Autopsy Positives and Negatives Vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

No. It wasn't 'courage'.

Seriously, watch it again. He had no idea. He was out of position and didn't read the play well. Got cleaned up. Lacking awareness is not courage.

Load of crap.

That's courage mate, going back with the flight with no idea what's coming. That's how Beau played and how more of our players need to be.

Thought it was a good effort against a much better side. There is just a few things that irk me about this team.

Surprise surprise...match selection. Hill over Lamb is just strange. Cripps is right out of touch. As bad as Nelson has been and he probably needed a spell Cripps was at that level weeks ago.

Gaff - been said a few times here and I have been critical of his 2017 as a whole but todays game was the worst in a while. No speed, no strength and poorly skilled. If his kicking is because he covers so much ground then there is no point in covering it. Would prefer they force him to cover less km's at top speed in games and stop the cruising because it is beyond useless.
He asks for the ball on his right side with no right foot. Asks for the ball off of another player and has no plan wth where it goes to next.
The goal that Shiel kicked from the boundary summed it up. Gaff went in with him to that scrap but doesn't keep body on him and plays Russian roulette with him and ball spills to Shiel he runs off and goals. Even if the ball had spilled to Gaff would anything half as dangerous as what Shiel could do with the ball have happened? A 20m sideways kick that makes the player run back into a contest to receive it?
He is a momentum killer stat padding cruiser at the moment. He is an offensive mid because his defensive game is negligible but where is the hurt going to come from?

More and more this game is going to require burst players who don't have to be quick but think quick and perhaps have a good first step and penetration on the kicking. He has none of this.

Jetta - been a big fan of his renewed form but today was shocking. Would have been beaten to a ball by an Auskicker.

We put this sort of effort and we should actually beat Adelaide.

We need shuey and Gaff to join the rest of our mids tbh.

Positive: Kennedy sealed AA selection converting his 4th after that collision with Kelly. Not easy to do, absolute clutch. Possibly the best play of his career, will make every JKK highlights real from here to eternity.
This was number 1, tbh

Positives (from best):
+JK
+Yeo
+Priddis played his best (or maybe top 2) game of the year (even though some of his disposal was awful, and got 1 soft goal, he was still ON for once this season)
+Petrie if you divided a players performance by their salary, this guy would be in the top 10 for best bang for your buck in the competition.
+Shep
+Redden
+The defence as a unit (dropping Nelson to swing Yeo back is SOOOO much better, even though Nelson has been OK and good experience for him)
+Parto looking soooooo much better than I think I could ever have hoped for such little AFL experience, gets into great spaces, in the heat makes effective disposals to his teammates. He could teach his teammates a thing or two.
+We lost so there's no chance Simmo will risk Nicnat next w/e

Negatives (from worst, to least):
-If we played like that all year we'd be top 4.
-Hill - delist
-Jetta - slap him, he SHOULD be so much better than he has been, too unreliable for what is going to turn up each week
-Gaff - learn to kick, learn to handball, FFS, you are ELITE, play like it, if you can't tackle at AFL level you have to at least be able to pass the ball without turning it over or putting your teammates under immediate and surefire pressure. Plenty of homework for you in the offseason mate.
-Vardy - 2018 depth -can't even tap to his teammates advantage when the umpire tells GWS they have not nominated a ruck to contest

Frustrating AF Negative:
-Cripps - (a lot less negative than the above) spend the ENTIRE preseason learning to kick, otherwise you are going to be depth when Rioli and Venables are fit in 2018, yes you are an impressive elite fitness player, that kicks some goals, but your kicking skills (and decision making) when passing are unreliable and it kills us.

Last edited:
Thought it was a good effort against a much better side. There is just a few things that irk me about this team.

Surprise surprise...match selection. Hill over Lamb is just strange. Cripps is right out of touch. As bad as Nelson has been and he probably needed a spell Cripps was at that level weeks ago.

Gaff - been said a few times here and I have been critical of his 2017 as a whole but todays game was the worst in a while. No speed, no strength and poorly skilled. If his kicking is because he covers so much ground then there is no point in covering it. Would prefer they force him to cover less km's at top speed in games and stop the cruising because it is beyond useless.
He asks for the ball on his right side with no right foot. Asks for the ball off of another player and has no plan wth where it goes to next.
The goal that Shiel kicked from the boundary summed it up. Gaff went in with him to that scrap but doesn't keep body on him and plays Russian roulette with him and ball spills to Shiel he runs off and goals. Even if the ball had spilled to Gaff would anything half as dangerous as what Shiel could do with the ball have happened? A 20m sideways kick that makes the player run back into a contest to receive it?
He is a momentum killer stat padding cruiser at the moment. He is an offensive mid because his defensive game is negligible but where is the hurt going to come from?

More and more this game is going to require burst players who don't have to be quick but think quick and perhaps have a good first step and penetration on the kicking. He has none of this.

Jetta - been a big fan of his renewed form but today was shocking. Would have been beaten to a ball by an Auskicker.
We have 99 problems but Gaff aint one...........

Kelly wasn't courageous by strolling into the forward 50 and having a ball conveniently kicked over his head. He didn't even know JK was there FFS. It wasn't an intentional act of courage at all, it was just bad luck. Personally i think it's more impressive that JK managed to hold onto the mark, then kick the goal.

And no it isn't the same as Beau Waters, who knows he's going to get cleaned up and puts himself in that position on purpose, Kelly did it by accident.

That being said, the fact he got back up after being absolutely s**t MIXED, miraculously returned to the field and STILL had an impact on the game after everything that happened, just speaks volumes about him. What a gun :gun:

Had a good night sleep so bit clear. This time my free seats were in the second level so it was good to see the bigger picture from above. (Over 3000 freebies through junior clubs )
The game was played almost entirely in their forward half - where we had 18 players. Our team defence was outstanding to be in the game with minutes to go. I make the point that its wasn't just defenders.
But the back six did most of the work!! Yoe was our MVP. Shep the only player able to break lines at all. McG as usual - but he is a slow thinker and can not set up attack. Emac showed the highest level of footy IQ and was very constructive trying to set up attack - most of the team were not able to see it unfortunately.
Our mids were unable to create run so when we made it forward GWS were able to two and three team JK. GWS were very comfortable running the ball our of our 50 as our pressure was non existent. Put names to it if you like but there have all been mentioned.

As GWS transitioned its was clear as day where they had loose players wade and where the ball would go. Our plodders could not cover them. There was also an issue that we were working so hard to defend that we were all forward of the GWS play trying to hold the wall.

Sadly to watch Mitch was unable to match the pace and Prides was in the same boat -They moth forked hard but the gig is up. Prides can not kick so he took handball options that turned the ball over.

Hill will be a liability for Subi. I am afraid we need to call a day on the Jetta experiment. Hutch is a tagger or nothing.

Darling can not mark, lumbered against quality and can not take a ball below his knees. He cost us a few opportunities. Trade him if we cn get a nibble but moist will see him as limited value. (McG Junior would have been very handy)

Cripps led up a few time well but was generally outclassed - His direct opponent was almost BOG at one stage. Cripps to EP as depth.

Gaff can go he is not elite in the 2017 game as he is slow can not defend and insipid with the ball. Trade as for JK.

Sheed and Duggan grew into the game very nicely and with part looked smarter with the ball than some of the dead wood.

We could not demand run through the corridor and were forced wide with too many kick going out on the full.

Generally we tried hard and the effort was there. Tackle count was up but its the tackles we can not hold that killed us.

GWS handball and kick to runners - we kick and handball to stationary players. No run. No run No run is the summary and not smart enough to play the Hawks game of old.

We have to find quality mids with pace.

GWS will need to do a lot more to compete for a premiership. Better midfields will not let then run so free.

Would like to toast Redden. Was my favourite Brisbane Lion, and so was rapt when we got him, and seems to have finally strung together a decent patch of football in Eagles colours, being one of our most consistent performers over the last several weeks. Has clearly been benefiting from a close study of the work of Mitchell. Along with Mark Hutchings, he won't win us flags but is the type of customer you appreciate having in the midfield.

Also another strong showing from Kennedy which will hopefully deliver him the Coleman. The Greene-Yeo battle was also a delight, liking what I'm seeing from the Giants as well heading into September.

Duggan's kicking is very neat when he's in a straight line.

Can't agree with toasting Hutchings though, his job is more than just stopping Shiel. Everytime he got the ball it took him about half a minute to get it onto his boot, his action was slow and telegraphed, on the odd occasion he managed to get a kick away it was literally one of the worst of the game without fail.

It was like he couldn't even spot up a 2 on 1, he just kicked it without sufficient distance, no direction and limited hang time into the oppositions spare man. Pathetic football brain based on last night.

I actually agree with 80% of that summation.

Yep, I do agree that players like Darling and Gaff could be trade bait but let's face it, we have far bigger problems to worry about.

It was like he couldn't even spot up a 2 on 1, he just kicked it without sufficient distance, no direction and limited hang time into the oppositions spare man. Pathetic football brain based on last night.

Hutchings is very much like McGinnity - a role player, will give his all and often does a good shutdown job but in the end you do need to offer something more than just that. At least he kicks goals sometimes, I suppose. Hopefully a depth player next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hutchings kept Shiel to his lowest disposal count since round 5 against Sydney. Hutchings performed his role really well to be honest, it's just a shame he's not a 10-20% better footballer to go along with his tagging or he would be great for us

Or if he was 60% better and could run head to head with players like Shiel..

Wasn't sure who had more broken tackles yesterday - eagles or wallabies

Until we learn to actually tackle - we are doneski

And Gaff has to be on the table - part of the problem IMO. Great ball accumulator - but can't win it and can't put pressure on to turn it over

We use him as bait to get something more akin to our needs or go deep into the draft

They are clearly a better side. I now understand the hype in regards to this Kelly kid. Decent effort from the boys although it felt like they missed a heap of chances.

i didn't expect us to win but made the trip out west. apparently the 15,000-odd crowd was the biggest non-derby crowd they'd had, which surprises me. there was a lot of eagles fans out there - good to see.

negatives:
as usual the bar operation at spotless is bloody woeful. any mug standing in the queue could run it better.
hill was terrible. 6 touches they reckon and was rarely in the right position to be applying any useful pressure. worst game i've seen him play for us, and he's had some poor ones. hasn't had a lot of chances this year and continuity has been lacking, which doesn't help things. could've been his last game for us.
darling copped a real bath from tomlinson. appeared to be beaten at every contest in the air and on the ground. no impact on this game whatsoever. we should expect more.
we still sell teammates into trouble too often. decision making was very hit-and-miss.
the constant bombing it in to kennedy in a 2 (or 3) on 1 is infuriating to watch. after 22 rounds of this i'm pretty sure it's the system (simmo has no plan b?). this desperately needs to change next year.
gaff - very poor today. looked slow, weak and disinterested.
mitchell and shuey combined had little influence. lewis didn't contribute much.
missed out on the $1 pie (with beer purchase) deal at halftime.
the gameday atmosphere was pretty lame. not much intensity in the match despite the stakes and tight scoreline.

positives:
petrie competed bloody well against mumford. i can't believe i'm saying this but he should go around again next year.
thought vardy was pretty ok in support. he has his shining moments in most games, it'd just be good to see some consistency across 4 quarters.
jk - star.
hutchings did a good job on shiel for 3 quarters.
redden - was strong at the contest. still needs to lower the eyes rather than just banging it forward, but it was one of his better games.
priddis played a good game, even with the obligatory wtf moments. could run harder defensively, even if slowly.
yeo did a great job on greene. interesting go-to role for him. loved the way he was able to play off greene and close quickly when needed.
thought the backline did their jobs well. shep and gov were both very good. emac a couple of shocking moments but also some useful tidy-up work down back. barrass was occasionally outmatched by patton, but that bloke is huge. tommy will want to work on his 1-on-1 work if he's going to continue to make a name for himself. hurn was ok. hasn't had a strong year, once again.
got free seats so nil by wallet.
overall, not our worst loss and i was impressed we kept ourselves in it for that long. there was stages of the 2nd when i thought we were about to get ripped apart.

But Hutchings can be better than that, that's what was annoying. It wasn't a case of "same old Hutchings" ... he played below his normal standard, normally he'd get the ball to a contest at the minimum.

This was number 1, tbh

I couldn't help but watch all of that. Priddis and Shuey goals were excellent.

It's amazing how good we looked. I thought we were a genuine shot until grand final day.

Gives a little optimism too. Our list still has a fair bit of talent. If Simpson can get them to play for each other again our short term future may not be so bleak.

Positives (from best):
+JK
+Yeo
+Priddis played his best (or maybe top 2) game of the year (even though some of his disposal was awful, and got 1 soft goal, he was still ON for once this season)
+Petrie if you divided a players performance by their salary, this guy would be in the top 10 for best bang for your buck in the competition.
+Shep
+Redden
+The defence as a unit (dropping Nelson to swing Yeo back is SOOOO much better, even though Nelson has been OK and good experience for him)
+Parto looking soooooo much better than I think I could ever have hoped for such little AFL experience, gets into great spaces, in the heat makes effective disposals to his teammates. He could teach his teammates a thing or two.
+We lost so there's no chance Simmo will risk Nicnat next w/e

Negatives (from worst, to least):
-If we played like that all year we'd be top 4.
-Hill - delist
-Jetta - slap him, he SHOULD be so much better than he has been, too unreliable for what is going to turn up each week
-Gaff - learn to kick, learn to handball, FFS, you are ELITE, play like it, if you can't tackle at AFL level you have to at least be able to pass the ball without turning it over or putting your teammates under immediate and surefire pressure. Plenty of homework for you in the offseason mate.
-Vardy - 2018 depth -can't even tap to his teammates advantage when the umpire tells GWS they have not nominated a ruck to contest

Frustrating AF Negative:
-Cripps - (a lot less negative than the above) spend the ENTIRE preseason learning to kick, otherwise you are going to be depth when Rioli and Venables are fit in 2018, yes you are an impressive elite fitness player, that kicks some goals, but your kicking skills (and decision making) when passing are unreliable and it kills us.

Also adding
+ period in the third when we started to tackle - countering that was the rest of the game looked like we were playing 'touch'
+ Barrass did a good job on Patton.
+ Defense played well - especially in light of the way the ball came in.
+ Hurn was very good IMO - showed leadership and a will to win. Not sure what his 'Captain's' voice was like.

- McGovern's one step kicks. They float and are easily intercepted. Get rid of the Gov.
- A lack of awareness from ball receivers and givers. There were times the players receiving ball had someone on their hammer and were quickly tackled.
- Ball delivery by hand and foot still too slow.
- Too Kennedy focussed. Maybe cause the other forwards were below par yesterday.
- Ball comes out of our forward line too easily - then the lack of midfield pressure means that by the time the ball is entering their forward line the pressure is on.

+
Intensity.
Coleman watch 2017.
Backline was superb for the most part. Gov, Barrass, Emac, Shep, Hurn & Yeo, all contributed.

-
Were Hill and Darling Playing today?
Another Loss, no matter how you paint it.
Gaff has the brain of Homer Simpson.
Gaff really has become a complete nothing player. He can have 30 disposals and still no impact on the game whatsoever. Everyone knows he has no right foot and it kills us. He doesn't have the pace to get onto his left and he calls for it on his right far too often.

That feel when Josh Kelly was described as Gaff like pre draft :drunk: :drunk: :'(
Lol I know right...

That's the difference between our development trajectory and that of other teams.

Can't help but wonder whether Gaff would have ended up closer to Kelly at another side. Certainly get that impression with other players' development

Jesus Christ if you were our list manager other supporters would accuse us of tanking and they'd be completely right. Who are we going to replace those 10 players with in one off-season?

Ridiculous post.
He never said to delist them. And obviously we wouldn't delist all 10 in one go. But if most of those 10 are still getting games by the end of next season we have a serious problem.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back