Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs GWS - Rd 16, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Gaff - 41 disposals.
Redden - 32 disposals.
Yeo - 32 disposals.
Shuey - 32 disposals.

Huge effort from the four when we really needed them. Shuey, especiallyy finding form when we badly needed him to.

Hurn was also bloody good down back. A total general who has had an amazing season.

Willie's selfless game needs appreciation too.

Also, Oscar Allen in his first game looked like a natural. Showed some bloody good signs down back.
I take back everything I said over the last couple of seasons when I doubted Hurns ability as captain. He is tremendous and is showing such strong leadership these days - I was wrong!

Positive:
Venables laid six or so tackles, so he knows he needs to apply pressure even if he’s not getting the ball.

I think we need to prep this kid to play full time midfield over the preseason. He’s not going to get enough of the footy on the forward line.

Ainsworth has clean hands which is a nice change for mids that we have recruited lately. Not overly fussed about his kicking yet. As long as his handballing/chucking is accurate.

Positive:
Venables laid six or so tackles, so he knows he needs to apply pressure even if he’s not getting the ball.

I think we need to prep this kid to play full time midfield over the preseason. He’s not going to get enough of the footy on the forward line.

Ainsworth has clean hands which is a nice change for mids that we have recruited lately. Not overly fussed about his kicking yet. As long as his handballing/chucking is accurate.
Get him in the Guts for Ep asap, while also rotating forward.

Kicking aside Ainsworth showed a fair bit. The kid knows how to put his hands on the footy. Ran hard all day too I thought.

Positives-

Backline were impassable if they got set up. Bunga had them humming and Schoey played his best game in recent memory. Cole and Duggle seen to be settled and able to soak up pressure like 100 gamers.

Midfield and Naita really turned up to play. We had to get supply and these guys kept battling the whole night. Shuey finding the go button was a huge relief. Reddog was huge in the contest and on the spread.

The group gritted their teeth and got it done after GWS headed us on the scoreboard.

Negatives-

Our defence on transition through the midfield is still rubbish. Carved up like Sunday dinner far too often, straight up the corridor. Really hangs our defenders out to dry.

We are battling to generate enough shots. Really need to give the mids more license to have a ping if it's not working. At least it gets the ball deep and gives us a chance to set our press up.

Our setups at the contest seem really easily exploited by most sides. We are pretty strong at bounces but general play we get flogged. GWS were a real cut above with fast hands getting the ball outside for a more precise kick. We have yo hit and hope a lot when we get out hands on it.

GWS were a real cut above with fast hands getting the ball outside for a more precise kick. We have yo hit and hope a lot when we get out hands on it.
It’s what separates us from the best sides really. We waste so many good clearance opportunities and HO to adv because we just slap it on the boot rather than move it outside by hand

It’s what separates us from the best sides really. We waste so many good clearance opportunities and HO to adv because we just slap it on the boot rather than move it outside by hand
Still trying to unlearn Priddis' influence, or maybe it's due to the luxury of having two good key forwards around most of the time. JK and JD's ability to get to the ball covers a lot of the rubbish delivery.

+ The four points, in a close game where we fell behind in the last.
Oscar looks a great find.
Gaff, Redden, Yeo & Shuey were huge.
Hurn still a beast.
Cole & Duggan should hopefully lead the HBF for years to come, both were great today I thought.
Nic Nat improving from the last two weeks.

-Ainsworth's kicking action is horrendous.
-Forward line still lacks cohesion without one of Darling or Kennedy, though today was a huge step up.
-Cripps is incredibly dumb.
-DV rusty after injury, but it's only game five tbf.
-We were lucky at times with GWS missing some easy shots. Other days we might not get that luxury

What's the deal with your Trump avatar? Is that serious or ironic?

He has always been known to be a poor kick of the footy. That kicking action, looks like something a 10 year old would do. How did he get so far in the system with no one saying to him how bad it was? Or maybe they did and he couldn't change it?

Hopefully as he gets older, a permanent inside role can be found for him, to minimise his kicking and the potential for turnovers.

I agree, his ball drop isn't easy on the eye, but does it matter that much if his kick is efficient enough? AFL draft guru Kevin Sheehan assessed Ainsworth as:

“a hardworking and prolific ball-winning medium midfielder who uses the ball extremely well on his preferred left side”.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...h/news-story/d4313a95c82e85a3a8be23713874c5a3

From memory, Ainsworth was the number 1 ranked player for clearances in the U/18's carnival and was picked in the U/18 All Australian side.

If all you are looking at in his game is his ball drop, you aren't ever going to like him. Look out for his offensive and defensive running, his willingness to put his body on the line, his smarts in traffic, his vision, particularly with handball, and his ability to read the play. Is also a good overhead mark for his size.

On the issue of his ball drop, I just can't see him changing it at this stage of his career.

EDIT: Just read Monocle's post who said the club changed Cousin's kicking action, so I guess they can.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree, his ball drop isn't easy on the eye, but does it matter that much if his kick is efficient enough? AFL draft guru Kevin Sheehan assessed Ainsworth as:

“a hardworking and prolific ball-winning medium midfielder who uses the ball extremely well on his preferred left side”.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...h/news-story/d4313a95c82e85a3a8be23713874c5a3

From memory, Ainsworth was the number 1 ranked player for clearances in the U/18's carnival.

If all you are looking at in his game is his ball drop, you aren't ever going to like him. Look out for his offensive and defensive running, his willingness to put his body on the line, his smarts in traffic, his vision, particularly with handball, and his ability to read the play. Is also a good overhead mark for his size.

On the issue of his ball drop, I just can't see him changing it at this stage of his career.
Don't get me wrong. He has some solid AFL attributes that I rate highlyand It's encouraging that Sheehan has that to say about him, but much of him did he see? Surely he would have noted that ball drop.

Don't get me wrong. He has some solid AFL attributes that I rate highlyand It's encouraging that Sheehan has that to say about him, but much of him did he see? Surely he would have noted that ball drop.

He is a draft guru, so I'd say plenty. I might ring up his Esperance club and ask them what the story was.

Ainsworth pops so many of his kicks in the air, it's frustrating to watch. He looks the goods apart from that, but it's a barrier the club needs to fix if he's ever going to be a top liner.

He popped that one up to Rioli in the last quarter, but I thought it was a well weighted kick to Rioli's advantage. He also likes the stab passes.

Liked

Our tactics ...three rucks worked ...it’s insane and it might not work all the time

Vardy was ok .....some nice work in and under
The midfield clicked today ..Shuey back to his best
Gaff is an absolute superstar

Disliked .....too often we bombed the ball high ...lower the eyes lads

What's the deal with your Trump avatar? Is that serious or ironic?
Had it since he got voted in. I'll have it until 2020 unless he gets a second term, in which case I'll have it another four years.

Semi serious in answer to your question. I was more anti Hillary than pro Trump so to speak.

+ NN with 8 tackles

+ Hurn has to be an AA captain lock by now surely. Extremely good leadership skills, took him a little while to grow into the role but he's become one of the best, if not the best, in the comp from that perspective.

+ Can finally start watching replays again

Would love for someone to hold me the same way Marsden holds a teammate after a goal :(

608939_gp.jpg

Vardy was pretty decent in the ruck, had quite a few tap-ons around ground that won't be on the statsheet either. Hate to say it but his connection with the mids is better than Lycett. If he can lift his production around ground a bit more, he might challenge for a spot in the 22.

Just one example of us having actual depth these days. Feels nice

I take back everything I said over the last couple of seasons when I doubted Hurns ability as captain. He is tremendous and is showing such strong leadership these days - I was wrong!

Are you going to keep repeating this for 1-2 years to match the number of posts against his captaincy?

Or when you are wrong, just one apology is enough.

Posivites
Gaff - BOG enough said. Just give him what he wants, plus a car, new house and private jet
Redden, Shuey and Yeo - Superb
Hutchings - Well done kept Kelly quite and kicked two goals
Oscar allen - Loved his work
Tom Cole - Same
Ball movement was better

Negatives
Jetta - Still lazy does not do enough
Vardy - if JK and Darling are good to go then out

Remove this Banner Ad

Back