Positives and Negatives vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Of those occasions Gaff got the ball running to the right wing and getting caught on his wrong foot I reckon Dom Sheed passed to him every time. The transition definitely slowed down when Dom had the ball but he did well not to waste it at least. But when he is caught not being able to use his left there's not much logic in going to another lefty who is running the wrong way.
Dom always burns runners after he takes a mark. We would be so much more damaging if he gave the hands. Our ball movement would be seamless. Drives me insane.

Dom always burns runners after he takes a mark. We would be so much more damaging if he gave the hands. Our ball movement would be seamless. Drives me insane.

He had a good first option of overlap run a few times but it must have been drilled into him to work the ball sideways or forwards by foot to the half forward line. Not once do I recall he was looking to load up from the centre coming out of defence and bomb it into the 50.

I hope it'll mesh more as the seasons go on but knowing when to play on with hands and when to chip kick will make us even more potent. Any of those handball receives at full flight up the corridor are almost guaranteed to be a mark/goal for us.

Had a look at the stats and Redden with 9 touches and Yeo with 12 is interesting.

Redden having lower touches due to less time in the middle is probably a reality but he would want more of the ball than that. Had those numbers a bit in 2016/2017 where he was a headless chook on the forward flank.

You'd be fooled into thinking Dom has a basketball background the way he slows everything down when he takes possession.

Allows the traffic to flow past and ignores plenty of first options before waddling off. It's somewhat unexpected and i think catches opposition players off guard.

Well done on the win gents. You were too good for us, had too much talent for us and just did what you needed to do to keep us at arms length, ie - just the one goal in the last qtr.

Gaff, Shuey, Ryan, Nick Nat, Sheed and Kelly (who I thought faded in the 2nd half) and Spargo were dominant for you guys. Viney excellent for us

I thought the Dees were extremely poor FWIW.

Just out of interest, do you think you would've beaten GWS, Richmond or Collingwood based on your performance on Sunday? I hope the answer is yes to make me feel better ;)

Best of luck for the year ahead. Hope you beat Richmond or Collingwood in the big one as my wife and her brother are die hard WC fans.

Well done on the win gents. You were too good for us, had too much talent for us and just did what you needed to do to keep us at arms length, ie - just the one goal in the last qtr.

Gaff, Shuey, Ryan, Nick Nat, Sheed and Kelly (who I thought faded in the 2nd half) and Spargo were dominant for you guys. Viney excellent for us

Just out of interest, do you think you would've beaten GWS, Richmond or Collingwood based on your performance on Sunday? I hope the answer is yes to make me feel better ;)

Best of luck for the year ahead. Hope you beat Richmond or Collingwood in the big one as my wife and her brother are die hard WC fans.
Thanks for the kind comments. You’re clearly a much better human than me, if my brother and wife went for a different team, I’d be barracking for any team but theirs.

One thing I did notice after watching the game a few times is that Melbourne were using Gaff against us on their goal kick-outs.

There were several times when Gaff was guarding the flank one on one and they kicked it in the air to that contest every time. And Gaff lost them all. Melbourne ran it out on those occasions with space behind them. So Gaff needs another player nearby or he has to stand in another area for goal kick outs

There might be a few back handed compliments in there, but I'll take you on face value.

It was a very difficult game to get a read on, as both teams knew before bounce-down that a suspension was coming. They probably had a sense on the impact of could have on their livelihood (the same way anyone would if their company was shutting for 2 months minimum).

If we played at that level, we would not beat Collingwood. Richmond didn't have a great game and seemed to do a similar thing to us - build a lead and then try again once the outclassed opponent got close. Hopefully the season does get 17 ends in and we can find out.

Melbourne definitely have talent on the list, the game plan is the problem. If Goodwin doesn't pull his finger out then he should get the sack at the end of the year.

Think we would have won by a lot more with our crowd putting Melbourne players under even more pressure. A lot of players down, Kennedy, Yeo, Redden, Petreculle but there was more than enough of a even spread of good players to carry us to a easy win.

Gaff was superb. His consistency is amazing. Kelly looked right at home. Barrass seemed to have rid himself of the jitters he had at the end of last season. Naitanui showed that when fit he's right in the best ruckmen in the game discussion. Liam Ryan's progression continues. Ah Chee took his chance. Hurn rock solid. Sheed likewise.

Petrecelle unsighted. McGovern looked like an F grade amateur. Don't like to pot young players but can anyone explain the club's faith in Jarrod Brander? Been talked up for 3 years now, especially on Big Footy, but has failed every time he's got an AFL game. Kennedy looked 5 years past it.

Uninspiring win. Looked rusty and errors galore, luckily Melbourne looked like the Melbourne of last year. Could barely have been gifted an easier opening/only game.

Ahh !! I used to think your nonsensical pro priddis arguments were as bad as it gets ( bar harryHighhorse35 of coarse)..
Now we have no footy
f*ck

Ah Chee: 2 goals, 2 goal assists, 6 score involvements and generally made something happen every time he was near the ball.

Still can't get a game the next week.

Got to feel for him - gets an opportunity, plays his best game for the club and then the competition is suspended.

Ahh !! I used to think your nonsensical pro priddis arguments were as bad as it gets ( bar harryHighhorse35 of coarse)..
Now we have no footy
f*ck

Matt Priddis? The two WAFL premiership player, Simpson Medallist, Sandover Medallist, Geoff Christian Medallist, Ross Glendinning Medallist, John Worsfold Medallist, West Coast Captain, Brownlow Medallist and runner up, All Australian Matt Priddis?

Incorrect.

There's no spots for him as a forward.

Except when he's been picked as a forward, you mean?

There's two schools of thought, 1) they've worked out he's unlikely to be a forward so are seeing if he can show something somewhere else or b) they still think he's a forward but he's behind Kennedy, Darling, Allen, Waterman, maybe even Ah Chee, so they'll simply play him out of position just to give him a game.

I go for the former, makes more sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back