Review Positives and Negatives vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Simmo probably needs to wake up because what we have dished up since 2019 is not sustainable, well at least not successful. If we are playing wet s**t conditions then it is a war and blokes need to tackle and pressure, not chip it around playing keepings off- the evidence is clear.

As much as I love Simmo, he is a bit pig headed with his game plans and is slow to adapt. In 2015 we had a great plan with the Web- until we got on a wide oval like the G and it was exposed. Yet it took another 2 seasons before he developed something else. Now last year, a lot of our plan of high possession high marking game was exposed in anything other than perfect conditions and again last Saturday. Its clear this lan only works in perfect conditions and yet we still wont get down nd dirty and tackle and pressure when conditions demand it. If we contine this way through this year and again next year then I can see Simmos position will be questioned.
It's interesting that Collingwood has chosen to imitate our style. I think it nullifies the Richmond style - unless it rains and kick-mark becomes unsustainable. No surprises that Collingwood lost that scrappy prelim in the wet to GWS last year. It's a shame, because I reckon they would have torn Richmond apart in the GF (given it was bone dry).

Yep I was thinnking the exact same thin last week, particularly early- they looked very much like us.
That said, I think Pies are able to better adapt and change down a few gears into dirt mode while we continue to stay in overdrive in the mud and end up stalling.

Yep I was thinnking the exact same thin last week, particularly early- they looked very much like us.
That said, I think Pies are able to better adapt and change down a few gears into dirt mode while we continue to stay in overdrive in the mud and end up stalling.

Sounds like we need someone with a nice set of wheels on him

Great write up while very worrying.

Lots to comment on my biggest takeaway

"Ideally, rather than chasing shadows through the midfield, Brander would have been groomed in his progress towards a position such as this. What Gold Coast is doing with Lukosius is what this club should be doing with Brander."

Gold Coast do a lot wrong but watched them closely with this and they are nailing it. Pretty sure he had a couple average games as the main man and now he already looks to have developed significantly with his new role.
I have said for some time that Brander should be played in defence.Hes strong,tall,good mark and good kick.He should be being groomed to replace Hurn/Jetta.Instead hes lolling around a wing and not developing ANY aggression.

You want to play 3 tall backs?
Brander is Hurn only taller.Hurn took a while to toughen up.brander is a better mark than Hurn,probably quicker,very good below his knees and is a decent kick tho'not up to Hurn standard,but then again who is?.Every position seems to be getting bigger so Brander would just be an extension of that.We need replacements for Hurn/Jetta sooner rather than later.

Brander is Hurn only taller.Hurn took a while to toughen up.brander is a better mark than Hurn,probably quicker,very good below his knees and is a decent kick tho'not up to Hurn standard,but then again who is?.Every position seems to be getting bigger so Brander would just be an extension of that.We need replacements for Hurn/Jetta sooner rather than later.

Hurn was a beast from the get go and didn't need time to toughen up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back