Review Positives and Negatives vs GWS

by the fossils who get riled up when we kick backwards.

Why can’t they just kick it long, wear short shorts and have cigarettes at halftime like they used to?
Time will sort this out eventually.

Time always wins.

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Final few minutes of the game, we chip possession around for about three minutes then surge forward and Darling goals. A textbook, almost perfect sequence of the Simpson game plan that won us a flag.

Watch it back and listen to the increasing groans and smattering of boos by the fossils who get riled up when we kick backwards.

Why can’t they just kick it long, wear short shorts and have cigarettes at halftime like they used to?

My in-laws have some membership neighbours like that. Overall they were pretty good but particularly with that sequence of play the lady next to me was willing them to just hurry up and move it forwards. Overall the surrounding members are much better than they were at Subi where a row of 4 women would gossip directly behind us and talk about anything but footy for a few hours. There's even a few passionate folk who yell stuff out, so now I'm not the only one

FatPizza

Premiership Player
May 25, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
When we were 5 goals down in the Grand Final last year my mum was getting frustrated when we were just kicking it around. She's a bit more receptive to my opinions though so when explaining that this was the style that got us to this point she didn't whinge as much.

Being able to arrest the other sides momentum by controlling the footy is really important for us. If the game is running helter-skelter it doesn't suit our style.

You can see how we are becoming really good at controlling the tempo, making the other side run hard and then scoring heavily late in quarters as the pressure game plans are fatiguing.

Oh no, say it isn`t so! Not HB35 and Biggie, my two favourite posters, indulging in some "funtime" bashing we oldies.

Feet of clay indeed, though certainly not alone on this board. The lack of respect is monumental.

You`re right though Biggie, time awaits you as well.

I wouldn’t dare discriminate, I’m an equal opportunity arsehole. If I hear a five year old near me yell “kick it long” followed by “oh who was that to?” they’re getting dragged too.

Feb 5, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Coast (AFLW)
I wouldn’t dare discriminate, I’m an equal opportunity arsehole. If I hear a five year old near me yell “kick it long” followed by “oh who was that to?” they’re getting dragged too.

I am now going to teach my kids to yell exactly this without telling them why :D

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
I sit in an area that mainly has people who were on the waitlist for years and got an upgrade last year with the new stadium. Overall there is a good mix of young and old and they are happy to yell and swear. They also put up with my group's drunken antics.

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Final few minutes of the game, we chip possession around for about three minutes then surge forward and Darling goals. A textbook, almost perfect sequence of the Simpson game plan that won us a flag.

Watch it back and listen to the increasing groans and smattering of boos by the fossils who get riled up when we kick backwards.

That play was the sex and the bend on Darling's kick at the end was top notch. The only time the ball hit the ground and he scooped it up and bent it in as if it were planned.

Oh no, say it isn`t so! Not HB35 and Biggie, my two favourite posters, indulging in some "funtime" bashing we oldies.

Feet of clay indeed, though certainly not alone on this board. The lack of respect is monumental.

You`re right though Biggie, time awaits you as well.
Certainties in life.

Death taxes and KICK IT LONG yells.

Hell mate, I’m probably older than you :eek:

Rewatched the buildup to that final goal :

1) Duggan collects a loose ball deep in defence and makes clearing kick to Venables on the defensive side of wing near the boundary on the broadcast side. At that point there’s 3.46 left on the game clock
2) Venables goes backwards to Hurn
3) Hurn goes further back to Duggan in the goal square
4) Duggan chips it to the other side to (I think) Cole in the back pocket
5) Pass to masten wide at half back just outside 50
6) Inboard to Smith
7) Wider out to Petch on the boundary far side defensive side of wing
8) Back inside D50 to Cole?
9) Forward to masten on far side wing
10) Longer to Smith on centre far side wing
11) Backwards to Jetta
12) Back further to Duggan in back pocket
13) Back to Barrass just outside goal square
14) Wider to Shuey who collects on bounce just inside boundary just inside D50 near side. First time since Duggan collected the loose ball that it hit the ground
15) Inboard to Venables still inside d50
16) Short pass wider to Barrass (half volley that he gathers off his boots) in back pocket near side
17) Short down the line to Petch just outside 50
18) Further along the boundary to gov
19) Down the line to Hickey on centre wing near side
20) Wide out to Sheed near interchange gates
21) Inboard back to Hickey
22) Forward to Venables just forward of the wing about 80-90m from goal.

1.41 now left on the game clock so we’ve retained possession for just over two minutes without a giants player touching the ball and out of 22 kicks ranging from 15-40m only two hit grass

Venables now close enough to get the ball deep inside forward 50 with a 50m kick to a contest in the forward pocket, darling crumbs and snaps a goal. Oallen running back towards goal from the contest is 5+ metres in the clear and could have marked but watched the ball float through for a goal after looking to see no defender could get a hand on it

Not nearly as exciting as Petch bursting through a pack at full tilt, running 50m and slotting a goal and tbh kinda boring but it was still a bloody impressive passage of play

1) Duggan collects a loose ball deep in defence and makes clearing kick to Venables on the defensive side of wing near the boundary on the broadcast side. At that point there’s 3.46 left on the game clock
6) Inboard to Smith
11) Backwards to Jetta
14) Wider to Shuey who collects on bounce just inside boundary just inside D50 near side. First time since Duggan collected the loose ball that it hit the ground
16) Short pass wider to Barrass (half volley that he gathers off his boots) in back pocket near side

1.41 now left on the game clock so we’ve retained possession for just over two minutes without a giants player touching the ball and out of 22 kicks ranging from 15-40m only two hit grass

Venables now close enough to get the ball deep inside forward 50 with a 50m kick to a contest in the forward pocket, darling crumbs and snaps a goal. Oallen running back towards goal from the contest is 5+ metres in the clear and could have marked but watched the ball float through for a goal after looking to see no defender could get a hand on it

Not nearly as exciting as Petch bursting through a pack at full tilt, running 50m and slotting a goal and tbh kinda boring but it was still a bloody impressive passage of play
Just watched it unfold as I read this

Perfect :thumbsu:

May 14, 2008
Canberra
AFL Club
West Coast

6) Inboard to Smith
11) Backwards to Jetta

Could hear the groans in the crowd by about the 5th kick when it looked like it wasn't going anywhere. When Hickey marked it, I thought the only way this could get better is if we goaled without the giants touching jt. We did. I lost my s**t.

Sent from my CPH1707 using Tapatalk

pixels

Senior List
Aug 20, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

6) Inboard to Smith
11) Backwards to Jetta

Glad Port Adelaide couldn't retain posession for just over 2 minutes.

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I was going to gif some of the amazing kicks of the game, but they just kept coming and coming and I couldn't be bothered.

Hurn and Redden both had great left foot kicks in play.
Redden another across the body kick through the middle to Shuey.
Duggan had 2 stand out kicks (one was the one to Venables in stride 50m away),
Jetta obviously with 2 kickouts and the pass to JK in the f50
Masten the pass to JK as well as the low down kick to Allen and another to hit Petruccelle in stride 40m away
Gov having two bounces and smahsing it over the back to JK was also beautiful
Hickey had 2 good low kicks that most ruckmen wouln't hit

I just loved that game of football that we played, I also noticed Masten and Smith actually hit each other up a fair bit, then ran on for a second uncontested mark.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast

6) Inboard to Smith
11) Backwards to Jetta

To be fair I’m sure GWS just wanted the game to be over so probably weren’t too keen on anymore stoppages

Back