Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Sheed not giving off by hand when he had multiple chances to, only to get caught holding the ball made me furious. He was playing in slow-mo. At AFL level, the football is a hot potato. His thinking his way through a situation is too slow.

"Free kick Hawthorn" was in effect in the first half. I was thinking: 'bloody hell, here we go.'
I seriously think that Sheed's head wound affected his game yesterday. He just made way too many errors for it not to have been influential. Or maybe it was that the head bandage was just way too tight.

Huge positive for me in a dream last night-

We were going into the final round in a position where win, we finish 1st, lose, we finish second.

The thing was, finish first and we play a powerful in-form Swans who play well in WA. Second and we play a Richmond missing Cotchin and Dusty to injury. It was in our best interests to lose round 23.

With several of our more senior players weary, Simmo decided to rest 6 of them. The problem was, being in our best interests to lose it was also seen as a form of deliberate tanking.

Speculation and accusations raged in the media for days. Damien Barrett, referring to himself as we, wrote an obnoxious if... article

The ins were Petrucelle for Cripps, Bayok for LeCras, Venables for Hutchings, Watson for Masten, Brander for Kennedy, Olango for Lycett.

With Ryan and Rioli in particularly good form we had this forward setup:

FF Bayok Brander Ryan
HF Rioli Darling Venables

With Olango/Naitanui as resting rucks and Watson/Jetta (who was having a go on the wing) as attacking wingers we now had beyond all doubt the fastest forward setup of all time.

We went on to paste the Brisbane Lions by 140 points, finish first, belt Sydney anyway, roll through the finals and win the GF over 8th-placed Fremantle by 72 points, with re-signed Jeremy McGovern claiming the Norm Smith medal. We later poach Andrew Brayshaw in the trade period somehow whilst Fremantle fail to land a tall.

Make it happen Simmo

M8 i already dreamt this a week or two ago, get some original material

Jeez people are smashing down on Ah Chee a little hard. He's finding his feet with us and coming off an imperfect prep. Give him a chance, eh?

Also on Sheed - agree he got caught too much yesterday, but clearly this year there has been an emphasis on "don't handball your mates into trouble" and he's taking it to heart. There's upside in that.

That's because everyone else is playing alright atm - even Masten (miraculous goal 3rd quarter against Hawks). So someone has to take the heat for the round.

Congratulations on the win. I haven't posted on your board before, so a bit of a preamble before I get to the data. I produce starting midfield statistics to assist in the deciding positions for a fantasy football competition I help run. I've been doing this since 2016, but I recently thought that seeing Champion Data don't make their version of this available for fans for free, I'd post my data on here for the games I analyse as every team has young players they'd like to see get more midfield time and the hard data may confirm or refute suspicions. I take note of each of the 5 midfielders (3 inside + wings) for each centre bounce, this may not be a perfect way to showcase who is getting midfield time at each club, but it would be one of the better ones.

Anyway, here is the data from yesterday's game:

NB> Nothing after the indicates all starts were as an inside mid. Multiple players played both roles, so their role breakdowns are also indicated.

There were 23 bounces for the game

Gaff 22 (14w, 8i)
Masten 20 (wing)
Yeo 19
Redden 19 (3w)
Hutchings 18 (4w)
Sheed 12 (2w)
Ah Chee 3
Cripps 2 wing

Rucks:
Naitanui 17
Lycett 6
Thanks for this. Not sure how easy it would be but I’d love to see west
Costs clearance win/loss ratio for each player and also the win/loss ration for every combination. Not sure how possible given your method

This was the first time we came up against a team playing 2 genuine rucks and it showed. Up to half time we had none of the usual ruck dominance we're used to with hitouts and clearances being pretty much even. So instead of just sticking with the status quo, we changed things up and as a result Nic dominated the last quarter. Really not sure how you can possibly complain about this. This was Simpson completely out-coaching Clarkson.
Agree, it was a quiet watershed moment in a way, Simpson has arrived. Some satisfaction after the 2015 GF loss. Clarko said he was proud his team held the WCE to their lowest score, but didn't mention they were held to their lowest score? A kind of nothing statement. But watching it again it was certainly a high pressure tough slog, Eagles made to earn it. Both coaches said there was a lot going on all over the park all day(changes+tactics). Eagles seem to be able to withstand anything thrown at them and find a way through so far.

I seriously think that Sheed's head wound affected his game yesterday. He just made way too many errors for it not to have been influential. Or maybe it was that the head bandage was just way too tight.
It wasn't just that game, he's just been off for a while. Even before the injury he had 2 or 3 games below average.

A stint in the wafl might be good for his confidence but I think Hutchings is the one who generally makes way.

I don't follow. Is there a story here somewhere - please enlighten me.
Check out SEN website. S Mitchell said that he will not catch up with A Clarke while in Melbourne because A Clarke acts funny towards ex hawks working with other football clubs.

Check out SEN website. S Mitchell said that he will not catch up with A Clarke while in Melbourne because A Clarke acts funny towards ex hawks working with other football clubs.

Oh that Alistair Clarke, cagey like a fox!

Huge positive for me in a dream last night-

We were going into the final round in a position where win, we finish 1st, lose, we finish second.

The thing was, finish first and we play a powerful in-form Swans who play well in WA. Second and we play a Richmond missing Cotchin and Dusty to injury. It was in our best interests to lose round 23.

With several of our more senior players weary, Simmo decided to rest 6 of them. The problem was, being in our best interests to lose it was also seen as a form of deliberate tanking.

Speculation and accusations raged in the media for days. Damien Barrett, referring to himself as we, wrote an obnoxious if... article

The ins were Petrucelle for Cripps, Bayok for LeCras, Venables for Hutchings, Watson for Masten, Brander for Kennedy, Olango for Lycett.

With Ryan and Rioli in particularly good form we had this forward setup:

FF Bayok Brander Ryan
HF Rioli Darling Venables

With Olango/Naitanui as resting rucks and Watson/Jetta (who was having a go on the wing) as attacking wingers we now had beyond all doubt the fastest forward setup of all time.

We went on to paste the Brisbane Lions by 140 points, finish first, belt Sydney anyway, roll through the finals and win the GF over 8th-placed Fremantle by 72 points, with re-signed Jeremy McGovern claiming the Norm Smith medal. We later poach Andrew Brayshaw in the trade period somehow whilst Fremantle fail to land a tall.

Make it happen Simmo
Guv;you are a sick puppy and i like you!!

One thing that I have liked and that was on display in both the Richmond and Hawks games is our tactical transition.

When the game is there for the taking we are able to attack with the best of them, but when the opposition have a bit of a run-on the team can also switch into defensive mode and just shut up shop until we can gain momentum back.

Good signs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back