Positives and Negatives vs Melbourne

kerrazy

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Is the west coast of old returning?
In the last quarter we totally put the foot down and kicked 6.1 to their 1.3.
If you ignore the stats up until 3 quarter time we killed them in the last when it needed to be won.
Beat them in clearances, inside 50s and even the tackle count which we always concede defeat in.
Are we back?

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I thought he was pretty good as a bandaid and offered as much as Schofield has been giving us so far this year. The only big criticism I have of him in the D50 is that for a guy who can spoil pretty well he needs to learn where to spoil to.

I agree that we don't want him there full time. I don't think anybody would. Great option to have in a pinch though.
I think there were a few occasions that he tapped a ball into space for Demons wave of players to run onto, did it a few times and I was pulling my hair out. Can't back yourself to win balls at ground level when we have notoriously bad back up off hands at the marking contest. Needed to be more forceful in playing a defensive game, killing the ball.

Balls In

Brownlow Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Can anyone confirm the reports that words to the effect of "were the Eagles Melboune are ****ed" were sung post game? Looked like something odd happened and the boys had a "cant believe that just happened" chuckle going.

Please say yes.

Last edited:

kerrazy

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Negative: second game in a row that hutchings played without a role. If he ain't tagging, he offers nothing else to the side.

There was no one to tag last week and he dishes up a trashy game. This week I thought he would have played on oliver, but he didn't? Ends with 12 disposals in the midfield and ZERO tackles.

Simmo, if you don't give Hutchings a role, drop him for someone else. Masten offers far more and I don't rate Masten.

mad_eagle

Premiership Player
Nov 17, 2008
Perth, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys
- playing predominately like dog shite

+ still 6-3

It’s not pretty, but we’re still on the right end of the ledger. It’s only May...there is still time to find our best, plus the big fella is on the way. God we need him right now!

Sep 10, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Toronto Maple Leafs
I just heard the radio call of the Ryan mark, so I went an rewatched it:

-ve : what a flat call for the most exciting point of the game. Seriously. Scores level in teh 4th, Ryan takes a hanger in the goalsquare and all BT can muster is the excitement of a regulation mark on the lead in the first quarter.

Shifty1

Club Legend
Aug 1, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
It was good to see us doing the little things in the 4th that had big results i.e. Yeo thumping the ball out of the 50 leading to Ryan's goal, Pet's two kicks off the ground and Redden winning a 2 on 1 leading to Darling's goal. Made a big difference.

Balls In

Brownlow Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
I just heard the radio call of the Ryan mark, so I went an rewatched it:

-ve : what a flat call for the most exciting point of the game. Seriously. Scores level in teh 4th, Ryan takes a hanger in the goalsquare and all BT can muster is the excitement of a regulation mark on the lead in the first quarter.

In fairness the commentary team was gutted when he took that mark.

shooshka

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Interesting that Darling was our 7th best player on the player ratings...

And had his best quarter in the last (not alone there), but certainly something maybe I should know already that he plays a lot better when the up the ground players are doing their job well.

Redden and vardy our worst 2 outside of venables (injury inflicted obviously) and that is how it felt watching the game.

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jan 14, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Interesting that Darling was our 7th best player on the player ratings...

And had his best quarter in the last (not alone there), but certainly something maybe I should know already that he plays a lot better when the up the ground players are doing their job well.

Just rewatched the game and want to point out that in the 3rd when we were at risk of being blown away Darling provided 2 direct goal assists to Kennedy - and they were both in prime positions.

twinkletoes#17

Coaster
May 30, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Just rewatched the game and want to point out that in the 3rd when we were at risk of being blown away Darling provided 2 direct goal assists to Kennedy - and they were both in prime positions.

If some people took their blinkers off and rewatched the game - they would see Darling was important at various stages and worked his guts out for most of the game. I criticised Darling early in the season but his work rate has picked up and he has been important.

Though if some on here had their way JK would have been dropped a few rounds back as he is passed it so trying to tell them Darling did anything good is a waste of time.

Does anyone know why Schofield was a late scratching? Was it a genuine injury or a tactical move?

Was sore all week and didn’t train. I assume it stems from the massive hit to the ribs in the Saints game.

I think the move was genuine but suspect the timing may have been tactical.

Aug 31, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
If you ignore the stats up until 3 quarter time we killed them in the last when it needed to be won.
Beat them in clearances, inside 50s and even the tackle count which we always concede defeat in.
Are we back?

Our two final quarters the last two weeks have been excellent. Five goals up against the Saints, we come out with real intent and desire and with accurate kicking, we should have been 8-9 goals ahead.

Then last night, 2 goals down, we played with an authority and desire. We are running out games well, I guess it comes down to the contest, eradicating those poor lapses in concentration and a consistent effort. It is still there and hopefully we keep building! 👍

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Was Redden really that bad?

I'd say his disposal wasn't very clean but he did some good things. Sheed, Redden, Hutchings, Ryan, Yeo and Duggan all hads pretty poor disposal all night. Even Shuey wasn't that great in that department except his kicks on goal.

To me Hurn and Gov were the best ball users by so far it stood out like dogs balls, especially Gov who is very hit and miss. Some easy handballs missed by our guys under little to no pressure and some kicks that were rushed for no reason (Cole, Sheed, Duggan, Hutchings).

Still waiting for the replay myself to have a proper look without distractions.

FatPizza

Premiership Player
May 25, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Was Redden really that bad?

I'd say his disposal wasn't very clean but he did some good things. Sheed, Redden, Hutchings, Ryan, Yeo and Duggan all hads pretty poor disposal all night. Even Shuey wasn't that great in that department except his kicks on goal.

To me Hurn and Gov were the best ball users by so far it stood out like dogs balls, especially Gov who is very hit and miss. Some easy handballs missed by our guys under little to no pressure and some kicks that were rushed for no reason (Cole, Sheed, Duggan, Hutchings).

Still waiting for the replay myself to have a proper look without distractions.
He did some good one percenters but some of his fumbling was terrible.

Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
-ve s
JD's effort currently
Slow ball movement is killing us. I know we are kick mark team but that doesn't mean we cant kick mark fast and pull the trigger
Too many long down the lines. Players aren't running hard enough to create space and options.
Both ruckmen
Venables injury
tackling effort other than a select few
Defensive running - We are too slow to react from turnovers

+ves
Hurns intercepting
JK, still needs to find his touch
Rioli fitting in seamlessly
Duggan getting more involved (just needs to lift disposal efficiency)
Cole's best game of the year

Jiggyman

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Are we back?
Our tackling has improved immensely over the last few weeks. Best figures we've seen for a long time. Other teams are particularly invested in exposing our strategy, and we're gradually finding ways to adapt and win. The first half was a complete dichotomy between patient, tempo footy and a 'play on at all costs' mentality. Unlike the Port game earlier this year, Melbourne's poor finishing left the door ajar for us to fight back into the game with a more direct approach.

When the pressure was on in the last, we forced high opposition kicks to McGovern and Hurn, body-lined the footy in the midfield and got it deep enough to give our smalls a chance. Melbourne were rattled. Gawn was just about out of gas.

It resembled recent late-game surges, such as Geelong 18, Port 18, Pies x2 18 etc... Just grind them out.

random260

Premiership Player
Apr 20, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I also recall the wce of old (last year) not as flat track bullies. One thing last year is we never won by lots of points. We would battle it out and win by 15 points on average.

Back