Positives and Negatives vs Gold Coast

shooshka

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Unfortunately he said "move it on" and made the underarm sweeping motion to signal this. What Ryan should have been watching for is the two hands in the air which signals play on. I find it baffling that players don't also watch what the umpire signals as well as listen to the call. I think we had a 'controversial' (according to the commentators) 50m penalty given to us a few weeks back (Cripps I think it was) when the umpire had clearly signalled our way but the opposition tried to run off with it. They can't be any clearer really.
They can be a lot clearer from an umpiring perspective (not blaming them, it is 100% on Ryan but I have held this opinion for a while).

In cricket players are taught 'yes, no or wait', never 'go' because it sounds the same as no.

Yet for the part of the game where umpires are slowest to adjudicate (takes 2-3 steps forthem to call it most often), they have 'move it on' or 'play on'. So we want players to be experts at hearing or watching umpires instead of the play (the advantage rule is different, as the penalty for delay is you get the kick anyway). Just instruct umpires to drop the 'on' from move it on. I.e. 'move it'.

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app

kaII

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
re: the Ryan 50, I think a contributing factor was that the player had stepped off his mark multiple times and the umpire hadn't said boo. Sometimes they'll call play on immediately when that happens, but on that occasion it wasn't the case. Obviously Ryan needed to be watching the hand signals better, but I think it's at least some explanation for why he went early.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
Positives are we got the win.
Darling found a bit of it.
When we want the ball we can play good footy. Mental issues in this group though.

Negatives
As per almost every game we have more passengers than transperth.
3 small forwards in Cripps, Petch and Ryan and between them they have had one reasonable game each in 7 rounds. They are totally being carried and offering nothing at the fall of the ball when we go forward, the only time you see them is chasing their opponent out of the backline. They are waiting fir the easy goal over the top and how they continue to get a game is beyond me.
One on one contests we lose almost every time, we are so easily just pushed aside by smaller weaker bodies.
We are way to slow moving the ball. Hurn and Jetta need to pull the trigger earlier and kick longer to targets and utilise their strengths.

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
I think a scrappy win can be better than a 100 point win sometimes.

We clearly arent playing well and if we had flogged GC then it couldve covered a few issues.

Keep ticking the wins while we are down amd hopefully when we click we can surge up the ladder later in the season.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Unfortunately he said "move it on" and made the underarm sweeping motion to signal this. What Ryan should have been watching for is the two hands in the air which signals play on. I find it baffling that players don't also watch what the umpire signals as well as listen to the call. I think we had a 'controversial' (according to the commentators) 50m penalty given to us a few weeks back (Cripps I think it was) when the umpire had clearly signalled our way but the opposition tried to run off with it. They can't be any clearer really.
Yep that was all on ryan . Massive pooch screw

madfx

All Australian
Apr 7, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
I think a scrappy win can be better than a 100 point win sometimes.

We clearly arent playing well and if we had flogged GC then it couldve covered a few issues.

Keep ticking the wins while we are down amd hopefully when we click we can surge up the ladder later in the season.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
This is a great point actually, if we beat up on not great teams it papers over the cracks and we go back to the "flat track bullies" era of a few seasons ago.

At least this way we walk away with the 4 points which are going to be super crucial come September and the coaches can hopefully figure this s**t out ready for when we get a huge boost from our returning players.

EagleEgo

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
+ve
A win
-ve
Only because the opposition was the Gold Coast Sun.
Replacing with any of the other 16 teams, Eagles would have lost by a big margin yesterday.

Last edited:

madfx

All Australian
Apr 7, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Yep that was all on ryan . Massive pooch screw
As is always the case our supporters absolutely copping it on social media for booing that, as if 47000 were all watching what the ump motioned. Was good to see shuey got straight over to Ryan afterwards to settle him.

KERRPOW

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 28, 2008
in a town near you
AFL Club
West Coast
I can see how the players get confused with Play on and move on given the emphasis the umps put on the on.

They players need to look at the umpire rather than just listen, that would have saved 2 50m penalties.

Whats with the nuffies chanting 'eagles' towards the end? Wasnt a game to be chanting.

Eagleboy68

Cancelled
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Can someone tell me why our forward setup changed so dramatically throughout the game? These two throw ins are effectively in the same spot, it’s a matter of metres, and look at the differences in setup.

Forwardline was humming early and came to a screeching halt after half time - why the alteration? Which of these options would you rather if you’re a midfielder who wins a clearance?

7888d6177d4035321b327bfc0cce773e.jpg

54302ba7e42c81dc5276289dce6748f0.jpg

When guys get pinged running too far or blindly kick to open space and hope for the best, this is why.

Where’s Yeo supposed to go with this footy. Darling is the deepest man and is still busting his ass trying to get a full kick distance away, plus there’s a spare defender over the back.

f52866ac5dcd1662427c1d2d40cf7100.jpg

In my humble opinion it's because the work rate is down by most players. I reckon this is why Simmo cracked it along with poor disposal. We didn't do this last year even in our poor games we were still working hard both ways.

Yeo didn't travel any further than any others I've seen this year who haven't been pinged.
For some reason the umps are all over us. I've seen players run from the goal defence to 40 meters out without being pinged.

Balls In

Brownlow Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
In my humble opinion it's because the work rate is down by most players. I reckon this is why Simmo cracked it along with poor disposal. We didn't do this last year even in our poor games we were still working hard both ways.

Yeo didn't travel any further than any others I've seen this year who haven't been pinged.
For some reason the umps are all over us. I've seen players run from the goal defence to 40 meters out without being pinged.
We had someone full blown tackled after taking a clear mark. The treatment of Kennedy last night was also a disgrace. For them to then be paid a dubious blocking free in their 50 was weird. Although the free kick count was even the Suns recieved 3 50m penalties to our zero and scored 3 goals from free kicks to our zero. Its a big discrepancy.

Last edited:

Eagleboy68

Cancelled
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
We had someone full blown tackled after taking a clear mark. The treatment of Kennedy last night was also a disgrace. For them to then be paid a dubious blocking free in their 50 was weird.

Yes. It's almost a continuation of the umpire gate last year where the umpires were stood down from our games because of perceived bias
Now Kennedy has to be molested in a back alley to get a free.

West Coast 06

Premium Platinum
Jun 5, 2006
Home
AFL Club
West Coast
As is always the case our supporters absolutely copping it on social media for booing that, as if 47000 were all watching what the ump motioned. Was good to see shuey got straight over to Ryan afterwards to settle him.
I am not sure is was that clear cut either. Shuey also spent a very long time talking to the umpire about it afterwards. Shuey was on the mark IIRC.

Watch any match and the “move it on” “play on” are usually called almost straight after each other. The player in this instance had what seemed to be a very long time with the ball.

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
At the ground I thought it was play on. I won't lie, I went mental when the fifty was given. I rarely get over the top at the ground but this one got me, coupled with the general frustration of watching that third quarter unfold.

Balls In

Brownlow Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
I am not sure is was that clear cut either. Shuey also spent a very long time talking to the umpire about it afterwards. Shuey was on the mark IIRC.

Watch any match and the “move it on” “play on” are usually called almost straight after each other. The player in this instance had what seemed to be a very long time with the ball.
The bloke was holding the footy for an age and had moved well off his line. The maggots calling "move on" and gesturing with his arm... then pings Ryan for taking half a step? The best you can say is that the penalty miles harsher than the crime.

The bloke was holding the footy for an age and had moved well off his line. The maggots calling "move on" and gesturing with his arm... then pings Ryan for taking half a step? The best you can say is that the penalty miles harsher than the crime.
Half a step? Ryan basically ran up to him haha.

Move on isn’t play on and it wasn’t the play on hand gesture. Ryan should know better.

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
re: the Ryan 50, I think a contributing factor was that the player had stepped off his mark multiple times and the umpire hadn't said boo. Sometimes they'll call play on immediately when that happens, but on that occasion it wasn't the case. Obviously Ryan needed to be watching the hand signals better, but I think it's at least some explanation for why he went early.
Ryan is at fault in the end -pood umpire communication may have contributed but thats life. A positive was Ryans intent to apply pressure.

The negative was the clear pulling of Ryans jumper in a marking contest etc etc - no wonder he was frustrated.

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast

And there was Pavlich saying "it was definitely over 15 metres and each step was longer than a metre!!"
What a turkey...I thought I counted about 13, be interesting to count in slo-mo, and get a real account of where umps are at?

twinkletoes#17

Coaster
May 30, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
+ Shepp
+ Gov
+ Hurn biff
+ Gaff cleaning up his disposal
+ Yeo
+ Shuey
+ Angry Simmo
+ finally a decent first qtr

- Darlings body language, kicked a bag but still walked around like someone had kicked a puppy in the 2nd.
- younger kids look like they need a rest, OAllen and Petrol struggled in the 2nd half
- the second half generally, if we were playing a better team we would have lost that
- team fitness to run out games, same thing happened with Brisbane

Aug 27, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Royals & Subi
80a6c35df96abbec66187ba3e2f2e5ae.jpg

Posted in the game thread but needs repeating. This is our forward setup with a loose ball contest 70m out from goal.

Let’s say someone gathers it and fires a handball out to an Eagle in space. Quick decision - what exactly are you meant to do with the ball there? Hack it long to the loose? Pinpoint Venables and hope for the best?

Shocking setup, our forwards have been pushing higher and higher forward this season and the best patches of footy have been when we’ve had targets locked in deep. Ridiculous setup, no wonder guys are getting done running too far.

They’re being dragged into the contest, it’s why running three KPF’s is such a liability.

Talls getting dragged into stoppages are a real liability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back