Positives and Negatives vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Branders agility and acceleration reminds me a lot of young Darling. Jacks lost a lot of that since but that’s what makes him such a threat as an undersized key forward. Will Day is quick but they way Brander burnt him offf was something.

I also think I’d his foot skills are better than what his shown at AFL level and it will improve once he gets used to the speed of AFL footy and he has some confidence. He should also be playing Watermans role .

Or at least AA. Surely.

I think someone mentioned it in this thread earlier (it was in one of the threads) - he made a really bad error (missing the punch) and it just stood out so much - because he doesn't make those mistakes.

He's been a rock in defence for a while (including this year) and really deserves an AA.

Branders agility and acceleration reminds me a lot of young Darling. Jacks lost a lot of that since but that’s what makes him such a threat as an undersized key forward. Will Day is quick but they way Brander burnt him offf was something.

I also think I’d his foot skills are better than what his shown at AFL level and it will improve once he gets used to the speed of AFL footy and he has some confidence. He should also be playing Watermans role .
When he kicks through the ball it’s fine. But he tries to finesse these little passes and he sorta pokes at it. They don’t work. I’m hoping it can be ironed out.

sending out an apology to whoever i tee'd off against last night about Reid's game. Watched the replays and he was OK. I think he warrants another game based on some hard running and tackling which is more than we've been getting from cameron and co.

I think someone mentioned it in this thread earlier (it was in one of the threads) - he made a really bad error (missing the punch) and it just stood out so much - because he doesn't make those mistakes.
He loses a contest like that approximately once per year, so it was good to get the 2020 one out of the way before the finals start.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When he kicks through the ball it’s fine. But he tries to finesse these little passes and he sorta pokes at it. They don’t work. I’m hoping it can be ironed out.

Thing is (and I realise that Brander is a young kid and naturally wants to get his hands on the ball) but every game I have ever seen him play, there is a least one passage per game, where we are out, and all he has to do is knock the ball forward, and we are off.

Instead, he greedily tries to take possession, and inevitably, gets done for holding the ball.

Its kind of what Jackson Nelson used to do until very recently, where he had finally seemed to jettison this flaw from his game

Brander needs to do the same. I know people have high hopes for this guy but I am still unconvinced about the future of this kid

Q2 bonus clips (Q2 Nic clips page 5, Q1 page 3):

Allen beats Big Boy
allen1.gif

Cole switched on; cuts off the short entry
cole1.gif

Cole again. Intercepts, receives from Reid and pops it into space
cole2.gif

Gov pick-up
gov1.gif

Another great run-down tackle from Reid
reid1.gif

Great forward pressure JK, Nelson cleverly chips it around the corner to his target inside-50
team1.gif

Shuey to Gaff, Cole the overlap run, he delivers perfectly to Ryan on a lead but I couldn't squeeze that in
team2.gif

Redden taps it over to Gaff, cheeky over-the-shoulder hands to Sheed. He sprays it
team3.gif

Last edited:
Thing is (and I realise that Brander is a young kid and naturally wants to get his hands on the ball) but every game I have ever seen him play, there is a least one passage per game, where we are out, and all he has to do is knock the ball forward, and we are off.

Instead, he greedily tries to take possession, and inevitably, gets done for holding the ball.

Its kind of what Jackson Nelson used to do until very recently, where he had finally seemed to jettison this flaw from his game

Brander needs to do the same. I know people have high hopes for this guy but I am still unconvinced about the future of this kid

Disagree immensely with the greedily part.

For a bloke who often is timid at the contest, I have no issue with the times he actually wants the footy. Calling it greedy as well is a massive misread to me.

Young player grabbing the football and getting caught is more likely “not used to AFL speed” than greedy. There’s some clear flaws in Brander’s game, but I think there’s very little evidence to suggest greed is one of them.

He loses a contest like that approximately once per year, so it was good to get the 2020 one out of the way before the finals start.

Not sure about once per year. Last time I saw it was vs Port at Adelaide in 2018, first quarter I think, got brushed off the ball too easily by Robbie Gray (no slouch) and cost a goal.

You campaigners know what happened next though.....

Midfielders Kicking Efficiency;

Brander - 66.7%
Shuey - 57.1%
Redden - 50%
Gaff - 40%
Kelly - 37.5%
Sheed - 25%

Some pretty low numbers there from the guys in the middle. The defence were superb in comparison with many posting 75% plus.

Naitanui - 16 hitouts to advantage.

Midfielders Kicking Efficiency;

Brander - 66.7%
Shuey - 57.1%
Redden - 50%
Gaff - 40%
Kelly - 37.5%
Sheed - 25%

Some pretty low numbers there from the guys in the middle. The defence were superb in comparison with many posting 75% plus.

Naitanui - 16 hitouts to advantage.
Our back 6 were awesome. All played their roles.

I think you are looking at it all from a negative slant.

What I look for, is there one or 2 moments of brilliance, deft touches, some minor magic etc...

And if its a yes, it shows the talent is there and its only a matter of time until its the whole game is put together.

IMO

But then you could always get a McDougall No Heart :straining:

I have been hoping for this kid to prove the doubters wrong but I'm afraid I have lost my enthusiasm. Where do you see him going with his football, half as good as Priddis perhaps ?

Into The Black.

This is just a smart arsed retort :p ..... nothing personal intended ITB, hoping that your avatar and name appreciate my post and take it in the good sprit that it was intended. ;);)

Maybe Branders come back to your post might be this.

quote-it-doesn-t-mean-that-much-to-me-to-mean-that-much-to-you-neil-young-46-55-09.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back