Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Jacko Nelson running stats:
- equal second in km covered.
- first for average speed in defence.

When you have the tank to stay in the game you can start to show your wares.

His extra size over Cole was telling in the sloppy conditions too I thought. Kept Poppy quiet when he came forward and he is one nuggety little fecker to deal with!

Also on the plus side, Cole has looked a cut above the level in his WAFL stint. Bodes well.

- I think Schoey plays better on the mid size players.Degoey size.Hes tall,fast and well balanced but playing on big strong blokes is not his gig.

I used to think Schoey was a Masten-esque player. A spot filler. I'm glad I was absolutely off the mark..and I totally agree with the above statement. He's an excellent spoiler and can shut down most mid-sized players because of his reach and speed, but he doesn't have the physical presence like a McGovern or Barrass to shut down big powerful dudes. I couldn't agree more.

I used to think Schoey was a Masten-esque player. A spot filler. I'm glad I was absolutely off the mark..and I totally agree with the above statement. He's an excellent spoiler and can shut down most mid-sized players because of his reach and speed, but he doesn't have the physical presence like a McGovern or Barrass to shut down big powerful dudes. I couldn't agree more.
I think it depends on how he's required to build in the preseason.

2015 for example I think he put on some size to cover the bigger players. Now he's slimmed down a touch but not as slim as he used to be still.

Nelson was a bit of a revelation on Saturday..I was thinking 'is that the same Nelson?'
Clearly, he wants to be in the finals action. This pressure from below is a magnificent thing!
Will he be in the Derby over Cole?
IMO Nelson has performed better in the position than Cole had in recent weeks. Nelson is hungry and has more impact presently - he's more of a bodylining /dashing backman than a potential developing playmaker like Cole but he's also found a bit of composure at AFL level now too. Not sure about him as a midfielder he's more of a 'see ball get ball' player to me and might not read the play in a midfield role well enough.

I love Cole though he's tough and skilful but needs to get his mojo back. I still have fond memories of Cole coming in for his 3rd (?) game in 2017 after a spell away showing the team how to actually attack the contest at the height of that coralling crap they were doing.

Hoping Nelson gets to show his wares for awhile now until his form potentially dips or a matchup otherwise demands it - Yep loving the pressure from below 😀👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1 positive I did not know is that the Eagles now hold the current longest winning streak of any team with 5 wins In a row at the MCG.

Last edited:
Despite missing 349 days and spending just 58% time on ground, the Naitanui effect on clearances was evident:

View attachment 701417

You have to go back to Round 13 against Sydney last year for the last time the club lost a match when it had a positive centre clearance differential.

Insane 😱😱

Me and my best mate are avid sports fans and debated this for years over various sports....whether "clutch" is an ingrained trait or it can be learnt.

This team has proven it CAN absolutely be learnt....... we were the biggest chokers of all time only 2/3 years ago, now we are simply ice in close games

Simmo is simply a genius

Don’t flat out disagree, but I'd give most credit for clutch wins to the players.

In that last 3/4 minutes, you really find out who can stand up and take the next step to greatness.

Shuey, NN etc have it in spades and my guessing is they didn't learn it, its innate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back