Autopsy Positives and Negatives Vs Norf round 18

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d have to watch the game back again but I remember thinking that Goldy did pretty well tonight. Wasn’t Naita’s b*tch by any stretch.

Wait...b*tch is bleeped but bitches isn’t? Sigh.
This sort of fair and balanced attitude is the reason HB35 won’t be inviting you as a guest commentator

Look it wasn't fun watching that at all. I'd say it was a fairly diabolical performance in the grand scheme of things but when you're missing Kennedy after a quarter (who was poor anyway it must be said), McGovern, Shuey, Yeo, Cripps and Redden you'll take any win you can get in the shitty hub.

Particularly at Metricon. 🚽

+ Gaff won the most contested possessions on the ground (14). Gaff. The skinny outside beatnik. Well done son :whitecheck:

+ Ryan is in amazing form at the moment. Can even turn a statless first quarter into a BOG performance. Taking the piss really :whitecheck:

+ Naitanui train rolls on. Wouldn't say he "smashed" Goldy by any means but continues his very solid 2020. CRUCIAL player to wrestle momentum back :whitecheck:

+ One of Hurns better games, if not the best of the season. I didn't really notice him so much but his stats are huge :whitecheck:

+ Normally i don't notice Duggan so much either but he impressed me in the midfield. Doesn't have the polish but is far from disgraced. 20 touches, 3 tackles :whitecheck:

+ Happy enough with Sheeds solid game, it's what we need to expect from him now. 23 touches, 12 contested, 4 tackles and 5 clearances :whitecheck:

+ Ainsworths best game for a while. Should've finished with 2 goals.

- Broken tackle stat has been mentioned already, but also lost the contested posessions, inside 50's against a rabble 🗑

- Ah Chee is in the negatives column this week which is probably harsh but fair for a player who does half things good and half things bad. Hard to have a player who's constantly taking almost marks, spoiling our forwards, cooking elementary handballs or missing easy set shots in the positives really. Although watching him crack in at important times and is good :heavymultiply:

- Kelly with a poor game, against s**t opposition too. I feel his poor/serviceable/good games have been about a 30/50/20 split this year :heavymultiply:

- Cole quiet, 7 touches. Barrass 4 touches, 1 mark for an entire game. Waterman fairly invisible with 8 touches, 1 mark and no score :heavymultiply:

- I know i had him in the positives as well but i really don't see a future for Ainsworth at AFL level and hope he isn't retained. It's his 3rd season and he's pushed off the ball and monstered like a first year player. He doesn't have the skills or confidence, and is a real momentum killer. "Best clearance player in his draft" who had 3 contested possessions from his 11, 0 clearances and constantly lost his feet and went to ground in 1v1 situations :heavymultiply:

- Had low expectations but i still expected more from Foley. Figured it might be a nice and easy night out against a crap, soft team and he only touched the pill 3 times, looked fumbly and unclean below his feet, and was beaten a few times in defense. 73% TOG too. :heavymultiply:

- Petrucelle just gets worse and worse. Eventually the "he's raw, still learning" credits will run out for him. He's played 28 games now, including a couple big finals and still looks well off the pace with his attack on the footy and skills by foot. Looked better in his first 8 games than his last 20 :chartdown:

We really need to work on our midfield depth in the next few years, the cupboard is bare after Shuey (30yrs old), Redden (29yrs), Gaff (28yrs), Yeo (26yrs), Kelly (26yrs) and Hutchings (29yrs), they are our mainstays who have carried the mids for a while, and whilst they do not seem that old, the travel factor has to be added to their bodies except for Kelly. We have enough talls that we do not need to focus on that in the next few drafts.

Look it wasn't fun watching that at all. I'd say it was a fairly diabolical performance in the grand scheme of things but when you're missing Kennedy after a quarter (who was poor anyway it must be said), McGovern, Shuey, Yeo, Cripps and Redden you'll take any win you can get in the shitty hub.

Particularly at Metricon. 🚽

+ Gaff won the most contested possessions on the ground (14). Gaff. The skinny outside beatnik. Well done son :whitecheck:

+ Ryan is in amazing form at the moment. Can even turn a statless first quarter into a BOG performance. Taking the piss really :whitecheck:

+ Naitanui train rolls on. Wouldn't say he "smashed" Goldy by any means but continues his very solid 2020. CRUCIAL player to wrestle momentum back :whitecheck:

+ One of Hurns better games, if not the best of the season. I didn't really notice him so much but his stats are huge :whitecheck:

+ Normally i don't notice Duggan so much either but he impressed me in the midfield. Doesn't have the polish but is far from disgraced. 20 touches, 3 tackles :whitecheck:

+ Happy enough with Sheeds solid game, it's what we need to expect from him now. 23 touches, 12 contested, 4 tackles and 5 clearances :whitecheck:

+ Ainsworths best game for a while. Should've finished with 2 goals.

- Broken tackle stat has been mentioned already, but also lost the contested posessions, inside 50's against a rabble 🗑

- Ah Chee is in the negatives column this week which is probably harsh but fair for a player who does half things good and half things bad. Hard to have a player who's constantly taking almost marks, spoiling our forwards, cooking elementary handballs or missing easy set shots in the positives really. Although watching him crack in at important times and is good :heavymultiply:

- Kelly with a poor game, against sh*t opposition too. I feel his poor/serviceable/good games have been about a 30/50/20 split this year :heavymultiply:

- Cole quiet, 7 touches. Barrass 4 touches, 1 mark for an entire game. Waterman fairly invisible with 8 touches, 1 mark and no score :heavymultiply:

- I know i had him in the positives as well but i really don't see a future for Ainsworth at AFL level and hope he isn't retained. It's his 3rd season and he's pushed off the ball and monstered like a first year player. He doesn't have the skills or confidence, and is a real momentum killer. "Best clearance player in his draft" who had 3 contested possessions from his 11, 0 clearances and constantly lost his feet and went to ground in 1v1 situations :heavymultiply:

- Had low expectations but i still expected more from Foley. Figured it might be a nice and easy night out against a crap, soft team and he only touched the pill 3 times, looked fumbly and unclean below his feet, and was beaten a few times in defense. 73% TOG too. :heavymultiply:

- Petrucelle just gets worse and worse. Eventually the "he's raw, still learning" credits will run out for him. He's played 28 games now, including a couple big finals and still looks well off the pace with his attack on the footy and skills by foot. Looked better in his first 8 games than his last 20 :chartdown:
Harsh but fair.
Nic lifts when he has to.
Foley - well it was a tough game for many - manic swarming hords playing their GF, umpires for the QAFL reserves, and very slippery. I have to feel for these guys who have effectively not played all year and then get thrown in to fill holes.
EDIT: - my aplogies to the QAFL Reserves.

We really need to work on our midfield depth in the next few years, the cupboard is bare after Shuey (30yrs old), Redden (29yrs), Gaff (28yrs), Yeo (26yrs), Kelly (26yrs) and Hutchings (29yrs), they are our mainstays who have carried the mids for a while, and whilst they do not seem that old, the travel factor has to be added to their bodies except for Kelly. We have enough talls that we do not need to focus on that in the next few drafts.

Trade Targets:

All currently out of contract at the end of 2021

1. Robertson
  2. Rivers
  3. Sharp
  4. Powell
Given we haven't drafted with a first round pick for a number of years, I would preference 1 or 2 of the above over the draft.

Our medical team "JK has a garden variety rolled ankle. No damage done"

Also our medical team 3 weeks later: "the ankle hasn't quite come up. Subsequently, we have decided to amputate"
You sound like you went for a job at WCE as a medico and got knocked back so take every available to pot shot them.

+ryan, nn, duggmeister, shep.

- kayos shitty apple tv interface ffs just copy netflix and literally everyone elses interface dont invent your own far shittier interface -

who honestly thought they could improve on a button that you press and say “go forward five minutes and twenty seconds” with a button press, a swipe forwards, a swipe backwards, swipe forwards etc etc, ooops ive swiped to the end and seen the score....

fu kayo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You sound like you went for a job at WCE as a medico and got knocked back so take every available to pot shot them.

I am not based that far west, if I didnt have my own office back further east, i would probably in all sincerity put in a resume 😂

Ita nothing personal, but in all truth are medical and high performance team are really just that rubbish

Case in point; despite all the BS and bluff and bluster thats coming out of the club, Elliot Yeo won't play again this season. And this whole flare up of OP occurred after something he did at training. Thats quite simply poor management. Also factor in that Shuey got sent back on the ground because, and i quote "he had already tweaked the hamstring and the medical team didn't think he could do any more damage" and subsequently, came back on and did more damage 🤦‍♂️

Truly, we could be much, much better in this regard

Trade Targets:

All currently out of contract at the end of 2021

1. Robertson
  2. Rivers
  3. Sharp
  4. Powell
Given we haven't drafted with a first round pick for a number of years, I would preference 1 or 2 of the above over the draft.
I’d add Warner and Truscoe to that list and take out Powell.

Jordan Clark will be a mid but has been played as hbf at Geelong due to their depth.

Given our draft track record, I doubt we will get good mids. That said our trade record is good.

Question for the summer - can Duggan and/or Cole be given a preseason as a mid.

I’d add Warner and Truscoe to that list and take out Powell.

Jordan Clark will be a mid but has been played as hbf at Geelong due to their depth.

Given our draft track record, I doubt we will get good mids. That said our trade record is good.

Question for the summer - can Duggan and/or Cole be given a preseason as a mid.

Cole to the forward line!

How is he supposed to work on these fundamentals?

Working on them in an AFL game isn't helping the cause. It's almost like he's got the yips with his field kicking.

The sight of Petrcuelle getting clear only to shank the resulting kick was common in the tail end of last year, and it seems to have gotten worse this year.

Petch just needs to focus on the fundamentals. And not his basketball background :basketball:

Run to space, take a mark. See a loose ball, gather it off the deck and handball it off to someone. Chase the opposition when your team doesn't have the ball.

Right now he's mixing flashy at times when he shouldn't. He'll go to speed off when he hasn't taken full possession yet. He'll tap kick it short to someone when he should go long. He tries to rush at players to nail someone in a tackle only to be brushed aside or sidestepped.

7 of his 8 disposals last night were contested. That's more than almost half our team, decent :whitecheck:

It's not like he didn't try, it just once again didn't click for him. He should've had at least one goal as well. Two if his brilliant snap sailed through.

I hope we squeeze every last shuffle and goal out of Kennedy's career, but a positive for me was seeing Oscar become the man last night after Josh left the ground.

Oscar's such a good human being that he respects that he is the 3rd of 3 talls, and sometimes it shows. I loved seeing him showing a bit of alpha and prowling the goal square before centre bounces.

A concern for me was watching us struggle to contain North when they were handballing in a line vertically until they found the breakout kick. North suck, so they were not that good at it, but you can see that Shaw wants them to play like that. Even without much skill, they hurt us a few times by unlocking someone over the back.

Richmond and the Bulldogs, as we know, are masters with that style and it is particularly effective in wet/dewy conditions. Our philosophy of not being a high pressure team, and that we just don't tackle well, means that game style is kryptonite for us. That's a worry.

Not many, if any clubs have the depth to cover 4 to 4 of their starting mids.

Did we really learn how to play? Did we really adapt to QLD? I think that's questionable. We look like a 5th-6th place team in QLD while we look like a top 2 team in perth. That's the sad thing.
Yeah we definitely did, we lost our first three games in our first hub by 44, 30 and 48 points and then beat two bad sides. In all three of those games we were terrible in the slippery conditions. Hub two, we adapted better to the conditions and lost to Tigers by 27 (but I think we gave away some cheap free kicks inside fwd 50 plus Riewaldt got a very soft in the back), beat Bombers, just lost to Dogs, beat Saints and Norf. We looked totally different, and in hub two we didn't have the personal we had in hub 1!

I don't know but did anyone else notice a lot of holding the man off the ball??
Seemed Sheed was getting held at ruck contests constantly as well as Kelly. Then around the ground NicNat seemed to have an arm held or getting blocked, particularly in marking contests.
It was as though they got away with it early so it got worse as the game went on without punishment, except when Sheed did it to Anderson 10 seconds after Anderson did the exact thing to him.

we ground out a win in difficult conditions that do our game plan no favours at all after losing another key player before half time.
Yes it was an ugly game and we didn't win by 1000 pts against the worst team the AFL has ever seen. But it was that teams last game for the year and they threw a lot more at us than they have in a while.

Replace Foley, Petrol, Williams, Schoey, possibly Ainsworth with Shuey, Yeo, Gov, Redden and Cripps and we are a completely different team.

Nelson, Duggan, Hurn, Gaff, NicNat, Ryan and Shepp all get a tick, Sheed under a lot of attention also did well.

Where the hell was last weeks Barrass?????? no more last nights Barrass please.

Negative - Kicking in after a Behind.

The bomb it long to the right has been a staple of the Eagles gameplan for years now. It did used to be closer to the boundary line, but recently it's more towards the side of the of the centre square where NicNat and JD provide a contest with the aim of knocking it forward so we can get out the back. Looks great when it works, but here's the hot tip - teams watch the replays and like last night, set up a couple pf players just behind that initial contest which leads to a repeat 50 entry. ffs can we change it up in any way? Maybe go the other side? Crazy i know..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back