Positives and Negatives vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

- Sheed's tackle count. Wtf is going on with this? 8 tackles for the season. Another 0 tackle game.
Sheed is a purely offensive mid
Ive seen him literally stand next to an opposition player with the ball with his arms outstretched looking like hes willing the player to get away.he wont tackle unless its an absolute last resort

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Happy to see the win, always better than losing. But the last quarter is what is frustrating with this team at the moment, it shows what we are capable of and what we were doing for four quarters same time last year. It was the same as last week against Saints, we play in patches, that won't fly if we make finals.

The other issue for me is guys can coast because there is not a lot pushing up in the WAFL right now.

We are at our other home ground next week, it would be nice to see a 4 quarter effort.

Just watched it after a long-ass day at work.

+ Yeo was absolutely magnificent. Intense, running, totally devoted and 100% on point. His tap led to the famous mark.
+ Ryan. Nuff said.
+ Rioli and Cripps
+ I thought Hickey did some great little hand work and showed intent and effort despite being dominated.
+ Allen showed flashes of goodness. He's super inexperienced as such a young player, but shows promise. As someone above said, I think he learns a bit each week. Keep him away from forwards, keep him in the backs / ruck.
+ Shuey
+ Hurn outstanding. How in campaingerly hell was he ever overlooked for AA captain? Oh wait, he plays for us.
+ as much as I hate Carey, he called out Ablett's BS getting off on television - kudos, none of the other bodily waste stains did...

= neutral =
a few of Vardy's efforts were ok. He made a few tackles and showed some intent but his rucking was shocking

- The Vic commentary cheerleaders were out in force. You know it's bad when Carey, one of the biggest campaigners of all was one of the better voices. I reckon Ling and BT both have red and blue hanging out their mouths. Seriously... it was beyond a joke. When will WA ever get another voice? We need someone, anyone to balance it out.
- Vardy, was totally outclassed most of the game and he's well out of form (Hickey + Allen)
- The Jetta tackle was a non-issue. If you watch it, he's clearly not trying to kill the guy. His head gets pinned awkwardly AFTER not before he hits the ground.
- The VIC commentators pouncing and foaming over a 1 week suspension
- People talking about McGovern like he's a fatty overweight porker. The man is a legend, he's hardly fat. WTF are they even on about?
- Darling: as much as I respect the man, he's well out of form. Unfortunately, I don't think we have anyone to replace him, do we?

I actually don't mind these scrappy wins. Don't get me wrong, I love a good flogging like any sane human being, but you get to take away so much more from a game like this. Being tested gives Simmo the opportunity to see what works to stop the other side's momentum which you don't get when you just floor the oppo from go to whoa.

I love the resilience of this team. The efforts against Port and Geelong (and Brisbane to a lesser extent) were putrid but it just goes to show how hard you have to work to beat this team. When you come at the kings you best not miss, because if we have half a sniff at the end of the game we will get you.

Did anyone click about that Shuey goal from the pocket was the exact opposite play from his grand final pass to Darling when he dropped it?

Remember a Shuey interview saying in the GF he looked up and thought I'll kick this but saw Darling free and did the team thing and passed.

Last night there was no free Darling so he just drilled it instead.:D:cool::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Gonna watch the replay later, was out at both Jnr Girls footy games last night...was tracking score and only caught the epic last qtr featuring Flying Ryan.

+
Willie is back
Ryan's grab
Last quarter
Good teams win close matches, and I guess we are doing that
Yeo tackling like a beast

+/-
Petch. Actually liked him getting pinged a little because it means he is willing to use his main weapon and take the game on. Really needs to work on his finishing though.

-
Outclassed in the ruck. We have to go a long way back to find a time when we didnt have the games best rucks
Venables KO. Does Masto come back in for him?
Playing one quarter of footy a week won't get the job done forever.
Paging Jack Darling... Jack Darling please report to Optus Stadium.

Yeo was a beast. Judd like in that he decided to pick the team up and drag us over the line.
Hurn played an AA captains game last night.
Ryan is getting better every game he playa.
Ryans mark over Gawn MOTY. Gawn at 200cm was owned.
Shuey and Sheed great games.
Oscar has go go gaget arms and should keep Schofield out of the team IMO. Play him back as a HUNTERRRRR swing man type, Waterman takes Venners spot.
Petrocelle rag dolled was funyny as f#*@
Kennedy slowly building fitness and form
Willie is bqck
Cole and Shep were rocks.

Not so good

Venners, hioe he is ok.
Darlings form.......weird .........just very strange.
Rucks.
Team form so so patchy during games.

+ JK building well
+ Rioli, Cripps and Ryan - 5 goals and causing plenty of havoc
+Yeo - BOG
+ Shuey, Gaff and Sheed had plenty of it
+ Hurn - Subperb
+ Ryans mark

- 3rd quarter we were lucky to be 12 points down
- Jack Darling is horribly out of form
- Vardy needs to go out and in with Schofield move Allen to ruck

I wasn't overly convinced with Allen at FB. He's too talented to be there for one, but also was a whisker away from being exposed a few times. I feel like there was a bit of luck involved there, but good on him for giving it his best after being thrown in the deep end. No discredit to him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wasn't overly convinced with Allen at FB. He's too talented to be there for one, but also was a whisker away from being exposed a few times. I feel like there was a bit of luck involved there, but good on him for giving it his best after being thrown in the deep end. No discredit to him.
I thought he was pretty good as a bandaid and offered as much as Schofield has been giving us so far this year. The only big criticism I have of him in the D50 is that for a guy who can spoil pretty well he needs to learn where to spoil to.

I agree that we don't want him there full time. I don't think anybody would. Great option to have in a pinch though.

- For 2.9 quarters it seemed like the team I love was going out of its way to make me sad :(

+ They were able to flick the switch, so I'm pretty sure our issues are still mostly mental, and therefore fixable
+ We've got the captain to help turn it around
+ I'm not a Dees fan

Negatives:
- I was losing my nut for 3 quarters
- unless nics back, 2 ruck combo is a liability
- vardy was horrendus, provided great entertainment seeing him ragdolled by gawn
- midfield innability to defend the transition, the dees got half their goals so easy.
- darling keeps playing like jane
- lack of plan b

Positives
- played 1 quarter of footy and won
- yeo
- kennedy gaining fitness and form

POSITIVES
+ Hurny - unbelievable solid and reliable.
+ That mark. has been threatening for a while to take it!
+ Yeo - underestimated this year I reckon.
+ the last quarter. not sure why it took us that long to remember to run.

NEGATIVES
- Vardy. enough said.
- darling. Ditto. frustrating but hard to replace. takes a solid defender everytime
- commentators were deplorable
- we need to lift our running intensity in the middle of the ground. that way we can give better supply to the forwards as some of those kicks into our 50 were shocking.
- bring back our intensity and skill level from the Pies game. we need to find it real soon or we'll get found out.

+/-
Petch. Actually liked him getting pinged a little because it means he is willing to use his main weapon and take the game on. Really needs to work on his finishing though.
That said he had space in front if he had handballed forward. The tackler would have had little choice but to professionally foul him or risk him running into an open goal. If hes smart he can use the "fear" of getting burnt to rack up some easy free kicks (that awareness will hopefully come). The great Peter Matera would very rarely get caught like that.

That said he had space in front if he had handballed forward. The tackler would have had little choice but to professionally foul him or risk him running into an open goal. If hes smart he can use the "fear" of getting burnt to rack up some easy free kicks (that awareness will hopefully come). The great Peter Matera would very rarely get caught like that.
My thoughts exactly at the time. Like Jetta and Ryan do, they handball into space in front, the player has to give a professional free kick away or try back himself to follow up and win the loose ball which rarely works. He also had a little space to the boundary to veer away slightly but chose not to. He'll leaern though, just a few decisions off breaking away there.

We all know about Sheed's pec though, that's not the issue though. It's his efforts in general. I know he can lay a tackle, I've seen it before and I think it's definitely a mental thing, which is good because he can change it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back