Positives and Negatives vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

We had someone full blown tackled after taking a clear mark. The treatment of Kennedy last night was also a disgrace. For them to then be paid a dubious blocking free in their 50 was weird. Although the free kick count was even the Suns recieved 3 50m penalties to our zero and scored 3 goals from free kicks to our zero. Its a big discrepancy.
To be fair they gave Allen an absolute dolly in front of goal for jumper punching the Gold Coast defender. Was a bizarre call and Oallen missed a sitter.

And there was Pavlich saying "it was definitely over 15 metres and each step was longer than a metre!!"
What a turkey...I thought I counted about 13, be interesting to count in slo-mo, and get a real account of where umps are at?

I counted 16 but the first few were short.
It's a moot point anyway because the rule is 15 meters not 15 steps, the umpires count steps as a guide but most people at full flight their steps are usually about 1.5 meters.
He travelled more than 15 but the point is the umpires don't call the rest of them.

That Lewis Jetta run from defence in the grand final for Sydney he bounces 3 times iirc and he only ran 15 steps in between each bounce which the u.pires let's go when in reality he traveled about 25 meters between each bounce.

To be fair they gave Allen an absolute dolly in front of goal for jumper punching the Gold Coast defender. Was a bizarre call and Oallen missed a sitter.

Ryan had just marked the ball about 5m closer to the boundary, and frankly he probably would have kicked the goal. It was a ridiculous free kick, but had he kicked it, it wouldn't have been the absolute gift the commentators were suggesting.

We just don’t have that drive to finish sides off. We get 5-6 goals up and then the foot comes off the pedal. It’s been a constant frustration and always allow opposition to stay in the game.

Mix that with a few players just turning up and waiting for others to win the game and it all unravels pretty quick.

The good thing is the game showed what we can do at our best, which we haven’t seen for almost a month now. I’m hoping this is a turning point in helping us find our form.

Still a lot of games to be played and I still think we’ll be ok but we need to find that form again in the next two weeks max.

c7bee802bace5ad7c6c347a7b54543c0.jpg

We’re about a third of the way through the season and, as it stands, we’ve played the top five, seventh and Gold Coast. We travel to sixth and eighth in the coming three weeks.

14 teams have won at least three games. Collingwood and Geelong aside, no team has come into the season with high expectations and crushed it.

Brisbane have been good but with two blowout losses, GWS have been good but were embarrassed in their two losses. We too have had some embarrassing losses and some elite wins. Richmond fans are miserable, Melbourne fans are miserable, Sydney fans are miserable, Hawthorn fans are miserable, Adelaide fans wouldn’t be thrilled.

I think we’re decently placed, albeit with shitloads to clean up, but I think that’s the case for a lot of sides. Not many sides are flexing yet this year. It seems like the sort of year where banking wins and fixing stuff on the fly is the way to go.

c7bee802bace5ad7c6c347a7b54543c0.jpg

We’re about a third of the way through the season and, as it stands, we’ve played the top five, seventh and Gold Coast. We travel to sixth and eighth in the coming three weeks.

14 teams have won at least three games. Collingwood and Geelong aside, no team has come into the season with high expectations and crushed it.

Brisbane have been good but with two blowout losses, GWS have been good but were embarrassed in their two losses. We too have had some embarrassing losses and some elite wins. Richmond fans are miserable, Melbourne fans are miserable, Sydney fans are miserable, Hawthorn fans are miserable, Adelaide fans wouldn’t be thrilled.

I think we’re decently placed, albeit with shitloads to clean up, but I think that’s the case for a lot of sides. Not many sides are flexing yet this year. It seems like the sort of year where banking wins and fixing stuff on the fly is the way to go.
Get your rational thoughts and balanced opinions out of here, that nonsense has no place on this board.

To the people saying that it's not all doom and gloom, I don't have a problem with the amount of games we have lost, but as has been said by a few people on here, the concerning thing is HOW we have lost.

We have been absolutely thumped, and that Gold coast game did nothing to reassure me of the direction we are going this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To the people saying that it's not all doom and gloom, I don't have a problem with the amount of games we have lost, but as has been said by a few people on here, the concerning thing is HOW we have lost.

We have been absolutely thumped, and that Gold coast game did nothing to reassure me of the direction we are going this season.

I’ve been one of the people saying the way we’ve lost (and the Freo win) have been concerning, but my point above is we’re not orphans. GWS have had their pants pulled down twice, home and away, as have Brisbane, as have Port. Sides are very up and down week to week, Geelong being the obvious exception.

We have too much to fix to get excited about just yet, but that also seems to be the case for the vast vast vast majority of the comp. If we’re able to bank these next few wins it’ll change the mindset quite drastically.

Sheed had three very important tackles in the first quarter alone.
They may not have ended in stoppages so technically are not "recorded tackles" but they were more effective than getting a stat in the T column because you happen to be sitting on the opposition player with the ball when the umpire blows the whistle.
You've got to look beyond the stats sheet which is clearly misleading and watch the game for yourself.
Wow, thanks for the lecture on how to watch football :rolleyes:

Sheed is almost our most reliable set shot goal kicker now. Have absolute confidence he will kick them from anywhere now. Don’t even mind if he turns his back on Kennedy (like he did tonight.)
I sort of agree with this. I mean, yes he should have a look, and probably did have a quick look, but trying to force a perfect lobbed kick is sometimes too risky.

The 40m out directly in front kick is a guaranteed score, save for a massive mongrel kick. If he'd have turned and JK was waving his arms around he might not have passed it, but someone like Petruccelle would because it's his vice captain calling for the ball and he's young. JK has every right to call for it, but the kick to him could end in a turnover especially if it needs to go over the man on the mark.

Watching the game, I was shaking my head at how we let GC back into the contest. But with a days hindsight I don't think it was that bad, it's just that we're clumping the second half with the performances over the last 3 weeks.

+ We played well first half, albeit against a side that isn't at the level of the contenders we need to beat.
+ Midfield getting there. Yeo, Shuey, Gaff, Sheed, Redden all looked good.
+ Defence still rock solid.

- Vardy. What's happened to him?
- Lacking potency going forward.
- Masten going backwards as the season goes on. Only 12 touches this week.
- Have lost faith in Venables. He still looks classy with ball in hand, but he's only making cameo appearances.
- OAllen needs a break. Had a couple good grabs, but otherwise had no impact on the game. Send him back to the WAFL where he can apply what he learned in the seniors.

+ opened their defence up a few times with quick ball movement and forward entries.
+ Gaff's game and ball delivery much better.
+ key forwards were better but still need to play a whole game.
+ Yeos last 10-15 mins were the Yeo of old. While the remainder of his game was solid the last 15 were exceptional - needs to carry this on going forward.
+ Shep & Hurn were very good. Albeit they were also responsible for second negative below.
+ Gov returning to some sort of form
+ Shuey has been consistent all year.
+ cannot fault Ryans work rate.
+ oh the four points.
+ effort level was better

- at other times slow ball movement meant by the time the ball got in it was like Hay Street mall at lunchtime.
- kicking the ball around in our defence we refused to take the direct pass forward rather kept the slow ball movement going even to the point refusing to use free players.
- a couple of 50m penalty brain farts by our boys.
- OAllen's two shots at goal - he really laid back on them and missed very gettable shots. Have to nail them.
- still not 'there'

Man, if Elliot Yeo didnt step up in the final 8 minutes, we woulda lost this one. He pretty much dragged us over the line. I hope in the post-game review they ask a lot of questions - both about the players intent and the game tactics.

Can't see everything n TV but I swear I caught a glimpse of Kennedy baking Darling/Allen after a forward entry. Looked like a 'GTFO of my space' reaction.

Even on the last play where Gaff passed to Darling we had Gaff between left half forward and wing looking to kick and all of our forwards leading to the left forward pocket. Darling just broke a couple of metres away and had acres of space to work with. Why are we constantly kicking to 3 on 3s and 4 on 4s?

Definitely was a better performance but against a better team we would of been beaten again, and that's no disrespect to Gold Coast. The Saints is a gettable win if West Coast can play 4 quarters like their first 2 against Gold Coast but it's not going to be easy.

Yes noticed Oscar Allen going off at half time - he looked absolutely buggered as though he couldn't raise a trot!
Rucking when you are not used to it will kill ya. Being a young bloke, it was a tough ask for him to be the back up ruck. i doubt he has more than a couple of weeks to train as a ruck either.

The biggest positive for mine is we are still 4-3 and in touch with the pack, despite not playing near as well as we can.

Also our draw has been tough, so should get a bit easier and give us some opportunity to improve our w/l record.

Unfortunately there are many negatives. The biggest is we have too many passengers at the moment. Guys who were genuine assets in 2018 have become liabilities in 2019.

IMO it's time to give more chances to guys who missed the flag - MAllen, Rotham and Waterman head of that queue. I know Simmo is a loyal coach and that is a great trait of his, but now is time for a bit of a kick up the bum for a few fellas.

There's a long time to turn this around, but it needs to start pretty soon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back