong and Port). Key to beating us is either come out smoking and put 40 on us by quarter time or be within about 30ish at halftime.. we seem to go on and win from just about every other scenario. (Either 40+ up and manage to hold off a fightback or close enough to fight the game out)

The issue for us is to try and treat every moment like it’s the game on the line and recognise when a team is getting on top way before it gets to less than 2 goals.. We seem to be way too casual even at a 20 point margin which is frustrating to watch after the start we had.

Think Simmo still needs to come out and drop a handful at once, maybe even guys that have played “okay”, to send a bit of a message that okay is not okay and that we have high standards.

Responded to last week in the first quarter and just thought “righto we know we’re good enough, now who’s up next”

+ Forward line worked much better without Oscar Allen up there. Hopefully this was noticed and we can return to last years set up ASAP.

+ 2nd Quarter was much better.

+ Yeo, Redden, Sheed, Gaff and Shuey all showed some of their best footy, as did Darling and Kennedy early on.

- Plenty.

Umpires have been saying “move it on, play on” for as long as I can remember. That’s on Ryan far more than the umpiring.
But why? If you are taking too long it's play on, you shouldn't get a warning, and they don't do it every time, most times they just call play on, it's s**t and they need to speak less.

But why? If you are taking too long it's play on, you shouldn't get a warning.

Sure, but that’s not for Liam Ryan to decide on the fly.

Even if it’s needless the umpire says it, it’s also been going on for as long as Ryan has been playing footy. He’d know the rule. Until the umpire puts his hands up and says play on, just stay clear.

Not a positive or a negative, but a confusion ~

How the hell did this team beat the brakes off of Collingwood at the MCG a month ago? Cos they were all on an emotional high from Gaffy coming back? I can't even trust this team quarter to quarter anymore. That started round 1 in Brisbane, smashed them in the first, then vanished in the last three..it's bizarre.

Maybe we've been found out, who knows. Nic Nat and Rioli can't come back quick enough.

good to bank the 4 points and probably glad that was a home game ..
Seeing Simmo pissed was embarrassing to watch ,
Team found some form through hard work and intent but struggling to play for 4 quarters ..

But why? If you are taking too long it's play on, you shouldn't get a warning, and they don't do it every time, most times they just call play on, it's **** and they need to speak less.
I agree. Think Ryan was in the wrong this time.. Ump called “move on” instead of “play on”. But my question is why is there a need for a move on call? If he’s taking too long just call play on, there’s not really any need to warn him about it. Would speed the game up a bit, as frustrating as it would be if it was used against us.

- no attempt to rejuvenate the list or reward WAFL form. Obviously Vardy shouldn't have played. Very 2017 feel about this seasons selection strategies. 9th after round 7, poor percentage and playing poor footy. Traditionally the top eight is already set at this stage of the year and i see nothing to suggest otherwise. Half our squad going though the motions.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

+We got the 4 points
+We’re sitting at 4-3 with plenty of room for improvement
-I’m not sure where or when it’s going to come.

That was a really frustrating game to watch - never felt we were going to lose but we missed a golden opportunity to put a side away when players seemed to be satisfied with what they’d done and put the cue in the rack

Positive
mids hunted well and won a lot of contests even though we were thrashed in the ruck .

Shep !

Oscar not getting much of it but he can clunk a mark

Thank god we are playing under the roof next week . We suck when its not dry

Negatives

Masten has to go . 12 touches for a mid is terrible

Venables looks lost . Cant find the ball at all

Vardy has been woeful this year . Brooksby? Couldnt be worse .

Jetta - he is an awsome kick but a liability as a defender .

+ Hurn showing aggression (which he rarely does) and fighting with the GC players.
+ The others who jumped in to help eg. Yeo etc.

Not a positive or a negative, but a confusion ~

How the hell did this team beat the brakes off of Collingwood at the MCG a month ago? Cos they were all on an emotional high from Gaffy coming back? I can't even trust this team quarter to quarter anymore. That started round 1 in Brisbane, smashed them in the first, then vanished in the last three..it's bizarre.

Maybe we've been found out, who knows. Nic Nat and Rioli can't come back quick enough.
Until the team proves me otherwise, to me that game was: puffing the chest out, we still got it, geeing up for one big game. Protecting the turf... Like the fighter that's on his pay legs..."I hot one more in me".

The GWS game I put down to, unfurling the flag at home.

Hope I'm wrong.

OUT: OAllen Ah Chee Vardy

IN: Waterman Venables Hickey

We looked so much better without Oscar Allen in the forward 50.

- Petch, Venables were being carried/liabilities

- Need Rioli back asap. 3-4 weeks to go.

- We really miss Lecras and his leadership/direction of the forward line

stupid is as stupid does - forrest gump.
+ I'm intoxicated
+ 4 points
+ no injuries?
- Masten's haircut
- the percentage
- mass brain fade (yes, how did we win a GF?)
- Big Dewey's pink undies sticking up over his belt.
-That's where we are..it's not good. We nearly got rolled by GCS at home!
*team looks unfit and tired-coming off a 6 day break. Simmo got flu, maybe players?

OUT: OAllen Ah Chee Vardy

IN: Waterman Venables Hickey

We looked so much better without Oscar Allen in the forward 50.

- Petch, Venables were being carried/liabilities

- Need Rioli back asap. 3-4 weeks to go.

- We really miss Lecras and his leadership/direction of the forward line

Bit harsh on Ah Chee there - he was best afield today. (For the Beagles)

- no attempt to rejuvenate the list or reward WAFL form. Obviously Vardy shouldn't have played. Very 2017 feel about this seasons selection strategies. 9th after round 7, poor percentage and playing poor footy. Traditionally the top eight is already set at this stage of the year and i see nothing to suggest otherwise. Half our squad going though the motions.

I hardly think we've reverted to 2017 selection strategies when it's only been a single game where that has been the case (today). If anything, I'm pretty certain the axe will swing this week.

Another tale of two halves, much like the Fremantle game. Unfortunately, we're still nowhere near our best when it comes to converting clearances and rebound into meaningful i50s, and the ball is being turned over with concerning ease at the top of our arc. In addition, our switches are being exposed with the opposition stacking aerial contests on the wing, getting extra numbers to the fall.

Basically, teams are all over us like a rash, but I think we lifted considerably in the 2nd quarter and played some pretty well-rounded footy. The midfield tackled hard, Sheed found it, Darling was at his best and our back 6 motored along smoothly.

Alas, it didn't last and a rejuvenated Gold Coast outplayed us for a huge stretch of the 2nd half. The most dissapointing aspect of the game was that yet again, we had no way to give our tall forward setup a chance when under pressure. GC began to punish our turnovers.

Come the last 10 minutes and we did enough to seal the win. Yeo lifted to a level we haven't seen in 2019, and Darling iced it.

Maybe it's time for some tactical/selection experimentation. Perhaps we're still building fitness. However, 4-3 is not an awful position to be in and tonight there were moments where we managed to wrestle the momentum (a feature of 2018). Gold Coast are not a hopeless side and the biggest positives were our midfield's improved intent and Darling's spark. Petch is also looking more and more comfortable every week, starting to provide a real outlet and doing a lot of defensive running. His composure will improve.

Oh and Vardy is horribly out of form, he needs a spell in the 2s.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back