Positives and Negatives vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
He did some good one percenters but some of his fumbling was terrible.
Just finished the replay and you're right, his disposals were quite poor but he wasn't alone. Shuey, Yeo and Sheed were all guilty of poor disposals as well but they also had more disposals total and therefore more good disposals as well.

Gaff was the best ball user in the middle of the ground I think. Handballs were spot on and when he did throw it on the boot he really had no other choice, whereas the others were a little too quick to throw it on the boot without looking.

One thing I picked up on the replay was Xavier Ellis confirming that Hutchings is in Masten's role as defensive wingman, backed up again by him being the highest on the ground for 'distance covered at high speed', something he has only done the last two weeks after replacing Masten. I did notice him being there at the ground ball get hitting the bal at pace a few times and being a handball release for Hurn a number of ocassions. It's a very low production role obviously and I would like Hutch to keep going. Taking him out of genuine tackling positions sort of takes away one of his strengths though, he's stronger in the air than Masten, probably a worse kick.

Brave Sir Robin

Cancelled
Jun 27, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Hopefully we take it to the tribunal.

It was more the show boating umpire's fault for refusing to pay it.
Zero point contesting it. I don't think that needs to be a suspension but the form line is clear on similar incidents, the AFL doesn't want concussions in the game and there is no reason for them to overturn the MRO's decision.

I imagine the second point was tongue in cheek but it would be funny going to the tribunal and blaming the umpire for causing the concussion.

May 8, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
+ Yeo got us back in the game when we were playing like garbage
+ JK kicking goals again
+ Bunga best capt in the league
+ 4 points and still banking games

- Sheed, Gaff, Redden need to step up
- Darling playing like his old self, cant take a mark or influence a contest for shite.
- Still too many passengers, very inconsistent across 4 qtrs

Oxirane

All Australian
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
I'd only contest it if the medical report said that it was concussion (and attributed it to the Jetta tackle). Just to keep bringing up this 'delayed concussion' business where team doctors are sending players back onto the field without concussion tests, then saying symptoms (that they know exactly which event caused them) appeared the moment after the final siren in the report to the MRP.

I think it was similar for Webster at St Kilda and Amon at Port.

LittleGreekGod

Club Legend
Dec 24, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Just finished the replay and you're right, his disposals were quite poor but he wasn't alone. Shuey, Yeo and Sheed were all guilty of poor disposals as well but they also had more disposals total and therefore more good disposals as well.

Gaff was the best ball user in the middle of the ground I think. Handballs were spot on and when he did throw it on the boot he really had no other choice, whereas the others were a little too quick to throw it on the boot without looking.

One thing I picked up on the replay was Xavier Ellis confirming that Hutchings is in Masten's role as defensive wingman, backed up again by him being the highest on the ground for 'distance covered at high speed', something he has only done the last two weeks after replacing Masten. I did notice him being there at the ground ball get hitting the bal at pace a few times and being a handball release for Hurn a number of ocassions. It's a very low production role obviously and I would like Hutch to keep going. Taking him out of genuine tackling positions sort of takes away one of his strengths though, he's stronger in the air than Masten, probably a worse kick.
If Hutch doesn't have a player to tag then I doubt that he has a role to play in the team.
Hi skills are not the greatest and I for one cringe every time I see him ball in hand.
I still think that Masten is the best player for this task but I did heard at the ground last night that he has been carrying an injury of some sort for the past month.

Nov 13, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Bloody love Allen and what he does. Wasn't a fantastic game down back but got better as the game went on. And ya just know he'll be raking over footage and learning from that one, both as a defender and as a forward.

Heaps good how much of a chance he's getting this year to develop as a young, versatile tall. Easy to forget he's only had one real preseason after an interrupted start to his career.

twinkletoes#17

Coaster
May 30, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
This is my new positive:

Freo supporters are now eagerly listening to our team song on repeat

Edit: and throw in this classy version of their team song including "Melbourne are sh!t" for good measure. Pretty sure I heard "and the Dockers" as well, but maybe that is just me.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/afl/afl/eagles-forget-their-song!731140

Definitely in there... twice.

**** I hope we smash those arrogant campaigners next time. We would have flogged them had we kicked straight and Melbourne had them on toast until their usual corrupt umpiring gifted them the game.

Must be due for another demolition derby by now?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is my new positive:

Freo supporters are now eagerly listening to our team song on repeat
Bud don’t quote the users on our board

Remove their usernames

Massive negative.

CASA has suspended Liam Ryan for 2 weeks for failing to lodge a flight plan.

Also all the people potting Vardy for getting into Gawn. Vards has plenty of games under his belt and hasn't acted like a campaigner previously. There was obviously a fair bit of lip and aggro going on in that one so you have to cut a guy some slack. Willie got into him too but crickets from the critics...

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Massive negative.

CASA has suspended Liam Ryan for 2 weeks for failing to lodge a flight plan.

Also all the people potting Vardy for getting into Gawn. Vards has plenty of games under his belt and hasn't acted like a campaigner previously. There was obviously a fair bit of lip and aggro going on in that one so you have to cut a guy some slack. Willie got into him too but crickets from the critics...
Generally, winners are grinners.

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
+ Yeo got us back in the game when we were playing like garbage
+ JK kicking goals again
+ Bunga best capt in the league
+ 4 points and still banking games

- Sheed, Gaff, Redden need to step up
- Darling playing like his old self, cant take a mark or influence a contest for shite.
- Still too many passengers, very inconsistent across 4 qtrs
I would add to your positives Vardy was a big influence in the last as was Mc G. Jetta was outstanding with his ball use and Liam R was massive with his work rate.

Aug 12, 2014
P-town
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts, Prescot Cables
I'd only contest it if the medical report said that it was concussion (and attributed it to the Jetta tackle). Just to keep bringing up this 'delayed concussion' business where team doctors are sending players back onto the field without concussion tests, then saying symptoms (that they know exactly which event caused them) appeared the moment after the final siren in the report to the MRP.

I think it was similar for Webster at St Kilda and Amon at Port.
It's bullshit. It seems like a way clubs can get around the concussion rules. Also, if a player has delayed concussion, how do you attribute that to one incident over the many hits a player gets during a game?

On Dom Sheed.

His defensive effort last night was shitting me to tears, and his season tackle numbers (given how much time he spends on ball) are almost impossible to believe. I wanted to look in to it, so I've clipped together all the stoppages he, or his direct opponent, influenced last night. A few things:

• I don't want this to be a referendum on Sheed's ability. He brings a lot more to the table than his defensive efforts at stoppages, but I just wanted to have a look. This isn't a pile on Dom Sheed post.

• I don't know his role. Perhaps the coaches have told him to be an offensive option and there's cover somewhere else for his man. It's not for me to say, though I'd speculate that that isn't the case and he still holds a lot of defensive resposibility. He bodies his opponent at nearly every stoppage, he's clearly got some duty to mark them at some level, so I think this is just an area he needs improvement but I may not be seeing the full picture.

• I've only done this for Sheed. If I went through and did the same for Redden, or Shuey, or Yeo, would it look similar? I don't know. Again - this was just to see if my frustrations during a tense game were warranted, this isn't meant to tear Dom Sheed down.

After doing this, it confirmed my suspicions that a lot of Melbourne's easy use out of the middle was Sheed's man (often Jones). He shows very little intent to go defensively with his man and, if he isn't getting on the ball, has very little impact at stoppages.

He was seemingly far more effective around the ground than getting his hands on it at stoppages, which surprised me. When he gets on the ball at stoppages, he's great. When he doesn't, he disappears entirely and often times his man gets involved.

His biggest issue seems to be intent. It's that simple. 0:38 is an example from a stoppage - Jones does nothing but pick up some speed and that's Sheed burned. The Clayton Oliver spoil at 1:08 is a great example (I know it's not a stoppage but I thought it was important). He puts in a good spoil, Oliver follows up and Sheed is nowhere to be seen as he slows to a jog for no reason.

Similarly at 2:04 - look at the ease with which Jones puts distance between himself and Sheed. Several taps, and a handful of plays around the ground, his man is the most damaging option because Sheed isn't putting in the work.

Something to watch going forward perhaps.

Last edited:

BeornJ

Premiership Player
Sep 17, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
One I just remembered. ...

+Petch, Gaff and Jetts winning an important clearance vs 9 melbourne players in the first quarter. Seriously so damn good and not from renowned contested players. First quarter with 12:50 left on the clock

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
On Dom Sheed.

His defensive effort last night was shitting me to tears, and his season tackle numbers (given how much time he spends on ball) are almost impossible to believe. I wanted to look in to it, so I've clipped together all the stoppages he, or his direct opponent, influenced last night. A few things:

• I don't want this to be a referendum on Sheed's ability. He brings a lot more to the table than his defensive efforts at stoppages, but I just wanted to have a look. This isn't a pile on Dom Sheed post.

• I don't know his role. Perhaps the coaches have told him to be an offensive option and there's cover somewhere else for his man. It's not for me to say, though I'd speculate that that isn't the case and he still holds a lot of defensive resposibility. He bodies his opponent at nearly every stoppage, he's clearly got some duty to mark them at some level, so I think this is just an area he needs improvement but I may not be seeing the full picture.

• I've only done this for Sheed. If I went through and did the same for Redden, or Shuey, or Yeo, would it look similar? I don't know. Again - this was just to see if my frustrations during a tense game were warranted, this isn't meant to tear Dom Sheed down.

After doing this, it confirmed my suspicions that a lot of Melbourne's easy use out of the middle was Sheed's man (often Jones). He shows very little intent to go defensively with his man and, if he isn't getting on the ball, has very little impact at stoppages.

He was seemingly far more effective around the ground than getting his hands on it at stoppages, which surprised me. When he gets on the ball at stoppages, he's great. When he doesn't, he disappears entirely and often times his man gets involved.

His biggest issue seems to be intent. It's that simple. 0:38 is an example from a stoppage - Jones does nothing but pick up some speed and that's Sheed burned. The Clayton Oliver spoil at 1:08 is a great example (I know it's not a stoppage but I thought it was important). He puts in a good spoil, Oliver follows up and Sheed is nowhere to be seen as he slows to a jog for no reason.

Similarly at 2:04 - look at the ease with which Jones puts distance between himself and Sheed. Several taps, and a handful of plays around the ground, his man is the most damaging option because Sheed isn't putting in the work.

Something to watch going forward perhaps.

Thank you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back