Review Positives and Negatives vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Oscar Allen is some player.

Meets the ball at its peak and a lovely kick.
Was a pretty high standard game until GC started to tire I thought.

Really liked Will Powell for them

In an ideal world sure drop a tall for a small but the tall forwards are much better players than the small forwards. It should fix itself end of this year when Kennedy retires, but at this stage you can't drop any of Kennedy Darling or Allen

Early days but we need our best team not our best players.

Major negative for me is our game style, when it works it is great, but I feel like we are getting left behind by a lot of teams. Our reluctance to attack through the corridor is very frustrating, especially because we are at our most dangerous when we burst with overlapping runs and quick handballs/kicks.

In addition, for three quarters yesterday we were consistently beaten to the second ball. It's no use throwing 3 blokes at a contest if one simple handball or tap on takes them all out of the game, Suns looked faster and younger (which they are) for a lot of the game. When the marks don't stick we look in trouble.

In the positives, our composure and foot skills got us over the line in the end.

Major negative for me is our game style, when it works it is great, but I feel like we are getting left behind by a lot of teams. Our reluctance to attack through the corridor is very frustrating, especially because we are at our most dangerous when we burst with overlapping runs and quick handballs/kicks.

In addition, for three quarters yesterday we were consistently beaten to the second ball. It's no use throwing 3 blokes at a contest if one simple handball or tap on takes them all out of the game, Suns looked faster and younger (which they are) for a lot of the game. When the marks don't stick we look in trouble.

In the positives, our composure and foot skills got us over the line in the end.

Interesting thought...I thought the quality of your smalls was one of the differences.
GC don't seem to have high quality smalls up front.
Ryan and Cripps were always a threat...didn't really get the same impression from Sexton etc.

Also Sam Day is such a meh footballer...he's Taberner without the "exciting" variability.

Ben King had a bad 3rd quarter where he s**t the bed on every mark...could've made a big difference

Oscar Allen is some player.

Meets the ball at its peak and a lovely kick.
Was a pretty high standard game until GC started to tire I thought.

Really liked Will Powell for them
Looking at the stats they collectively out ran us but i guess our class and general fitness got us over in the end

Coaches are ordinary at best not altering game plan with new rules

I was pleased to see us moving on from last years structures & the spread of shots on goal is a big plus when looking at how opposition teams might look to restricting our scoring.

It was my first game since 2019 - my old man is Covid high risk so we sat it out last year - it’s funny the little things you forget about being at the game.

One bloke near me shouts ‘50!!!’ After every Eagles mark and ‘DELIBERATE!!!’ every time an opponent puts it out of bound. He is also outraged by every. single. free kick.

He gets them right once or twice a game and I can hear him saying ‘told ya! Didn’t I say???’ to what I’m assuming is a friend or wife married to this broken clock.

So I’m listing him as a -ve please.

Watching the replay now - jeez the commentators were shell shocked about Matt Rowell getting injured.

Garry Lyon just called it ‘surreal’

They need to calm down a bit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hai Gaiz :raisinghand:

+ Sat in me new seats up in section 544 nosebleeds. Good bar vicinity. Few oldies trying to be comedians calling out funnies behind me, didn't mind that.

+ Cole was BOG for mine. Barely lost a contest. Was so clutch and clean and cut off so many of the suns dangerous attacks it's not even funny.

+ Oscar was a lord, bare in mind he's dominating their 3rd best defender whilst Kennedy is struggling on Collins.

+ Darling was absolutely hilarious as usual. Never a dull moment watching that bloke live. One minute he wets his pants under a small amount of pressure and cooks a handball. Reiterating to everyone his hands in close are the worst in the league. The next minute he's dropping chestmarks up on the wing. Then he's doing an absolute MOUNTAIN of work up and down on side of the ground providing a contest, often outnumbered. Then he's falling over allowing his man to take an intercept mark, only to get back up and pull down a great grab he had absolutely no business taking. Then he's burning Oscar Allen not once, but twice.

+ Kelly and Sheed to me didn't look like having a huge impact. Lots of meh touches without and actual dominance on the game, but their stats really don't lie.

• Kelly 28 touches, 10 contested, 3 tackles, 5 clearances, 13 score involvements, 592 metres gained and 114 ranking points.
  • Sheed 34 touches, 11 contested, 3 tackles, 9 clearances, 7 score invovements, 644 metres gained and (surprisingly 98) ranking points

Sheed had the most contested posessions on the ground. Nicnat and Kelly had the next most.

+ Naitanui was a barometer as usual. His bullocking and clearance work was outstanding. 6 clearances himself. I'd groan every time i saw Vardy lumbering onto the ground because you just knew Fold Coast was going to take control of the game again until NN was back on.

+ Hurn was bloody good. Tommy Barrass i rated. His maturity as a player is coming on right in front of our eyes. Takes on so much responsibility allowing fatboy McGovern to be a loose checking pudding.

- I miss the Red Bull 👦 Kid barely got a crack. He's the goat and we missed an opportunity to witness his greatness live.

- Fold Coast controlled the game. Made our oldies chase their fit opponents for the majority of the day. I'm tempted to say they were the better team for the majority of the contest, but were wasteful in front of goals just like we were. I'm grateful we jumped out of the blocks the way we did, i'll say that much.

- Yeah look, i'm happy the bloke took that sweet grab in front of Witts and converted a really important goal, but spuddy Vardy's 3 disposals, 0 tackles, 1 hitout game really isn't going to cut the mustard. I mean ONE hitout??? ONE? In 52% TOG. Boy oh boy wowee. Wish i didn't have a small peen legs and could be an AFL ruckman.

- Duggan was crap. Normal programming has resumed sans mullet. Couldn't get involved. Cooked plenty of people with his disposal, and didn't lay a tackle.

- Nelson deciding to ignore a quick handball to a teammate next to him, and decide to take on the tackler and get wrapped up. Happened time and time and time again. It's frusrating to say the least.

- Several real spud moments from senior players. Duggan, Cripps, Redden, Kennedy all doing silly things which hurt us bad. Redden bizarrely taking tacklers on, Cripps decision making, Duggans disposal and decision making

- Petrucelle with the best Houdini impersonation you will ever see. Got involved in the last which is better late than never though. Clutch tackle.

4 points is 4 points campaigners. We did what Geelong and Brisbane failed to do against their much less fancied opponents.

For that Simpson and Nesbitt get another week.

+ I like NN staying on the ground more at centre bounces.Some ruckmen just look at him and do what he does instead of watching the ball.Any ruck that tries to match NN on the ground is in trouble.
- We seemed to be getting killed in the middle yet Kelly,Sheed and Xon all did well.
-Vintage Hurn.
-Cole really wants his spot.
-Barass was terrific.
-Langton charging in to the forward line and lollying a little lob pass.One of the few times we lowered our eyes.
-At half time we were getting our arse kicked with a few players hardly touching the ball yet we were within points.Job done in the end.
-s
-Cripps looked lethargic and didnt put a lot of effort in early.
-Petrol was soft at times.Mate ya cant just attack the ball at speed when theres noone in front of you.Ya have to get bruised occasionally.With that sort of speed and balance you should go on the ground with your first aim being 15 tackles.LEARN...TO...TACKLE!!!
-Sheed your on my s**t list coz you bomb the ball too much.have a quick look occasionally.
-We dont seem to understand the consequences of the new man on the mark rule.It can buy you time,it can help you get settled.We are a highly skilled team;this rule should suit us down to the ground.
-Lower the eyes.If ya haven't got that little brain cell connected then give the f##king ball to Ryan.He looks everytime.
-Instead of policing the 15m kick rule from 11-15m the AFL should police it from 13-17m.Doesnt need change just needs tweaking.Some of those weekend 10-12m kicks were a joke.
-Nelson got a great rap yet i thought he needs to look more and trust his left more.

.....Twas a good hitout.Our stars were good.Its our bottom 4-5 players where we could be exposed.Petrol wont keep getting a game unless he gets involved more.Cole needs to play at or near that level consistently.Nelson needs to be more confident in himself ;he has all the weapons.Rotham is good in the air but needs to keep his balance on the ground.Watch Shepherd how he operates at ground level.Langton was ok,doesnt seem to read the ball very well off packs.

Gold Coast are no longer easy beats and will cause headaches for many clubs.
To win by 25pts when down in the last qtr shows how fit a team we are. Even in 33-34 degree heat we ran the game out and banked 4 pts at 143%.

Petrucelle, hello the games started mate.
Vardy, really wanted him to do well and play with a bit of form. Oh well.
Redden, got a bit more of the ball than I thought but geez he makes some bad decisions and turnovers. Did some good things as well though.

O Allen you star. got us a good one there.
Sheed and Kelly guns that run all day. Get a fit shuey and Yeo in there and look out.
If our backline stays fit we are a chance to go very deep in finals.

Feel for poor Rowell, hope he doesn't have the injury curse as we will be missing out on seeing a talent.

I thought the performance up until three quarter time was very concerning from the perspective that we were getting smashed again for ground-ball gets by a young side missing a very good player out injured. This is a real issue for us going forward regardless of the end result.

+ People don't appreciate how lucky we are to have three quality tall forwards and especially a young emerging FF in Allen. Please no more talk about playing him as a pinch ruck. Throwing a quality young FF into the ruck is like throwing good money after bad. Keeping Allen close to the goals gives us our best marking power on a lead and allows Kennedy to play a secondary role (which he did very well with two goals from 4 shots - I really don't get the criticism).

+ Ryan is a match winner even when he isn't doing "flashy" things. There was a point late in the game where he closed space to equalize a contest up the ground against two taller opponents in a marking contest. He recovered first then tapped the ball clear to advantage resulting eventually in what I think might have been Vardy's goal. Instead of a rebound situation he managed to keep momentum going our way in a way that was so unpretentious the commentary didn't even acknowledge it.

+ Cole - excellent
+ Hurn - excellent
+ Sheed - excellent
+ Kelly - excellent
+ Xon - great game
+/- Cripps sucked for the best part of three quarters but kept at it and was a contributor in the end.

- Petch I feel the Match committee keep playing him based on what he could be rather than what he is. The bronx cheer for his handballed first possession says it all.
- I haven't seen the replay but it just felt like McGovern was really average. Not his imposing best by any stretch
- Back up ruck. They continue to struggle to have impact and its virtually costing us a rotation. I dunno what the answer is.
- The Yeo injury is killing us where we can least afford it.. grunt at the coalface

Last edited:
- Duggan was crap. Normal programming has resumed sans mullet. Couldn't get involved. Cooked plenty of people with his disposal, and didn't lay a tackle.

- Nelson deciding to ignore a quick handball to a teammate next to him, and decide to take on the tackler and get wrapped up. Happened time and time and time again. It's frusrating to say the least.

Duggan was wasteful and his pressure was not where we need it to be. Hopefully he improves and finds a better feel for the pace of it in there.

Hard disagree with potting Nelson. The only one in multiple strings of hot potato who tried to do something instead of make it the next blokes problem. Needs to stop trying to push blokes off. It's an error of technique, not mindset. Remember son, it's called a "straight arm" for a reason. 4 score involvements and 6 intercept possessions from the guy playing the most defensive role out of the smalls. Plays within his limits much more consistently. He's coming on really well IMO. Reliable cog is good cog.

Positive : Barrass' new Tony Galati hair do. He's focused the 2020 spud powers he acquired last year into the top of his head, freeing up the rest of his body to take contested grabs.

Bitch please! Barrass is stunning.

69b9cf8953eb57061d5a120c92ecaa23.jpg

Positives:

* Allan is our future #1 forward. Wouldnt mind seeing Kennedy omitted a few times this year to see how he handles the mantle
* Kelly had good bookend performances
* Nic needs to be told to just gather the ball himself and bullock through the oppo mids. No one can stop him one-on-one
* We arent Geelong

Negatives:

* Mids and general gameplan woeful for majority of the game. Both need tweaking
* Duggan unsighted. Thought he would make a great mid preseason, but evidently needs more practice
* Far too many passengers in the side, but no one available to replace them
* Hot day + close game = Bulldogs are going to smash us by 50+ points next week

What is the -tve on the game plan?

I actually believe we played a '1st round' + 'hot day' game plan where we slowed the play down with the kick mark game more so than normal .i.e. on a cooler day we would have played a more running game.

+tves

Oscar
O'Neil
Kelly
Hurn
Sheed
No injuries
4 points

-tves
Petro. MUST be dropped to the WAFL until he learns some basic football skills in finding the ball. Simply cannot carry a player who does not touch the ball or lay a tackle in half a game of football. With a weaker midfield we should be playing another mid or a forward who can pinch hit in the middle aka J Jones.

Last edited:
Think you are all discounting the weather as a issue as Gold Coast were crap too really. Was brutally hot. A disgrace to play a game at 3PM in W.A in March. No care for player welfare at all.

The only negative I have is Petrucelle not reading the game. Not a weather issue. Just a football smarts issue. Bring Jones in for next week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back