Positives and Negatives vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

1df4d8611c5c9832f7e258de1a558934.jpg

2a01ea88a0444be012381824af2828e0.jpg

:plus: Shuey was outstanding. Not the amount of ball he had, although his 2 goals were impressive, but his hassle in the contest was brilliant. The nudging, bumping, buffeting and harassing the oppositions midfielders was a feature. I made a point to go straight to his pressure acts after the game and yep.... 32, which was the most on the ground apart from...

:plus: Yeo the wild boar had 33.... Along with a monster list of other impressive stats. Watching him live against gold coast a few weeks ago, was like watching his confidence grow in front of my eyes. Been our best along with Hurn these last 3 wins. Campaigners gonna campaign. Not at all surprised by the man.

:plus: I've made a big post in the Supercoach thread recently about how the new kick in rules have taken Hurns and Daniel Rich's game to new levels, and tonight was just another example. Fantastic game from the skipper. Career high Disposals, kicks, marks, contested marks, rebound 50's, ranking points, disposal efficiency and metres gained in 2019. AA skipper locked surely :padlock: possible competition from Rance.

:plus:Managed to grind out another win despite losing 3 quarters of the game to a better side. This one quarter burst trick we're doing isn't doing wonders for my life expectancy. We just don't look like the same team in 2018, and by that, i mean a good team. But a wins a win, and i'll take it.

:question: I thought Oscar competed well in defence. Tonight was the most game time he's ever played, and he held his own. That being said, i can't say i'm a fan of keeping him in the backline with McGovern. Some of the contests he won or halved were by the skin of his teeth, it wasn't a convincing performance. Could easily have had a bag of goals kicked on him if McDonald was 1% better.

:minus: Vardy was once again, shocking. I'm getting bored of listing him in my negatives each and every week he plays. Hopefully the MC are smart enough to realize our opposition ruckman over the next few weeks aren't anything to be wary of and choose to stick with a solo Hickey.

:minus: Darling, once again.... shocking. Has there been a more frustrating player ever in our history? The bloke who could have it all, just like he did in 2018, and yet he chooses to be soft and infuriate his fans beyond belief. Handballing skills for an AFL player is just... wow. He's lucky we've managed to get over the line these past 3 weeks or there would be the usual spotlight and question marks over his poor performance.

:minus: Hutchings, once again, shouldn't be in the side unless he has a specific defensive role on an opposition midfielder. Hopefully Simpson learns this lesson this week, because he didn't learn it last week. Why not send him to Oliver? Hutchings in transition, or in space for that matter isn't something you want to be seeing as a supporter. His skills are average, his decision making is weak, and his offensive skills leave a lot to be desired.

Fold the club.

:minus: Hutchings, once again, shouldn't be in the side unless he has a specific defensive role on an opposition midfielder. Hopefully Simpson learns this lesson this week, because he didn't learn it last week. Why not send him to Oliver? Hutchings in transition, or in space for that matter isn't something you want to be seeing as a supporter. His skills are average, his decision making is weak, and his offensive skills leave a lot to be desired.
If only we had a premiership quality, hard-running, outside midfielder to replace him ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On another note, Sheeds tackling is one of the biggest head scratches in footy.

I just don't get it. He's around the footy for so much of the game, ranked #2 at the club for contested possessions so it's not like he doesn't mind winning his own footy, and yet time and time again finishes off with zero tackles.

It must have been one of the things Simpson and co wanted him to work on when they kept dropping him over and over all those years :shrug:

1558110490137.png

Even Gaff laid 5 tackles vs Melbourne.

+ We won from only playing one quarter. I’ll take it any which way it comes at the moment
+ Killing Melbourne’s hopes and dreams again
+ Cotton Eye Yeo on fire
+ That Ryan mark wowee

- Imagine if we played more than one quarter
- Constantly letting Melbourne players just roam with no one on them, proved costly at times

I just don't get it. He's around the footy for so much of the game, ranked #2 at the club for contested possessions so it's not like he doesn't mind winning his own footy, and yet time and time again finishes off with zero tackles.

It must have been one of the things Simpson and co wanted him to work on when they kept dropping him over and over all those years :shrug:

View attachment 675893

Inside mids generally get a couple tackles a game, even the 1 way stars. It could come down to his speed and injury.

^ Exactly.

If snail Priddis could bag himself a handful of tackles a game just through congestion and around the stoppages, i don't see why Dom can't.

Baffling. Very baffling.

You have to go back to 2014 to find his last game in the WAFL where he didn't lay a tackle. Averaged just under 4 tackles a game in 2018.

View attachment 675893

Badly injured his pectoral muscle a few years ago, maybe he can't tackle or is afraid to in case he gets injured that way again.

I thought Oscar showed a lot of character tonight. Terrible early but got a lot better as the match progressed. Would have learned a lot tonight.

One of, if not the luckiest swingman KPP in the game. Learns from JK and Darling up forward, Hurn & Gov down back and Nic in the ruck.

Last edited:
Ryan's work to get to a position to take that mark is just as impressive as the result. Big run.
His run was awesome. The first thing I thought was I wish I had some media skills to dub a David Attenborough "stalks it's prey before striking" kind of bit over that long arcing run and destruction of Gawn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back