Autopsy Positives and Negatives Vs Norf round 18

Remove this Banner Ad

+
A win. Keeps the slim top 4 chances alive.
Ryan. Absolute gun
Ainsworth... playing his part. Also the loudest thud into the post I have heard in a long time.
NicNat. Looks to have that hunger. Can will us over the line in any situation.

-
We cant play in slippery conditions.
JK. Hope he can make it back.
Still get slaughtered by the run and handball game.
Petch. What does he offer?
Kelly. What was that. A different man than the guy who won it last week for us.

Postives: Ryan, Nic Nat, Hurn, Sheppard, Duggan, Allen all good. Ryan is on another level atm has the game at his mercy imagine the damage if Rioli was riding shotgun.

Negatives: 1st qtr.
Small forwards other than Ryan have absolutely no idea what they are doing.
Ah Chee continually handballs to the opposition under pressure, Petrecelle needs a full pre season just so under done and lacking any confidence.

The lack of footy smarts from these guys is astounding. Look at the difference in a 1st year player like Aarts for the Tigers compared to Petch and Ah Chee always front and center getting into dangerous spots and using smarts to put the ball to a team mates advantage.

Losing Rioli and Venebles has been the biggest reason we have not made top 4. Rioli for the flair and skill Venebles for the selfless role he played, the tackling and defensive pressure as well as good ball use.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Gaff...highly underrated on this board....some people just don't get it
14 contested poss tonight, 1st in that stat for the game.

This from a bloke who was routinely called a seagul for the first half-decade of his career. He's developed his game in so many respects, and literally carried us in the middle as our other key mids have gone down. Contested ball is the stat that we've been persistently bad at as a team, and Gaffy is here dominating it.

Definitely needs to work on his kicking under pressure, but in reality that's the main thing distracting us from how great he's become everywhere else.

Think ol duggo may line up in the midfield in 2021? I don't think he will, but I'd like to see it, we got enough down back.

Shuey to spend more time forward and Duggan to the midfield?

14 contested poss tonight, 1st in that stat for the game.

This from a bloke who was routinely called a seagul for the first half-decade of his career. He's developed his game in so many respects, and literally carried us in the middle as our other key mids have gone down. Contested ball is the stat that we've been persistently bad at as a team, and Gaffy is here dominating it.

Definitely needs to work on his kicking under pressure, but in reality that's the main thing distracting us from how great he's become everywhere else.
Gaff's contested game came out of nowhere in 2018. Like plenty of young flankers wingers turn into balanced or inside mids but Gaff finding that part of the game at 26 is unheard of.

Small forwards other than Ryan have absolutely no idea what they are doing.

Maybe bit harsh but some truth to it. Given that Ryan is also providing such great value up the ground it’d be good to have a small crumber who can stay deep in what is a tall forward line. (Like Rioli.) And given we’ve tried a few players there I find it amazing that Cameron has been totally overlooked. (Not that he’ll get gig now.)

Baffling.

Cameron obviously still affected by OP not anywhere near the same player he was last year otherwise he is in the team
Maybe bit harsh but some truth to it. Given that Ryan is also providing such great value up the ground it’d be good to have a small crumber who can stay deep in what is a tall forward line. (Like Rioli.) And given we’ve tried a few players there I find it amazing that Cameron has been totally overlooked. (Not that he’ll get gig now.)

Baffling.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

+
WC Winner..bad wins and good losses are for bottom of the ladder dwellers
WC Finals..six in a row..four more Simmo and you can say hello to Mick

-
Tackling..the angles taken to the ball and the man are off too often..in addition the lack of finish after starting the wrap up is puzzling..like rebounding in basketball, tackling is less about amazing athletic prowess and more about position and imposing your will. I hope the rest and the stakes of Finals will bring proper focus and help remedy this.

Is the biggest positive for our side out of the 10 games in QLD. We've learnt how to play in slippery conditions, in all of our the games in QLD this time around we were in every game. Tigers game we gave too many free kicks inside 50.
Add to the fact, we've been undermanned.

Did we really learn how to play? Did we really adapt to QLD? I think that's questionable. We look like a 5th-6th place team in QLD while we look like a top 2 team in perth. That's the sad thing.

+
win, thought we may have dropped this one.

-
what a joke of a competition.
Times are good = all decisions are about maximising revenue.
Times are bad = all about integrity.

AFL done itself out of millions of dollars by not allowing Freo/WC to have a second round of hubbing in WA. The AFL & Roos wouldn’t want to be crying poor next year, given their could have landed themselves a lazy 1/4 million plus by playing this game in Perth.

There is one major positive

NicNat has made Max, Grundie and now Goldie his bitches.

Ladies and gentlemen, where do I get sized for my AA blazer?
I’d have to watch the game back again but I remember thinking that Goldy did pretty well tonight. Wasn’t Naita’s bitch by any stretch.

Wait...bitch is bleeped but bitches isn’t? Sigh.

The number of marks North had in the F50 was a worry. In the absence of McGovern I was hoping Schofield or even Rotham could step up. Not to be. It's a worry going into finals.

People can spin it all they like, that was a poxy performance against the worst team in the AFL who every other team have belted, they kick straighter in the first half and it is more than likely game over. Lucky we had Ryan out there otherwise we would have lost that game, he turned the game for us in the 2nd quarter.

We have a strong forward line, one of the strongest, and our first choice when we get the ball across half back is to look sideways or go backwards, you don't have time to play the kick mark in this shortened version of the game, get the ball moving to our forwards and give them space to work.

Sadly other than 1 or 2 games during the season we have played bog ordinary football for long periods of games, with very little effort, and have relied on a burst here and there to win games. I hope i'm wrong but i cannot see us pushing the likes of Power, Lions or Tigers in a final, we just don't have the desire or enough talent to step up to that level. We struggle in QLD with the conditions because it requires you to get down and dirty and commit to the ball, not only last night , but quite often our players will go with one handed tackles, or snatch at the ball.

Yes we have players coming back, but they will be underdone. Doesn't sound like Yeo or Redden will be back and they are the two will actually get down and dirty in the contest. Of the others only Shuey has been half decent, Cripps has under performed this year, and given he has just welcomed a new child into this crazy world, his mind will be elsewhere, and now he has to go into quarantine like the rest of them.

The issue of our forward line is alarming and for some reason even in dewey conditions surely we can find a crummer or tackler with some speed to zip around to try and put pressure on... more than once in the first half we had Williams in the square,
Kennedy,darling, ah chee, Waterman and Ryan who was on the 50 line at the bounce.... way too top heavy

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The issue of our forward line is alarming and for some reason even in dewey conditions surely we can find a crummer or tackler with some speed to zip around to try and put pressure on... more than once in the first half we had Williams in the square,
Kennedy,darling, ah chee, Waterman and Ryan who was on the 50 line at the bounce.... way too top heavy

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
They don’t want to play Cameron and now that finals are next I doubt they’ll replace someone with him. Neither Ah Chee or Petch can crumb and Ryan is too busy saving our butts further up the ground. Really bad.

Cameron's still struggling with his OP I think.

Fully fit he's a much better prospect than Ah Chee or Petrcuelle

He's played 2 (or maybe 3) games in the middle of the year after he got over his groin issues, and he is not on our injury list.

He is available.

Potentially he hasn't regained his power and strength. OP is a debilitating condition.

It is also just as likely that he is in poor form/fitness.

It's a shame, this year would be a great year for him to cement his spot in B22, and he has been MIA all year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back