Positives and Negatives vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

On Dom Sheed.

His defensive effort last night was shitting me to tears, and his season tackle numbers (given how much time he spends on ball) are almost impossible to believe. I wanted to look in to it, so I've clipped together all the stoppages he, or his direct opponent, influenced last night. A few things:

• I don't want this to be a referendum on Sheed's ability. He brings a lot more to the table than his defensive efforts at stoppages, but I just wanted to have a look. This isn't a pile on Dom Sheed post.

• I don't know his role. Perhaps the coaches have told him to be an offensive option and there's cover somewhere else for his man. It's not for me to say, though I'd speculate that that isn't the case and he still holds a lot of defensive resposibility. He bodies his opponent at nearly every stoppage, he's clearly got some duty to mark them at some level, so I think this is just an area he needs improvement but I may not be seeing the full picture.

• I've only done this for Sheed. If I went through and did the same for Redden, or Shuey, or Yeo, would it look similar? I don't know. Again - this was just to see if my frustrations during a tense game were warranted, this isn't meant to tear Dom Sheed down.

After doing this, it confirmed my suspicions that a lot of Melbourne's easy use out of the middle was Sheed's man (often Jones). He shows very little intent to go defensively with his man and, if he isn't getting on the ball, has very little impact at stoppages.

He was seemingly far more effective around the ground than getting his hands on it at stoppages, which surprised me. When he gets on the ball at stoppages, he's great. When he doesn't, he disappears entirely and often times his man gets involved.

His biggest issue seems to be intent. It's that simple. 0:38 is an example from a stoppage - Jones does nothing but pick up some speed and that's Sheed burned. The Clayton Oliver spoil at 1:08 is a great example (I know it's not a stoppage but I thought it was important). He puts in a good spoil, Oliver follows up and Sheed is nowhere to be seen as he slows to a jog for no reason.

Similarly at 2:04 - look at the ease with which Jones puts distance between himself and Sheed. Several taps, and a handful of plays around the ground, his man is the most damaging option because Sheed isn't putting in the work.

Something to watch going forward perhaps.

Try it with Fyff's man tonight.
You will find he had 36 possessions.

On Dom Sheed.

His defensive effort last night was shitting me to tears, and his season tackle numbers (given how much time he spends on ball) are almost impossible to believe. I wanted to look in to it, so I've clipped together all the stoppages he, or his direct opponent, influenced last night. A few things:

• I don't want this to be a referendum on Sheed's ability. He brings a lot more to the table than his defensive efforts at stoppages, but I just wanted to have a look. This isn't a pile on Dom Sheed post.

• I don't know his role. Perhaps the coaches have told him to be an offensive option and there's cover somewhere else for his man. It's not for me to say, though I'd speculate that that isn't the case and he still holds a lot of defensive resposibility. He bodies his opponent at nearly every stoppage, he's clearly got some duty to mark them at some level, so I think this is just an area he needs improvement but I may not be seeing the full picture.

• I've only done this for Sheed. If I went through and did the same for Redden, or Shuey, or Yeo, would it look similar? I don't know. Again - this was just to see if my frustrations during a tense game were warranted, this isn't meant to tear Dom Sheed down.

After doing this, it confirmed my suspicions that a lot of Melbourne's easy use out of the middle was Sheed's man (often Jones). He shows very little intent to go defensively with his man and, if he isn't getting on the ball, has very little impact at stoppages.

He was seemingly far more effective around the ground than getting his hands on it at stoppages, which surprised me. When he gets on the ball at stoppages, he's great. When he doesn't, he disappears entirely and often times his man gets involved.

His biggest issue seems to be intent. It's that simple. 0:38 is an example from a stoppage - Jones does nothing but pick up some speed and that's Sheed burned. The Clayton Oliver spoil at 1:08 is a great example (I know it's not a stoppage but I thought it was important). He puts in a good spoil, Oliver follows up and Sheed is nowhere to be seen as he slows to a jog for no reason.

Similarly at 2:04 - look at the ease with which Jones puts distance between himself and Sheed. Several taps, and a handful of plays around the ground, his man is the most damaging option because Sheed isn't putting in the work.

Yes, he is too slow in those sort of situations, and gets burned, this a liability. He is better, as you say, around the ground, roaming between the 50 arcs.

Positive is I watched the game live and once again spared myself the miserable has been and never wasers * wit channel seven commetery team who are an appalling boys club of * wit * heads.
Kennedy was good very important in the first half and was his best game this season. A few others really stood up like Duggan,Yeo just to name a few that come to mind at this time of morning after the night before .Willie back.The voices from the hate filled s**t from hate filled envious pathetic opposition losers seems to back so that makes me think we are tracking alright.
The team were caught out a bit early and were not confident and a bit static and flat footed but the leaders got us through that and a bit of angry emerged during the game which was good.
Not much negatives at the end of the day.Melbourne were a bit undermaned but are a good team they went in with intent and a plan and threw it at us in that game and we beat them so all good.

On Dom Sheed.

2.36 is a classic Sheed example. Runs at a ground ball, is unable to beat a 205 cm ruckman to it, and then starts doing this bizarre flailing backwards thing for no reason - and suddenly he’s no chance of effecting the contest.

One effort and then surrenders and will just stand there watching what eventuates.

Also not sure what the deal with his balance is - has the strangest gait and seems to run around like he could topple over at any time

2.36 is a classic Sheed example. Runs at a ground ball, is unable to beat a 205 cm ruckman to it, and then starts doing this bizarre flailing backwards thing for no reason - and suddenly he’s no chance of effecting the contest.

One effort and then surrenders and will just stand there watching what eventuates.

Also not sure what the deal with his balance is - has the strangest gait and seems to run around like he could topple over at any time

He’s pridda 2.0. Traded the tackling skills and intensity for kicking skills.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm really surprised at the amount of **** he's getting over that. Players used as step ladders are always given **** afterwards.
We’d sometimes rip off a handful of grass and stuff it in their mouth while they were down, especially if you’d caught them holding the ball. Someone did it to me once, I saw the funny side. 🤷‍♂️ People getting a bit precious these days.

+ Yet again we snatch victory from the jaws of defeat!!
+ Didn't have a heart attack?
+ Ryan and /Cripps goal.
+ Our doggedness/endeavour
+ After winning last 3 games we've risen to the top four, while Freo lost their last 3 games and dropped to 8th!
- can't think of any apart from Venables and Jetta re next week against Crows at CrowPark (who just lost.)

HM - Hats off to Demons, with 10? players on injury list, to fly over here and play in hostile territory to face their own Demons from before, then to outgun the Eagles for 3 quarters!!...very impressive.

Touching on our willingness to take the game on.

One thing i've noticed over the season and even last season is our willingness to go for goal from +55m. Yeo seems to be the only one that does it but guys like Bunga and Jett's have cut that out of their game.

Touching on our willingness to take the game on.

One thing i've noticed over the season and even last season is our willingness to go for goal from +55m. Yeo seems to be the only one that does it but guys like Bunga and Jett's have cut that out of their game.

Gov does but he shouldnt

Hurn used to let rip from 60m but never does now. He should do it at times.

Congratulations on the hard fought win!

I couldn't see an overall review thread, so hopefully its OK if I post the midfield frequency stats in here: this is an overall summary of how often each of your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at centre bounces.

Overall Summary - 26 Bounces

Gaff 24 (20w, 4i)
Hutchings 23 wing
Shuey 22 (1w)
Yeo 21 (1w)
Sheed 20 (4w)
Redden 17
Cripps 3 wing

Rucks:
Hickey 19
Vardy 7

1st Half - 12

Gaff 11 (7w, 4i)
Hutchings 10 wing
Shuey 10 (1w)
Sheed 10 (6i, 4w)
Yeo 9
Redden 8
Cripps 2 wing

Hickey 9
Vardy 3

2nd Half - 14

Gaff 13 wing
Hutchings 13 wing
Shuey 12
Yeo 12 (1w)
Sheed 10
Redden 9
Cripps 1 wing

Hickey 10
Vardy 4

Notes:
- Fewest inside starts for Gaff from the 4 analysed games since his return. This was also his fewest inside starts in analysed games since the 2017 Semi Final. 13 games featuring Gaff have been analysed since that match.
- First time in the 6 analysed games this season where Redden hasn't had a start on the wing. The last time Redden didn't have a wing start in analysed games (and also finished in your top 6 mids) was Rd 19, 2017 - 23 games have been analysed since.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Negs...We are getting killed by run through the middle. Not just this game.Gaff,Sheed and Hutchiung in there is very sloooooow!
..said last week that Hickey against Gawn was not a good plan.Dont care about his stats;i thought we looked better when Vardy was around the ball.
..Is it Hurn not willing to take a punt on a infield/attacking kick? or is it nobody working hard enough to present.We cant go on like this! Conservative footy will ultimately start to cost us!
Pos....That mark!
...Riolis goal.Hello im baaaack!
...Jettas great handball.
...Oallen got caned early but got better as the game went on.He keeps his eye on the ball and by doing so manages to get a hand in the contest.
...Yo. That first half was a tackling masterclass.I said into the third quarter that we couldnt win; the main reason being; Wheres the improvement going to come from? Yo couldnt get any better. WCE could do worse than sit a player like Brander down and say "son;watch Yo in action and that is what you must aspire to". Cant get a kick?Cant get a mark? Get some tackles!That half of footy by Yo was the difference between winning and losing that game.
....JK; what a champion! The consummate professional.Even his chest mark on the lead.Turned the body,stuck the bum out,no problem.Hit contests hard and always has a plan B.
....Holy Moley did i see Jack Darling lay a couple of big tackles?I realise i was fairly pissed.

Final thoughts..Would be interesting to play Cameron in a home game.hes very talented and has a good work ethic.I think a bit of exposure to Ryan and Rioli would be good for him.
...We dont just need to get last years form back;we must surpass it!
...People moaning that we are playing these Crab teams into form must also realise that they are playing us into form as well.Everybody wants to beat us and going on current form they all think they are a chance.Playing hard tough games week in week out is ideal preparation for finals.

On Dom Sheed.

It’s been annoying to me too his lack of chase and zero accountability but that’s the package you get with Sheed ..

See if you can find something where he shepherds or blocks for a teammate..No just forget that , as it could end up being on a wild goose chase ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Later...

5429749a262a1933e564bf42ad240cba.jpg

Having a fast midfield is overrated. As long as they run hard and hit targets, the scoring will come.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back