Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Think it was a bit of both - Hawthorn played out of their skins and too many of our guys just did not turn up to play except for 5 minutes here and there. Personally think it started in the ruck - Hickey got spanked again - he just is not that good even though I'm sure he tries.

I dunno, they didn't seem like they were unstoppable. They were just switched on and stuck to their systems well. And just went harder. We made mistake after mistake to gift them goals instead of just going hard at the contest. We torched them in 5 minutes of play in the first quarter and their coaching fine tuned at the break and we didn't go on with it. As soon as they were in the game, they weren't letting go of it.

We were off all night, flat from coming off a grand final like game last week, a 6 day break after a slog with probably the best side in the comp where we lost by a kick (nice of the AFL to schedule Richmond a 7 day buffer with the floating fixture, though) against a side in form who have had the easiest of easy training runs last week and would be fresh as daisies.

Doesn't take much to be off and you get spanked by most sides, let alone one coached by the best in the business with a lot of smart players still at his disposal.

If we were on, we'd be winning tonight, of that I have no doubt. But we weren't, and that's mainly on us. Hawks were just their normal Hawk selves as far as I could see.

With a $hit way to end the regular season and then have to wait for 2 weeks to see what turns up in a final.

I'll keep reading but not posting for a while.

Cheers

There are no positives unless Simmo and Hurn have the balls to call this performance out as inexcusable.

So much on the line and we wiltered under the pressure from a team that is playing just for the chance to make finals. Not top 4, not guaranteed a finals spot, just a chance.

They were in our face all night and we sat down at half time and had a nice cup of tea.

Where was the bake? Oh that’s right we weren’t worried because we just expected we could turn it on when we liked.

I’m so filthy right now, I don’t give a s**t who sees this as a melt or which supporter wants to stand up on the soap box and declare the melts uncalled for.

The problem with this lot is no one has given them a serve this year when it was needed.

We just expected to get s**t done instead of fighting tooth and nail for it. So much potential just pi**ed down a drain.

We’ll always have 2018 but 2019 is the year that we never gave it everything we had and that saddens me.
Hey you weren't the guy in Block 509 or thereabouts as there was somebody up on that level who was yelling out to the players all those points you mentioned above. 🙄

If we were on, we'd be winning tonight, of that I have no doubt. But we weren't, and that's mainly on us. Hawks were just their normal Hawk selves as far as I could see.

Thats why ive been cracking the sh*ts about this team all season. "If" were on, we beat any team on any ground. The problem is that we're "on" for a quarter or two, and then cant be arsed to maintain it.

Thats why ive been cracking the sh*ts about this team all season. "If" were on, we beat any team on any ground. The problem is that we're "on" for a quarter or two, and then cant be arsed to maintain it.

Tbh a quarter or two could have done it tonight.

It was only 5 minutes though. :/

Barass was terrible but never a real chance to get dropped though was he.......

Everyone was happy for Duggan to come in

Nelson was the one who should of made way for Schofield, like I said Schofield can do everything he can but more.

Just one of many reasons to be pi**ed off but Schofield should be in this team !!
Is Barrass getting on the piss during the week with his mate McCarthy or something? His game has really deteriorated of late and we all know he is a better player than that. And he won't be dropped going by Simmo's post-game oresser. 😟

+ We're the reigning premier's
- We're not playing well enough for long enough.
- Hickey got smoked by Segler. Need Nic back for a bit of stoppage presence and centre bounce clean ball

Positive:

Fell short on each and every real test this year, 100% between the ears with this mob and has been for the entirety of Simpsons tenure. 5th spot is about where we need to be sitting to have any genuine chance at going back to back. As a team, its a well established fact that we don't respond positively to having a safety net. Any opportunity we have had in this season and others to make things easier for ourselves has been taken as an invitation to lighten the load. Our backs weren't against the wall tonight, it merely would of been nice to win and surprise surprise we didn't. Nothing to melt over, season starts again in 2 weeks.

The double chance is overrated, 5th is fine. Season just got interesting for mine, wining from 5th is a challenge tailor made for this list. Eagles have another gear to go to and only way to find that is not to have any choice but not to. Every quarter matters now, I'd back them in. etc etc.
Like your attitude but this time not sure you're on the money🤔

(Log in to remove this ad.)

+ We're the reigning premier's
- We're not playing well enough for long enough.
- Hickey got smoked by Segler. Need Nic back for a bit of stoppage presence and centre bounce clean ball
Clearance numbers weren't our problem tonight, it was our execution. Destroyed on the turnover and rebound. Nic would definitely make us cleaner, though.

Positives
- Rioli getting better and better.
- When we play well, we are a level above anyone else.
Really struggling to find anything else.

Negatives
- Don't seem to have a plan B. When opposition closes up space we revert to the Priddis patented "kick long around body".
- Too slow to move the ball forward. We really need to have someone running past to get the handball and carry it forward.
- I get why we go sideways, but that hasn't worked at all this year. Not even once. Clubs know we do this and their players have instructions on how to react.
- Hickey gets beaten in the ruck so much it's almost not worth bothering playing him. I like what he does around the ground, but in the ruck he seems to not even make it a contest for the opposing ruckman.
- Petch
- Hurn seems cooked since his calf injury

Sure it was trash, but we played Richmond in a brutal slog at the MCG last week while the Hawks played an exhibition match against Gold Coast, and if any assistant coach knows how to beat our midfield its Sam Mitchell. We've got a week off to reset and Naitanui coming back. Harden the fu** up son.
Excuses - there is no excuse for that lack of effort apart from 5 minutes here and there. Think we're cooked as possibly their confidence has now been dented and will probably second guess themselves going forward. Of course I hope I'm wrong but can't see much light at the end of the tunnel at the moment.

Positives? There are none.

The team just butchered not just top two, but top four as well.

With the exception of a miracle, this season is all but over now.

It is now verging on becoming a completely wasted year.
  • Hoping that Brisbane can defeat Richmond at the MCG for the first time since 1988.
  • Hoping that Naitanui won't just somehow return, but be able to play four weeks in a row if the above result doesn't go our way.
Furthermore, this team has already proven twice this season that coming off travel with a six day break is beyond it. The prospect of three consecutive weeks of travel, in addition to potentially multiple six day breaks is a feat that is near impossible to achieve based on what has been demonstrated this year.

The same issues that have continuously haunted this season arose once again tonight.

The team won the clearances (45-30), yet moved the ball into the attacking fifty less times (53-58).

The contested possessions were once again lost by a double figure margin (133-147), the ninth time that is has occurred this year.

Think about those three sets of figures for a moment. Winning clearances comprehensively, yet not getting the ball forward and losing contested possessions.

What does that suggest? That the opposition is clearly stacking numbers behind the ball and that you are doing nothing to address it.

All season long, opposition numbers taking positions behind the ball and spreading on the counter have caused problems.

Take a look at the intercept figures; 59-75 to the Hawks.
  • By three-quarter time 8 of their 11 goals originated from intercepts.
  • Hawthorn scored as many points from defensive 50 chains as what the Eagles were able to manage in total over the last three quarters.

It's the same issue all over again. Refusing to make the spares accountable and leave the defence in no man's land when the slingshot occurs.

If anyone disagrees, read through the following once again and tell me how it does not describe what occurred tonight.

The Case for Plan B and how it can be done

It is not like this is some tactical masterstroke plucked just for this game. The previous two weeks against the Giants and Suns, Hawthorn had outscored each by more than 50 points from intercepts. There should have been no surprises that the Hawks were going to play a flood and counter game.

Yet in both setup and execution, West Coast played perfectly into Hawthorn's plan.

As a consequence, tonight became the third week in succession where Hawthorn outscored their opponents by more than 50 points from intercepts.

And that is how a premiership defence ends.

Positives? There are none.

The team just butchered not just top two, but top four as well.

With the exception of a miracle, this season is all but over now.

It is now verging on becoming a completely wasted year.
  • Hoping that Brisbane can defeat Richmond at the MCG for the first time since 1988.
  • Hoping that Naitanui won't just somehow return, but be able to play four weeks in a row if the above result doesn't go our way.
Furthermore, this team has already proven twice this season that coming off travel with a six day break is beyond it. The prospect of three consecutive weeks of travel, in addition to potentially multiple six day breaks is a feat that is near impossible to achieve based on what has been demonstrated this year.

The same issues that have continuously haunted this season arose once again tonight.

The team won the clearances (45-30), yet moved the ball into the attacking fifty less times (53-58).

The contested possessions were once again lost by a double figure margin (133-147), the ninth time that is has occurred this year.

Think about those three sets of figures for a moment. Winning clearances comprehensively, yet not getting the ball forward and losing contested possessions.

What does that suggest? That the opposition is clearly stacking numbers behind the ball and that you are doing nothing to address it.

All season long, opposition numbers taking positions behind the ball and spreading on the counter have caused problems.

Take a look at the intercept figures; 59-75 to the Hawks.
  • By three-quarter time 8 of their 11 goals originated from intercepts.
  • Hawthorn scored as many points from defensive 50 chains as what the Eagles were able to manage in total over the last three quarters.

It's the same issue all over again. Refusing to make the spares accountable and leave the defence in no man's land when the slingshot occurs.

If anyone disagrees, read through the following once again and tell me how it does not describe what occurred tonight.

The Case for Plan B and how it can be done

It is not like this is some tactical masterstroke plucked just for this game. The previous two weeks against the Giants and Suns, Hawthorn had outscored each by more than 50 points from intercepts. There should have been no surprises that the Hawks were going to play a flood and counter game.

Yet in both setup and execution, West Coast played perfectly into Hawthorn's plan.

As a consequence, tonight became the third week in succession where Hawthorn outscored their opponents by more than 50 points from intercepts.

And that is how a premiership defence ends.

+
Gaff was amazing
First quarter fightback was grand
Sheppard, Jetta, McGovern deserve a medal for the s**t they had to deal with & the other blokes back there
who basically phoned in their duties tonight.
-
Got outplayed and outcoached; Simmo has no plan B, if his plan gets worked out, we've basically got nothing.
Barrass
Bottom line is Hickey is a very average Ruckman
Petra was pathetic (no goal to gloss over his performance today)
Kennedy is close to the end
Making up the numbers if we finish 5th

He was not the reason we lost.

I actually thought our best patches were driven a fair bit by Hickey. That run of goals late in the first, and the start of the third quarter, were all started by the typical Hickey follow-up the tap or take it out of the ruck clearances.

Didn’t do enough for long enough, but when he did good things we got rewarded. Frustrating though that he would then just be non existent outside of 10 minutes of purple patch. Not much point being great for 10 minutes and irrelevant for 70.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back