Review Positives and Negatives vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

I like the idea of Brander on the wing on the assumption the game is played in good conditions. In greasy conditions his marking power is basically null and void and he doesn't have the change of direction to stop plays defensively.

His kicking I think is better than what has been shown so far.

If they are intent on keeping Ah Chee in the forward line, surely he could provide a midfield rotation? Ditto Duggan from defence. Heck even give Ryan the odd run in there ala Willie.
Ah Chee definitely could provide some time in the middle. His main asset in the forwardline is his size and good marking ability. But having Allen, Darling, JK, Ah Chee and Ryan up there all of which want to mark the ball is bad balance.

If you go through the "un-explainable" losses that this core group have had over the past few years, there is always one constant. A wet football. I wasnt raining Saturday night, but the heavy dew made it just like it was.
Its simple. We cannot cleanly handle the ball in wet conditions. once this happens, our structure breaks down cos we dont have the time to set up and run, the players get frustrated and it turns into a scrap.
Time and time again on Saturday night i saw WC players 2-3 touch the ball. the time difference between this and cleanly picking up the ball is all it takes to disrupt our set up. we train for the fast transition, quick movements, which includes handling the ball clean. Picking up the ball is the start of the chain, and if you delay this, everything else is suddenly a step behind.

i should just cut and paste my last comment from when we poo'ed it up.

IF we are playing Ah Chee , surely he should be one to get Mid minutes.

I was hoping Brander could show something but im not sure we are in a position to carry him as winger and i feel we are so out of balance with him in that role.

I think our preparation was way off and i am glad we are not having to fly anywhere for the next few weeks.

Is JK sore? if so rest him for a week or two and it is possible these older players are going to find it hard coming back from the long break hard to get back into it quickly.

Also the ruck situation? Do we play one ? or do we get Bailey in. But if we do that what do we do with Oscar? He really needs to be playing forward and offers energy in the forward line like a young JK.

Sorry if someone has already posted about this.

But does anyone have any info on the scratch match of our reserves that was meant to take place before our dreadful performance? I think we had 12 players and were going to loan some players from GC to top up our team.

Sorry if someone has already posted about this.

But does anyone have any info on the scratch match of our reserves that was meant to take place before our dreadful performance? I think we had 12 players and were going to loan some players from GC to top up our team.
There was a pretty good scratch match at 5:30 on Saturday arvo at Metricon. Gold Coast had our measure but hopefully we are right to go when the season restarts this weekend..

Can you imagine Cripps trying to get a clearance in those conditions? Bloke fumbles more than any other player in the side. It isn’t good enough for a small.
Yeah I know, it sucks. I thought he had turned the corner a bit in that regard but he’s regressed. He’s not really offering much at all at the moment

At least in 2015 he was averaging 5.5 tackles a game, but since the flag he’s only averaged a touch over 3.

On that, we are averaging an extremely low number of tackles per game from our forward half since 2018:

Petruccelle 1.7
Ryan 2
Darling 2.6
Kennedy 1.6
Ah Chee 0.6
Sheed 1.5
Cripps 3.1
Rioli 3
Cameron 4

Frankly that’s absolute horseshit forward pressure. Made even worse when you remove Rioli and Cameron.

fair bit of JK bashing here but he was on the end of some very questionable deliveries inside 50. The rest of the forwards need to be protecting him and creating space, not flying from 3 deep trying to win a car (ah chee).

fair bit of JK bashing here but he was on the end of some very questionable deliveries inside 50. The rest of the forwards need to be protecting him and creating space, not flying from 3 deep trying to win a car (ah chee).
Ah Chee got two goals in round 1 by staying down. Infuriating that he and Ryan are both flying for speckies. Bloody Kennedy and Darling forced to play crumbing roles

^^ JK also made a meal of some pretty basic chances as well. Think the confidence was down a bit which is why he handed that goal off to Shuey.

Missed 2 gettable shots from memory, and kicked into the man on the mark for a 3rd.

Rest of the game he spent being out muscled and ran off by his opponent. This is Fremantle discard and lower grade footballer Sam Collins we're talking about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No it hasn't disappeared the last couple of seasons, it's completely fair to say.
I never suggested Allen would overtake him the moment he gets down forward, just that he will overtake him.
I'm not sure what a "world shattering event" has to do with an aging players downturn in form? And why would I not ignore 4 months of the team not playing in judging a players form? What do you want me to say, man Hurn is playing poorly but he sure as s**t socially isolated well in autumn?

And yet he was an AA in 2019 last year, despite the fact it “hasn’t disappeared”. It’s pretty clear his marking and overall game have improved massively in the last couple seasons, so I’m not sure what you’re seeing.

In what other season has there been a four month gap between round 1 and 2? In what other year have these circumstances occurred? I’m telling you that it can’t just be tossed aside, especially when judging where a player is at. That’s all I’m saying.

That's cool, I think we are more or less on the same page.

There are three talented players that are either playing out of position, or missing out all together, Allen, Brander, Williams.

This moment in time has been coming since the end of 2018. The club, supporters and media have known for a couple of years that we would end up in this place. Now we have committed to playing young tall talent out of position in order to keep JK in his position, despite diminishing returns from his output.

Here's an article from a couple of weeks ago that pretty much lays it all out there, and is somewhat prescient in terms of the situation we are currently in.

The bones of it is, at what point do we say "JK is no longer best 22"?

The difference, however, at least to me, is I’m not accepting that JK’s output is diminishing, not until we properly see him this season.

My biggest disappointment was NN.He needs to get smarter.He didnt dummy his run once!!Whats the point of leaping to your utmost against giants like Witts just to maybe get a finger to the ball all the while being off balance and not landing clean enough or quick enough to give that second effort which is his strength..If your all over a ruckman then yes but Witts kept hitting the body he wasnt even watching the ball half the time.NN should just let him leap and shark his taps.Port flogged this mob because they bullied them.we dont bully weak sides;we just go out there to play bruise free footy and it comes back to bite us on the bum.
Brander..your just one of twenty odd crabs but youve demonstrated a few time now a tendency to take short steps when a tougher approach is needed.Your a big boy trying to establish himself in the side.Not a good look.
The side almost looked insulted that these young punks were getting in their face.Get used to it!!!

I get that Kennedy was not amazing but I feel like that is partly the fault of the midfield being unclean with their skills. Fumbles lead to rushed kicks. In the first quarter and a half, where we were at least in the game, I thought Kennedy looked ok.

I get that Kennedy was not amazing but I feel like that is partly the fault of the midfield being unclean with their skills. Fumbles lead to rushed kicks. In the first quarter and a half, where we were at least in the game, I thought Kennedy looked ok.

But why was the midfield ineffective?

Could it be because we have our 2017 Kennedy clones running around out of position?

Our balance is off, and that starts and ends with JK kicking on when perhaps we should have seen the writing on the wall at the end of last year.

Do we really want one of our top 5 all time players going in a sad way ala Roughhead last year?

Our commitment to playing JK and his replacements all in the same team is not a great strategy.

We had 4 KPF+ NicNat on the field on Saturday. Then you add in McGovern and Barass and we have 7/22 who are all above 190cm.

Forecast for next Saturday in Brisbane is for a few showers so another slippery set of conditions coming up.
Not sure how we can become comfortable in these conditions in a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Predicted rain is pretty low. About 20-30% chance of rain.

71% humidity is the bigger issue I think.

Make what you will from it but the facts are that kennedy has touched the ball 9 times, taken 6 marks, laid 1 tackle and kicked a grand total of 1 goal from 2 games.

And his opponents?

Melbourne and Gold Coast.

All the while coming off an injury free, full pre season, and trimmed down physique.

After the bath he got from Logue and now being well held by Sam Collins and Oscar Mcdonald of all people, its not going to get any easier for him.

Last edited:
Make what you will from it but the facts are that kennedy has touched the ball 9 times, taken 6 marks, laid 1 tackle and kicked a grand total of 1 goal from 2 games.

And his opponents?

Melbourne and Gold Coast.

All the while coming off an injury free, full pre season, and trimmed down physique.
but, but....

He did give that one goal off to Shuey :drunk:

Pains to say this but JK hasn't looked right for a while now. I mean he did look fit in the lead up to the season but he really has lost a touch of pace and it will hurt us through the season.

We are not desperate to have him in the team as we have a perfect replacement in Oscar Allen who is being wasted as backup ruck to Nic Nat.

But why was the midfield ineffective?

Could it be because we have our 2017 Kennedy clones running around out of position?

Our balance is off, and that starts and ends with JK kicking on when perhaps we should have seen the writing on the wall at the end of last year.

Do we really want one of our top 5 all time players going in a sad way ala Roughhead last year?

Our commitment to playing JK and his replacements all in the same team is not a great strategy.

We had 4 KPF+ NicNat on the field on Saturday. Then you add in McGovern and Barass and we have 7/22 who are all above 190cm.

Ideally Brander would not be on a wing, but having an ineffective wingman does not excuse the rest of the midfield.

I am not saying that Kennedy will ever be at his peak again. However, I don't think he was as bad as is being made out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back