Positives and Negatives vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t get the Sneeze hate, I think he does some good things at important times. Do agree he needs to be better for longer but I don’t see who we have who would be putting pressure on his position?

Don’t get the Sneeze hate, I think he does some good things at important times. Do agree he needs to be better for longer but I don’t see who we have who would be putting pressure on his position?
Agreed, particularly with a few injuries and the compressed fixture coming up he stays in.

Had some genuine brain fade moments (dropping the ball when trying to kick in the backline, muffing what should have been a regulation inside 50 and hitting the fat side of the ball going for a snap which went OOTF) but is good for a couple of marks and some knock ons and handballs in close.

Positive
Lost Yeo before the bounce and still won comfortably.
Ryan was awesome and kicked straight.
Defence was a wall love it when Gov comes back even if he was a bit rusty.
Shep kicking goals?! It's different and I love it.
NicNat what can you say? 16 hitouts to advantage. Put the ball on the plate for our mids.
Reid had a good first game nice work Dossy!
Negatives
Few sloppy goals detracted from the defence.
Injuries are starting to mount a bit in the midfield.

The fact there's no one putting pressure on his position doesn't make him any better.

There was one passage in the last quarter with 1 minute to go where he has a fresh air attempt at a soccer and then just ball watches while about 6 other players contest the footy. He might have been gassed, but he's a senior player (in terms of age and time in the system) and should be working harder than he does for someone who isn't impacting the game in other ways.

It's frustrating because for someone who finished runner up in the SANFL best and fairest, he just has no impact at AFL level.

Thought the midfield was well down, Shuey was a turnover king. Kelly was quiet, Sheed’s worst game for a while.

Lost Yeo before the bounce and Redden during the game.

Luckily we were playing Hawks and it didn’t matter, they are no longer the team they were.

Hopefully we can manage players through this next section of the draw and still have the important players standing when finals come around.

must admit, they were loud last week. Well supported here in WA those Blue baggers...
Agreed. Blues fans have done this in Perth consistently as long as the Eagles have existed. I rate them the #1 away fans. Very pleased for them the other night.

I thought a young Masto was running around when I first saw Reid. Cant decide if that's a positive or negative so I'll say it first.

Positives:
- Banking the 4pts and % while they're there;
- How good is our defense. Gov and Barrass having such steady hands overhead is such a luxury;
- Ryan is electric.

Negatives:
- Hub time looming again soon.
- Redden injury is bad timing when we may need to start rotating 1 or 2 players out for rests.

Positive:

Flyin' Ryan - back with a vengeance after a couple of understandably quieter weeks. It's not just the height of his leap, his hang time is epic!

Jack Darling - ominous form from Jack. His decision making and effort is early 2018 JD, even if he isn't kicking bags every week.

JJK - have my babies.

Misc. Small forwards - much better pressure, not much chop offensively. We having to second Shep for more firepower up forward it seems!

Defense is looking good, barring our typical inability to defend against any sort of fast transition. Rotham is looking great, very impressed with him. Jacko Nelson is becoming very reliable and cool headed in tight - impressive for a hot head! Tommy Cole is attacking the footy again and Barrass/Gov just complement each other so well. Bung...continues to labour under a cursed sponsorship but is improving each week.

Negative:

Midfield balance was off. Hawks did really well to neutralise the advantage Naita was generating in the ruck. Pretty quiet game from the whole midfield unit really, they just kinda did enough for our class at either end to sew up the game. A switched on midfield and we would have won by 10 goals easily.

Brayden. I tried to watch him a bit. He cruises around the ground at good pace but when the ball is near it becomes apparent that there is no more pace in the legs than cruising at good pace. I think the poor lad would be slower than Priddis over 10m. His efforts are defined by the word timid. Give the kid a spell as his confidence must be rock bottom with his last few outings of alternating between ineffectual and tackle bag. The kid is a slow, inside ball winner can we please let him see the inside of the gym?

Reddog going down on top of Yeo's issue. Our midfield is very shallow and X'On and Brayshaw are unblooded. Brayshaw looked good doing his run throughs post match, seems a well put together chap, hopefully he gets a run against GWS rather than getting thrown to the Yellow and Gold Wolves the following round.

Overall it looks like we just did enough to comfortably get the 4 points. I heard reports Simmo was pretty agitated in the box so it will be interesting to see if it provokes any changes in personnel or approach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shep's Goal.
Anyone else notice Worpel gave the ball to Kennedy not Sheppard??
50m right?

Great game Ryan, carried him for the past few weeks in SC getting 20's and 30's so traded him out this week. Great move DH.

Sheppard another AA game along with NicNat.
Darling building nicely after a slowish start to the season.
Barrass, thought it was probably his best game for the year. Him and Gov will be giving teams headaches.

Watched the replay late last night and I actually feel he was ok. He has so many 'almost' moments. You can see him really trying. I'd persist because he just needs it to click.

I heard reports Simmo was pretty agitated in the box so it will be interesting to see if it provokes any changes in personnel or approach.
Hawthorn was missing some key chunks from their side - all their outside run in Smith, Henderson and Scully, and their two primary KPFs in Lewis and Patton. McEvoy has been their primary KPD lately but was forced to ruck as Ceglar was out. No reason why Wingard didn't have more of an impact though on the outside.

Hawks have extremely weak depth this year.

I dont see a lot of positives on that game

Was an awful game of football and saw a lot of lazy priddis throw it on the boot to try and clear it bullshit that just doesnt work against top teams.

We do that when we are under pressure and yesterday it was driving me wild, i rewound it and could see options in the clear - fcuk flourbag kicks!!!

Was an awful game of football and saw a lot of lazy priddis throw it on the boot to try and clear it bullshit that just doesnt work against top teams.

We do that when we are under pressure and yesterday it was driving me wild, i rewound it and could see options in the clear - fcuk flourbag kicks!!!
Geez you are kranky al.

Watched the replay late last night and I actually feel he was ok. He has so many 'almost' moments. You can see him really trying. I'd persist because he just needs it to click.
If rioli was in hed be out.

At hes a good marking option whos hard to beat in the air 1 on 1.

That's probably why simmo was clearly underwhelmed

saw a lot of lazy priddis throw it on the boot

Aint that the truth. Gaff needs a punch in the Chol :handfist:

He would literally stand off the pack, get the ball fed to him as designated kicker, and STILL turn away from our goals and throw it on the boot for a high snap kick.

Completely ridiculous. Ryan made his kick look good a couple of times by marking the skyball, but it was absolute trash.

Against a good defense that gets picked off every day of the week and comes straight back out.. How you can do that after playing 200 games is beyond me.

Aint that the truth. Gaff needs a punch in the Chol :handfist:

He would literally stand off the pack, get the ball fed to him as designated kicker, and STILL turn away from our goals and throw it on the boot for a high snap kick.

Completely ridiculous. Ryan made his kick look good a couple of times by marking the skyball, but it was absolute trash.

Against a good defense that gets picked off every day of the week and comes straight back out.. How you can do that after playing 200 games is beyond me.
I agree about Gaff’s kicking in general play. It was garbage, but those two Ryan marks were so remarkably similar that it must have been a set play that they orchestrated twice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back