Positives and Negatives vs Gold Coast

frenchconnection

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
Wembley downs
AFL Club
West Coast
+ Yeo 12 tackles. People doubting his output over the last few weeks haven't been paying attention. Hes been cracking in but just not getting the pill as much. I'm putting that down to his short preseason.

On SM-G920I using BigFooty.com mobile app
And didn't Yeo also have surgery on his toe, although perhaps that's what you mean by having a short preseason?

good to bank the 4 points and probably glad that was a home game ..
Seeing Simmo pissed was embarrassing to watch ,
Team found some form through hard work and intent but struggling to play for 4 quarters ..

Funny how two people see the same thing and respond differently.

When Simmo cracked it in the box , I thought about ****** time.
A bit ( no actually a lot ) of tough love required here.

Simpson has been so polite, so diplomatic and backed his players publicly for way to long now......... maybe its time to call them on their s**t.

So many efforts tonight ( and thus far this season ) have been half arsed and inconsistent.

We have all seen our best this year ... it stands up and stacks up ,right up there with the leaders of the pack. :whitecheck:

Conversely we have seen ( far more often than we would have liked ), a series of half arsed , cute , non-switched on efforts. :pileofpoop:

Right at the minute we lack any sort of consistency in effort , application and mental strength to string four solid quarters of football together in a game.

Lots went wrong ( again ) tonight but the areas in the game and the margins in the game, in which we can improve, are plentiful so all is not lost......... but FFS please players start switching on collectively......... and play four quarters of football.

Hap Hapablap

I'm off to Nepal to become a mountain goat.
Jun 27, 2006
Where the cows go bong.
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers,Internazionale, Man U
positive

simpson losing his s**t. i havent seen any of our coaches do that since the malthouse days.

the fact that simpson was mad showed how much he wants the team to improve. and i respect it a lot.. shows passion

it is fair to say once rioli nic nat and sexual come back we'll be for the better for now we need to just keep improving.

that second half was revolting but i feel we need these sort of brain fades to remind the squad its not gonna be easy again

frenchconnection

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
Wembley downs
AFL Club
West Coast
The concerning thing from my perspective is that we only played well for a quarter or so when the Suns gave us space. As soon as they made the game more contested, things went haywire and the forwards basically didn't get a good look at the ball from that point onwards.

That's been the tale of the last few games, but tonight the suns weren't good enough to switch it on from the get-go. The fact it hasn't been rectified yet is disconcerting.
That's where it appears Simmo is quite stubborn - backs in the players and backs in his game plan which in my opinion needs a bit of tinkering.

Starting the replay now trying to figure out what the hell went wrong.

I will say, intent early was right up, so the boys obviously got the message and still have it in them.

Tackle count from the mids is broadly quite pleasing.

Redden 13, Yeo 12, Hutchings 9, Shuey 8, Gaff 6 (and some desperation under packs too).

It seems intent was preached as a focal point and we came out with some good effort, which is what we all wanted. Good. Next thing to solve is why it cooled off so dramatically.

Can someone tell me why our forward setup changed so dramatically throughout the game? These two throw ins are effectively in the same spot, it’s a matter of metres, and look at the differences in setup.

Forwardline was humming early and came to a screeching halt after half time - why the alteration? Which of these options would you rather if you’re a midfielder who wins a clearance?

7888d6177d4035321b327bfc0cce773e.jpg

54302ba7e42c81dc5276289dce6748f0.jpg

When guys get pinged running too far or blindly kick to open space and hope for the best, this is why.

Where’s Yeo supposed to go with this footy. Darling is the deepest man and is still busting his ass trying to get a full kick distance away, plus there’s a spare defender over the back.

f52866ac5dcd1662427c1d2d40cf7100.jpg

The Stid

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Bruins
Positives
+ The intensity was up, they were hunting the ball and tackling in the first half, all of which has been lacking for most games this season.
+ Yeo finding some form
+ Darling finding some form, albeit for only parts of the game. But positive signs.
+ Sheppard. I say this most weeks, get this man a f**king medal, lads. Should be AA this year.
+ Gaff getting into space a bit more and not blindly kicking around the corner as much.
+ Hurn and Simmo showing some anger which we don’t normally see from them.
+ The midfield is better with Redden.

Negatives:
- It seems the team have adopted Gino D’Acampo’s motto of “minimum effort, maximum satisfaction” only the satisfaction stems from being the reigning premiers and not W’s in 2019.
- Hickey Out, Vardy In. Would have preferred to have seen Brooksby come in.
- Didn’t sustain the same intensity and hunger/desperation shown in the first half during the second half and just got sloppy. Felt like the boys thought GC were just going to roll over and they could cruise to a big, easy win.
- The backline making some uncharacteristic mistakes. Hurn & Jetta aso guilty. One of Duggan or Cole need some time at the Beagles. Bring in Rotham.
- The 50’s from Flyin’ and Cole. I know they thought it was called play on but still.
- Only a small negative and probably unfair but Petch being fumbly was frustrating.
- Venables started well, was involved a fair bit in the first quarter but then went quiet. He’s going to require a lot of patience which isn’t some supporters “forte” as Derwayne would say.
- If we put up that same effort that was shown in the second half tonight against the next five teams we could be seeing more L’s. Regardless of the oppo’s placements on the ladder. Saints (A), Dee’s (H), Crows (A), Dogs (H) and Swans (A) before the bye. Theirs potential for upsets in that group. We really should win all 5, this groups ability wouldn’t have just drifted away after winning a GF. It’s an attitude problem, so hopefully it can be turned around, quickly.

Avalor

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Jakarta
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth, Donnybrook, Chelsea
Positive
mids hunted well and won a lot of contests even though we were thrashed in the ruck .

Shep !

Oscar not getting much of it but he can clunk a mark

Thank god we are playing under the roof next week . We suck when its not dry

Negatives

Masten has to go . 12 touches for a mid is terrible

Venables looks lost . Cant find the ball at all

Vardy has been woeful this year . Brooksby? Couldnt be worse .

Jetta - he is an awsome kick but a liability as a defender .

All points spot on. I have thought this of Jetts for a while now. As a defender, he is woeful.

Brave Sir Robin

Cancelled
Jun 27, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Not that it really matters but the fact that two players in the same game got FAs for tackling after a mark when they thought the umpire called play on strikes me as odd. Especially the Ryan one, because I thought I heard the ump call play on too.

I don't mind them saying 'move it on' but for whatever reason it sounded, in the moment at least, like he did call play on.

jesterwester

Premiership Player
May 1, 2007
Australind
AFL Club
West Coast
Mid table is where we are at right now, but is anyone really surprised?
Cripps, JK, Venables, Yeo, Gov, Duggan, Masten have all had interrupted preseasons. Rioli looked to be primed for a massive year then gets injured at the last hurdle. Barrass another victim of the concrete surface we call our home ground.

With Lycett gone and Lecca retired that’s over half of our premiership side gone, or coming into the year 1 step behind the pack.
Not an excuse by any means, but we were never going to be world beaters for the 1st half of the year IMO.

Positives from tonight:

Darling is probably the barometer of the side now; he plays well, we tend to win more often than not. Was excellent tonight. The key is to do it next week. And the week after that. And the week after that. I think when he’s up and about like his 2nd quarter he’s almost one of the hardest players to match up on.

Shep was absolutely fantastic. 26 touches @ 96%, 9 score involvements from your HBF is just terrific and blanketed the dangerous sexton all night. Superb match. Would have to be in AA contention thus far.

Tackling pressure was good, as was our intensity. Yeo, Redden, Shuey had 33 between them. Would suggest that was a focus to get in and do the hard gritty work.

Sheed is almost our most reliable set shot goal kicker now. Have absolute confidence he will kick them from anywhere now. Don’t even mind if he turns his back on Kennedy (like he did tonight.)

Negatives:
We definitely took the foot off the pedal from about 5 minutes before half time, and it nearly cost us, thankfully it didn’t. Still much to work on, which is fine given it’s round 7. Want to start hitting the straps soon though.

Also, our goal kicking was a bit off tonight, something that has been very good this year. We could have really buried them a lot earlier and it would have shut out any chance of a comeback. But, we kept the door open.

I said after the Collingwood game that things are never as good as they are, or as bad as they seem. After that match it didn’t really feel like much could be better. Tonight, I think it’s not as bad as everyone is making it out to be. On to next week, saints away will be a good matchup.

Who knows, we might just start to get our season back on track. One can only hope.

Ghossein

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Team Arrogance
I think the most frustrating thing is that we've shown patches of 2018 footy pretty consistently, but it'll just disappear

Dale Doback

Team Captain
Aug 6, 2018
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Miami Heat
+ Shuey, Yeo and Redden came out with real intent around the contest and showed real leadership.
+ Sheppard is a jet.
- The rest of the half forwards and mids looked out of puff or just too slow in the second half and we couldn't clear the stoppage. Just kept working sideways or backwards. hardly anyone even trying to burst through and break the line until Petch did late in the last 1/4.
- Liam Duggan is Koby Stevens 2.0 Aggressive and looks the goods, but he's an erratic kicker and fumbles all the time.
- Vardy isn't capable of leading the ruck. Hickey and Allen pinch hitting until Nic returns.
- Masten is done.

Aug 12, 2014
P-town
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts, Prescot Cables
Not that it really matters but the fact that two players in the same game got FAs for tackling after a mark when they thought the umpire called play on strikes me as odd. Especially the Ryan one, because I thought I heard the ump call play on too.

I don't mind them saying 'move it on' but for whatever reason it sounded, in the moment at least, like he did call play on.

Unfortunately he said "move it on" and made the underarm sweeping motion to signal this. What Ryan should have been watching for is the two hands in the air which signals play on. I find it baffling that players don't also watch what the umpire signals as well as listen to the call. I think we had a 'controversial' (according to the commentators) 50m penalty given to us a few weeks back (Cripps I think it was) when the umpire had clearly signalled our way but the opposition tried to run off with it. They can't be any clearer really.

Sep 27, 2005
Victoria
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
WILDCATS/STH.FREO/CELTICS
I don't give a crap about stats, they can be padded quite easilly this day and age, the simple fact for me is we don't want it as bad as they did last year.

So many times you see guys stick a hand out as a token gesture to tackle, players at best jogging regularly.

What is going on is all mental, because they can turn it on when i suits them, which is not to often this year, this time last year we were going hard for the whole game and set up the dream finals fixture, the same cannot be said this year, it seems they all think what happened last year will just happen and they are going to put themselves in a position at the end of the season where if they are in the finals that it will require hard work, it can be turned around if they lift their effort, but right now i have seen nothing this season that shows that is going to occur.

Seadog

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2004
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth, West Ham
Sure, but that’s not for Liam Ryan to decide on the fly.

Even if it’s needless the umpire says it, it’s also been going on for as long as Ryan has been playing footy. He’d know the rule. Until the umpire puts his hands up and says play on, just stay clear.
I'll concede that point, Ryan should have been aware that wasn't the play on signal.

Back