Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Hawthorn - Rd 8, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

A reminder: if you donate $25 or more to the GoFundMe for fellow Eagles fan AxialMat, you will receive one month of free Premium Platinum BigFooty.

Send your donation receipt to Chief to receive your free month.

Good professional win. On top from about the five minute mark and finally made it pay.

+ AH CHEE
+ Gaff immense. Kelly, Sheed, Redden all played very well too. Good time for the mids to step up.
+ Darling clunking everything
+ Nice forward pressure from the whole unit
+ Edwards looked solid, Oscar Allen is a gem down back and career high 27 touches for Brad Sheppard. Makeshift backline survives and thrives.
+ Brander playing his role to perfection. Finding it, takes key marks, good user. Thrilled for him.
+ Bailey Williams to compliment Nic in future thanks.
+ One week closer to full health

- Could have run out bigger winners which is a shame. Left a few goals out there and also let them kick some late.
- Cripps with a few momentum killers and trademark fumbles. Langdon also quiet
- Four days until we find out the mystery Eagle that is seriously injured.

Navigate these stretch of games and keep the season alive until we hit the bye and get the troops back. Ticked the first box we needed to.

Pretty happy with that, Freo and Hawks are pretty rubbish, but you can only beat who's in front of you.

Too many positives,

Ah Chee
Darling
Williams is going to be a superstar, exceptionally skilled and below the knees. Relishes the contested ball.
Brander, elite decision making and can turn on a 1x piece.

Oh yeah, and a win away.

+ Intent. Sure, we're decimated by injuries at the moment but we're a much better team than we showed against Geelong and we've come out the past two weeks and showed that.

+ Coaching. Like the players, the Geelong performance was sub-par for the coaching group. Each of the past two weeks we've adjusted to the game presented to us and put our opponents away.

+ Ah Chee, Gaff, Kelly, Brander, Allen, Williams, Sheed, Edwards, Darling

- Cripps and Waterman were off today

+ Ah Chee - exactly what we needed from a depth player coming in. Keep playing like this & he can solidify a spot in the team.
+ JJ, I thought he was awesome in the first half
+ Williams looked good, more effective than Vardy, let's pump games into him
+ Brander - nothing spectacular but real solid performance, looks at home at this level. Comfortabe he'd make a good decision whenever he had the ball. His ability to turn on a dime & find space out of nowhere is something special.
+ Redden was excellent today, really hard at it
+ banked another win. Need to get as many of these as possible go set us up once we get some players back

Ah Chee and Petch in the forward half both working so hard
Darling excellent
Our centre square combination last two weeks been good Jones and AhChee in there at times,
gives us a different look.
Williams good
Ground ball good two weeks in a row

Negatives

NicNat it is becoming a joke how much we are protecting him (we where not doing it last year)
Talk about his positioning is a excuse he is just too fat and wont work hard enough to get to good positioning.
We need to find a WA journalist that will actually ask Simpson the hard questions about him
Langdon useless
Cripp's Captain Fumbles but is still running hard and tackling
Tom Cole is just going, his position is looking vulnerable now

+ve
Sneezy Ah Chee was immense.
JJ Petch did great jobs.
Loved Bailey Williams effort considering he is just back from injury.
Gaff was great thought him and Sheed did a great job.
Hopefully Bunga, Gov, Barrass and Ryan back either this week or next week.
-ves
JK calf.
Didn't run away with it despite being on top.
Waterman was ok nothing special same as Langdon.

Will eat my hat AhChee! Been a bit harsh on him, but great to see him make the most of his opportunity today.
Was it just me, or game seemed very clutzy in parts, lots of silly errors with disposals, overusing at times etc..
But mustn't grumble, got the points, 1st away win ticked!
Can't believe the players we have out and we still look serviceable, if not lacking some drive out of the back..

- Four days until we find out the mystery Eagle that is seriously injured.

That will be JK's tight calf becoming an 8 week injury where every week his return is "imminent".

You're right to call the win professional though. Given the injuries, it was a good win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Petch showing some really good footballing ability his last few games. Really promising.

Williams to essentially end Vardy's career if he keeps that up.

Ah Chee making me look silly for wanting him gone. It was a low intensity game but still need to win and he certainly did his bit well

Brander showing really good signs. Not being out marked, hitting targets I50, doing it all really.

Redden playing some of the best footy of his career this season.

Negatives can wait. Really pleasing game.

+ Ah Chee was immense. Much better than I expected.
+ Our mids all performed.
+ Darling was very good, if not a little inaccurate
+ Williams, Edwards, and Brander all look to be future stalwarts.
+ Sheppard stood up
+ Finally, a win on the road
+ Petch was solid

- Accuracy wasn't great, the margin could have been a lot bigger
- Cripps. Sigh.
- Langdon is solid depth but without injuries shouldn't be anywhere near the team.

Haven’t seen upside from Cripps or Langdon yet. I’d have no issues running XON in one of their spots while he’s getting 30 possies and 8 tackles in the beagles give him a shot to build. Let one of them go back to the beagles and show they’re above that standard.

IMO Nic Nat is carrying an injury and we're trying to limit his running.

Apart from the 1st quarter a good all round performance and everyone seemed to put in all over the ground. Cripps was largely trash but it's not effort that's his problem most of the time, it's his skills and decision making.

He certainly doesn't seem to be as dominant over the past 3-4 weeks as he was at the beginning of the year. Not at all concerned but if he is carrying something it would be good for the club to identify a window they can give him a rest in (yeah, I know)

He certainly doesn't seem to be as dominant over the past 3-4 weeks as he was at the beginning of the year. Not at all concerned but if he is carrying something it would be good for the club to identify a window they can give him a rest in (yeah, I know)
Still was pretty damn useful today if that's not his dominant best.

Hitout service was consistently good and had several of his trademark 'I'll do it myself' centre clearances. If that's his floor, he's an undeniable superstar.

Negatives

I think Dermie blabbered on about Nic Nat more than the combined powers of PerthNow, WAToday and the Worst Australian ever have.
Eddie being given a platform to bitch about Port Adelaide where he spoke about Kochie's "big nose being broken".

Just * these sorry excuses for a commentary team right off.

I think Dermie blabbered on about Nic Nat more than the combined powers of PerthNow, WAToday and the Worst Australian ever have.

Derm's a frustrating one, says some real insightful stuff, but then gets a bee in his bonnet & rambles on some bs opinions. NN wasn't at his best but geez give the guy a break.

Positives +

+ Gaff was huge, was our best of the day.
+ Kelly was great as well.
+ Redden solid as usual.
+ Sheed standing up away from home.
+ Nic Nat giving our mids silver service. I would like to see him do more around the ground though.
+ Shep was great down back.
+ Oscar, holding up well down back. A genuine swingman.
+ Brander great ball use and turns players inside out well.
+ Darling a beast up the field. Not his day with set shots though.
+ AhChee excellent up forward, one of our bests.
+ Petch was pretty good with his running and pressure.
+ Williams provided more than Vardy does and was pretty good as well. Stays ahead of Vardy.
+ Makeshift backline held firm with Edwards being good again.
+ Jones showing he's a gun. Great tackling and pressure and clean as well.
+ Great win, take the four points and move on.
+ Pressure around the ground is great, especially the forward pressure.

Negatives -

- Cripps gives it his all but too slow decision making and poor skills. Too fumbly as well.
- Langdon is ok but just didn't show enough and will not trouble the oppo like Ryan does. Too fumbly just like Cripps.
- Not a good tactical move to have Nic Nat behind the play with Darling doing the F50 ruck work considering Nic Nat doesn't take much intercept marks. Maybe with Barrass back Nic Nat can take F50 stoppage. But even then, Williams should've took the F50 stoppage. We look more dangerous when Nic Nat does the F50 stoppage.
- JK's calf :(

Final thoughts.

Even though it was a nice win and we got the four points, the Hawks are sh*t and are a genuine bottom four side. They made a lot of mistakes which we capitalized and they weren't accurate at goal. A better side will make us pay more and won't give up possession like the Hawks did. We must lock it in our F50 more so our forwards can score.

Apart from the 1st quarter a good all round performance and everyone seemed to put in all over the ground. Cripps was largely trash but it's not effort that's his problem most of the time, it's his skills and decision making.
Being fat is not an injury

Remove this Banner Ad

Back