Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs GWS - Rd 13, 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Positives +
  • Nic Nat doing what he does best. Cyril Rioli like impact with less disposals even if he finished with 14 and giving us a scoring opportunity from stoppages. Deserves AA this year but selectors may only look at statistics not actual impact.
  • Gov, saved our bacon again and surely can still get AA if he continues to perform like that despite missing games with injury and suspension.
  • Rotham, was solid and took a couragous mark when GWS had the momentum. Him in the side frees up McGovern and Barrass.
  • Barrass didn't do much but was still solid in defense keeping Cameron goalless.
  • Brander, starting to come nicely and is using the ball well and took strong marks.
  • Tim Kelly's touches have been gold in this game and greatly benefited from Nic Nat's silver service.
  • Sheppard destroyed Greene and won the footy himself.
  • Shuey was solid.
  • Duggan's kicking has significantly improved.
  • AhChee's ball use and decision making improving and did well this game like he kicked it to an open Gaff instead of an under pressure Shuey.
  • XON definitely AFL standard unlike Ains*****.
  • Darling took some strong marks and converted his chances.
  • JK was ok and killed some contests when outnumbered. Wasted some getable shots.
  • Ryan, even if he was quiet, he bought the ball to ground and assisted some scores even if he didn't kick a goal.
  • We did well without Yeo and Redden.
  • Cripps effort and pressure has been great this game.
  • Forward pressure and team pressure has been good in the game although we've dropped off a bit but this maybe because we're saving our energy against Richmond since we're coming off a four day break.
Negatives -
  • We're soo bad in the wet. GWS started to get momentum back when it's wet. Richmond or whoever we're up against will be favourites against us if we play like this in slippery QLD.
  • Allen was pretty quiet.
This is actually a dry period for Qld. Could get a bit of dew but Mostly dry. Wet season is summer

Dylan82 do you have the midfield/wing break down? Interested to see how many times Cole lined up on a wing.

Must be a very low base if people are saying Duggan's kicking has improved. Still misses way too many targets, some under no pressure and some that put teammates under unnecessary pressure.

Finally got to see the full replay.

+
Gov at his best - so good.
Nic great again.
Ah Chee probably his best game for us.
Brander finally looking comfortable.
Darling has found his mojo.
Rotham really solid.

-
Midfield probably down on individual stand outs.
Margin got a bit tight in the end but was never really in doubt - flattered the Giants.
Commentary highlights including ‘Liam Henry’, ‘Bobby Kelly’, ‘Tim Ryan’ (a new one!)

Cole still makes me clinch up when he gets near it
I don't understand this at all?

He's probably a tidier kick than Duggan over his career, although Duggan is kicking it slightly better now. Cole can lay massive tackles if he's second to the ball and he will body line the ball. I love seeing him attack it at ground level, never gives away free kicks either.

Miguel Sanchez has been doing this

Haven’t done it for this game yet but was paying attention to it while the game was on. It seemed like Brander was starting each quarter on the wing, then he’d go forward and Nelson would come off the bench onto the wing, then later in the quarter he’d switch with Cole. So at a guess Cole would’ve started 25-33% of the bounces there.

Q4 Nic & stoppage connection Gifs (Q1 page 3, Q2 page 4, Q3 page 5):

Q4 Bonus Gifs:

I'm intrigued about the instructions Brander seems to be operating under. I sat on the broadcast side wing and twice the same thing happened. The ball was chipped to the back pocket for a mark. Ahead along the boundary line were Brander and an opponent. He made no effort to lead or call for the ball. Other players like Sheed and Kelly came over and Brander then jogged into the square, not really keeping an eye on the ball. Eventually the ball was kicked from the back pocket to a contest where we didn't really have a marking target. Happening once was a little odd, but twice seemed predetermined. But why would you remove a 195cm player from a one on one and send him out of the contest to be replaced with smaller non marking types? And he appeared to be going to a particular place that I couldn't really see as offensive or defensive. Brander's main attribute as a winger is his height, he towers over most of his opponents, so why wouldn't we exploit that?
I noticed this too and thought it was strange.
He turned his back on the play and ran into the middle of the ground, just to the forward side of the centre square.
It was as if he was a full forward trying to get back from a wing, except he just ran into a relatively conservative position in the middle of the ground.
Trying to track it down on Kayo without luck.
If I had to guess, he was assuming a defensive position in the middle of the ground (as Masto often used to in that wing role) in case we lost the next contest. From memory, this was in the last quarter when GWS had all of the momentum so we may have been trying to stem the bleeding?
I can't think of another explanation for why one of our marking targets might run away from the ball like that. It certainly appeared to be a reaction to instructions.

Last edited:
Isn't that the defensive wing role that Masto used to play? e.g. fill the corridor in case there's a turnover, get on ya bike i50 if the ball's retained?

Know that's not utilising Brander's height, but I'd rather him doing the thankless running than wasting one of our other mids in the off chance that he takes a contested pack mark down the line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nic's been awesome but my positive here is jack. Don't wanna jinx him but he's improved 10 spots in the last month. His due for big one soon
View attachment 944358
Jacks moved into the top 50 for the first time in his career. Easy to see why. He’s an accurate kick, and brings others into the game. I’ve often felt he’s a barometer for the side as much as Nic.

speaking of Nic, he’s #5 in the AFL for their player ratings this year. (Minimum 8 games) This system is one that can come close to rating his impact as it does relate to contested ball, score involvements and scoring chains. Things he is elite at.

He’s ranked at 161 from 21 rateable games. He will be back to top 10 if he keeps at this rate for the next year. (Rates off the last 40 matches) It’s phenomenal to think this is a guy who’s had 2 knee reco’s.

Last edited:
Been nervous to speak up about Reid on here, watched him closely yesterday- he's very slow to react and was running in circles. Apart from that tackle last week, he's done nothing to hold his spot I feel.

Don't be nervous kent, we welcome differing opinions on this board. Just make sure you delete your account after you post :thumbsupemoji:

You won't find many people expecting a huge deal from Reid. He's coming from a looong way back as everyone knows and has done well with the tools and talent he's got filling in at the highest level. He's earned plenty of fans for playing his role when we've needed him to, but nobody would think he's best 22.

He's clearly not who we want in the team going forward. The minute Waterman or Cameron regain fitness/form they should be straight back in.

Jacks moved into the top 50 for the first time in his career. Easy to see why. He’s an accurate kick, and brings others into the game. I’ve often felt he’s a barometer for the side as much as Nic.

speaking of Nic, he’s #5 in the AFL for their player ratings this year. (Minimum 8 games) This system is one that can come close to rating his impact as it does relate to contested ball, score involvements and scoring chains. Things he is elite at.

He’s ranked at 161 from 21 rateable games. He will be back to top 10 if he keeps at this rate for the next year. (Rates off the last 40 matches) It’s phenomenal to think this is a guy who’s had 2 knee reco’s.

Not that player ratings are the be all and end all but from memory he was in the top 10 when he did his first knee.

Isn't that the defensive wing role that Masto used to play? e.g. fill the corridor in case there's a turnover, get on ya bike i50 if the ball's retained?

Know that's not utilising Brander's height, but I'd rather him doing the thankless running than wasting one of our other mids in the off chance that he takes a contested pack mark down the line.

Quite possibly, but it makes sense that Masten would do that as marking was hardly a strength of his. Running all day was. As for Brander he's a very different type of player and if we wanted a Masten clone he ain't the man.

Not that player ratings are the be all and end all but from memory he was in the top 10 when he did his first knee.
He was. I think his highest was 4 IIRC.
Cue the usual conversations around him not taking any marks and it being a downside of his game- it’s his ability to win the contested ball, generate scoring chains and scores is as good as any of the elite midfielders.

To have done his knees and still get to that level is just ridiculous.

Brander had the highest recoreded sprint, (33kph from memory) and the most metres gained on the ground by a long way.

He also put up a sexy contested pack mark, a don't argue, and sold a bit of cheeky candy on the mark.

Apart from having good endurance and being a board whipping boy at times, he's a completely different 195cm beast to Marsden.

Brander had the highest recoreded sprint, (33kph from memory)

Going off-topic for a moment, I do wonder about these sprint speeds that are recorded and their accuracy, because to be honest they are not quick.

Granted, I come from a running background, but I'm 38 and can still exceed 35kph over 30m routinely each time I train or play.

Considering the fitness profiles out there in the competition, I would have expected top speeds that are well in excess of what is being reported.

Going off-topic for a moment, I do wonder about these sprint speeds that are recorded and their accuracy, because to be honest they are not quick.

Granted, I come from a running background, but I'm 38 and can still exceed 35kph over 30m routinely each time I train or play.

Considering the fitness profiles out there in the competition, I would have expected top speeds that are well in excess of what is being reported.
From what I’m told by a sport science academic, the GPS data for the afl is apparently very inaccurate and is really just there as fluff for the fans

checkmate anoos

1598333112101.png

Some observations:
- Allen didn't take a single centre bounce in the second half, presumably because of the hip/glute injury he suffered in the first. That probably explains NicNat's record time on ground as well.
- As I thought, Brander was starting each quarter on the wing but a few minutes into the quarter was shifting forward, where he played a Waterman-like lead-up role.
- Brander's spot was then taken by either Nelson or Cole.
- O'Neill was actually in the middle less than I thought. Still got a few rotations in there though.
- Gaff doesn't rest, actually he had 100% time on ground. Insane.

I only look at the Telstra tracker for most distance, team distance, most sprints, distance at high speed, repeat sprints, and team sprints compared to opposition.

Top speed has always been wrong, but I figure they're accurate over long times, but can't pick up quick changes in speed.

I think the total distances and the average speeds will be fairly accurate.

PS: Brander also had that sexy half volley on the wing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back